Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Re: Booing the other team's national anthem

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Ok, didnt want to return to this thread for obvious reasons.......but robroys below comment has forced my haand.....

We Irish didn''t boo the English national anthem when played

When we have played Ireland at football, we have had our anthem booed everytime, had chants about "hope the queen dies of cancer" to all sorts of disgusting crap boasts about your "successful" bombings of innocent women and children" , so dont come on here playng the innocent little Ireland card, because its bollox, ive witnessed Irish hospitality at a football match, and your lot were how the English were in the 70s - if not worse, infact it went far far beyond hooliganism, with vile sickening songs, about various bombings you seemed proud of, and hoping death on others from the queen to others we wont mention who have passed on................been to Ireland for non football and been treated well, same as Irish are treated well over here, you only have to look at how many irish pubs people drink in over the country.......Innocent friendly irish v england at football is an absoloute joke of a myth......[/quote]Well said AW [Y]

Arthur. I think you''ve outted robroy for the fake he is. When people from 3rd World countried like Sierra Leone, Haiti, The Republic of Ireland, or Mali claim to pity those from countries that lead the world, then you know they are really just plain jealous they didn''t have the fortune to be born and raised in such a successful place.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Robroy - I just wonder how much you really know your Irish history, you talk about "the English" then "the British", make your mind up. It so easy for the Scots and Irish to blame the "English" for eveything, years of oppression blah blah blah, most people seem to think the problems in Ireland are a recent thing but you can trace the problem back centuries!! Unfortanely most people appear to get their history from Hollywood movies, Braveheart is a great example of this, Edward "Longshanks" is portrayed as this terrible Englishman when in fact he is the great grandson of William the Conqueror, and the truth of that particular conflict was it was mainly Scots against Scots with very few Englishmen involved, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. If you have a little poke around this part of the country you soon find evidence of invasion and oppression, the Norman keep in Norwich, the Roman village at Caistor St Edmund, the village signs depicting Norse longships (South Walsham and Somerleyton), the placenames derived from Norse and Saxon (Herringfleet)..... The real "Troubles" started the day the Normans invaded Ireland way back in the 1160`s......[/quote]

Well said.

OTBC

Booing at football is about ignorance and general lack of respect in society it has nothing to do with historical grievance...if it did our anthem would be booed wherever we go. Atrocities carried out by the English / British are comparable with any of those mentioned on here (google the 1943 Bengal famine for an example of what we are capable of as a race even in recent history)

HA HA!!!!! John Morlar has nailed it.

Booing anthems is nothing more than trying to piss off the opposing fans.

Most of the players are not into it, and the few that are are into it so don''t pay attention to the crowd.

It''s tasteless, but if it enfuraites the rival fans, the JOB WELL DONE.

I wouldn''t do it, but the effect is not captured by the players, and they are the ones who really matter.

Oh say can you seeeeeeee......

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Most of the players are not into it, and the few that are are into it so don''t pay attention to the crowd.

I wouldn''t do it, but the effect is not captured by the players, and they are the ones who really matter.

Oh say can you seeeeeeee......[/quote]What in God''s holy name are you blabbering on about, man?  This entire post makes absolutely no sense!

[quote user="John Morlar"]

Isn''t it really only about booing the opposition and is no different to booing Ipswich when we play them?

[/quote]If you want to boo an opposing team, go ahead and let yourself down.  But do you not see any difference between booing during a match, and booing during another country''s national anthem?

I think some comments on here have very little to do with football and more to do with the individuals own prejudices. It seems that in some people''s eyes there is a time limit on horrific acts and that the Japanese haven''t quite past it yet.

I''m biased, I lived in Japan and married a Japanese lady, and enjoyed my time there immensly. There is a true feeling of regret and sadness about what happened all those years ago. But how long must the current and future generations be held responsible for the actions of others 70 years a go?

Booing a national anthem is disrespectful. How would you all feel if other nations from North America, through Africa, Asia and the Austrilasia booed ours based on how past generations of Brits acted?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]HA HA!!!!! John Morlar has nailed it.

Booing anthems is nothing more than trying to piss off the opposing fans.

Most of the players are not into it, and the few that are are into it so don''t pay attention to the crowd.

Oh say can you seeeeeeee......[/quote]Having been to a fair few sporting events in your country and seen how seriously the star spangled banner is taken, I reckon if people from another country started booing that there would be hell to pay.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]That''s a ''thread-puller'' if ever I saw one! [:O]
[/quote]Sorry CC, but I''m damn annoyed about us even playing them..........its insensitive to the Burma Star lads, yes, times moves on, but not for our boys left in Burma''s makeshift graves.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Clipped Canary"]That''s a ''thread-puller'' if ever I saw one! [:O]
[/quote]Sorry CC, but I''m damn annoyed about us even playing them..........its insensitive to the Burma Star lads, yes, times moves on, but not for our boys left in Burma''s makeshift graves.[/quote]

rightly or wrongly, I reckon that nation probably paid a high price for those actions with the events of Hiroshima?, as an earlier poster said, it probably shouldn''t affect a football match in 2010?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]No relevance to 22 people kicking a ball around a pitch in 2010 Unless members of your family suffered maybe....I doubt that is why they are booing, but what they done lives long in the memory of familys involved..........I know people to this day wont have a japanese TV, car etc.......might not understand unless it was your family I guess.[/quote]The japs by nature are a sadistic, whale killing race, even modern nips are. I lost a family member to those slitty eyed f**** and I would always dis-respect their anthem and flag.

[/quote]

I really do feel sad for you.
[/quote]Thats your right Mr C, but I won''t ever budge on it, its far too important to me.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Clipped Canary"]That''s a ''thread-puller'' if ever I saw one! [:O] [/quote]Sorry CC, but I''m damn annoyed about us even playing them..........its insensitive to the Burma Star lads, yes, times moves on, but not for our boys left in Burma''s makeshift graves.[/quote]

rightly or wrongly, I reckon that nation probably paid a high price for those actions with the events of Hiroshima?, as an earlier poster said, it probably shouldn''t affect a football match in 2010?

[/quote]Lol, good point.Hiroshima and Nagasaki about makes it even.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Clipped Canary"]That''s a ''thread-puller'' if ever I saw one! [:O]
[/quote]Sorry CC, but I''m damn annoyed about us even playing them..........its insensitive to the Burma Star lads, yes, times moves on, but not for our boys left in Burma''s makeshift graves.[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, good point.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki about makes it even.
[/quote]

Not in my eyes it doesn''t Morty, nothing ever will, some scars never heal.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Clipped Canary"]That''s a ''thread-puller'' if ever I saw one! [:O] [/quote]Sorry CC, but I''m damn annoyed about us even playing them..........its insensitive to the Burma Star lads, yes, times moves on, but not for our boys left in Burma''s makeshift graves.[/quote]

[/quote]Lol, good point.Hiroshima and Nagasaki about makes it even.[/quote]

[/quote]Well apart from killing them in their hundreds of thousands we also gave them the gift of birth defects and cancers for future generations.Nuclear weapons, the present that just keeps giving and giving.[Y]

So we should always boo the anthems of:
  • Germany because of WW1 & WW2
  • Japan because of WW2
  • Italy because of WW2 and obviously for invading us earlier
  • Russia for the first half of WW2
  • Poland, France, Belgium as they were occupied by the Nazis during WW2
  • France for the Norman conquest
  • Spain for the Armada
  • Denmark, Norway, Sweden for Viking pillagers
  • Holland and South Africa for the Boer War
  • The USA for the Boston Tea Party
  • Iceland for the Cod Wars
  • And most of the rest of the world for not supporting the war in Iraq & Afghanistan
And pretty much every country should boo our anthem.Glad we''ve cleared that up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So we should always boo the anthems of:
  • Japan because of WW2
  • Spain for the Armada
  • And most of the rest of the world for not supporting the war in Iraq & Afghanistan
And pretty much every country should boo our anthem.Glad we''ve cleared that up.[/quote]You forgot the steenking Argies for the Falklands and the hand of God.[:)]

• Japan because of WW2
  • Spain for the Armada
And pretty much every country should boo our anthem.Glad we''ve cleared that up.[/quote]I think we may still be ok with Monaco............. Here''s hoping! [Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]So we should always boo the anthems of:
  • Japan because of WW2
  • Spain for the Armada
And pretty much every country should boo our anthem.Glad we''ve cleared that up.[/quote]You forgot the steenking Argies for the Falklands and the hand of God.[:)][/quote]And Korea (North and South, just to be on the safe side).And most of southern Africa as I''m sure "Zulu" was based on one of those tinpot countries.I''m sure Alexander the Great did something to fuck us up, so let''s have Greece as well.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]I think we may still be ok with Monaco............. Here''s hoping! [Y][/quote]In 1943, the Italian army invaded and occupied Monaco, setting up a Fascist

administration. Shortly thereafter, following Mussolini''s collapse in

Italy, the Nazi

German Wehrmacht occupied Monaco and began the

deportation of the Jewish population.

Taking the mickey aside, I actually completely respect Wiz''s right to bear a grudge on this particular issue.[:)]

• Japan because of WW2

• Spain for the Armada

And pretty much every country should boo our anthem.

Glad we''ve cleared that up.
[/quote]

What did the Romans ever do for us ?!?

p.s you''ve missed out Ireland & Aregentina !!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Lol, good point.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki about makes it even.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well apart from killing them in their hundreds of thousands we also gave them the gift of birth defects and cancers for future generations.

Nuclear weapons, the present that just keeps giving and giving.

[Y]
[/quote]Look Morty lade, I''m just an old fart who''ll never change and I''m immune to the old death quota, sob story lark too, I don''t like them, I trust them even less, they eat raw fish, kill tigers, whales and dolphins and polute the planet...............so give em'' hell is ok with me.

But don''t worry, people with my views are fast dying out, and once we''re dead and gone, the world will be just one big melting pot of slitty eyed, rainbow coloured  f*ckwits!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Well apart from killing them in their hundreds of thousands we also gave them the gift of birth defects and cancers for future generations.Nuclear weapons, the present that just keeps giving and giving.[Y][/quote]Look Morty lade, I''m just an old fart who''ll never change and I''m immune to the old death quota, sob story lark too, I don''t like them, I trust them even less, they eat raw fish, kill tigers, whales and dolphins and polute the planet...............so give em'' hell is ok with me.

But don''t worry, people with my views are fast dying out, and once we''re dead and gone, the world will be just one big melting pot of slitty eyed, rainbow coloured  f*ckwits!

[/quote]You had my sympathy and respect for just a minute there too lol.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Well apart from killing them in their hundreds of thousands we also gave them the gift of birth defects and cancers for future generations.Nuclear weapons, the present that just keeps giving and giving.[Y][/quote]Look Morty lade, I''m just an old fart who''ll never change and I''m immune to the old death quota, sob story lark too, I don''t like them, I trust them even less, they eat raw fish, kill tigers, whales and dolphins and polute the planet...............so give em'' hell is ok with me.

[/quote]Yeah it''s such a shame we don''t live in a society full of imbalanced, racist idiots like yourself.

[quote user="morty"]Taking the mickey aside, I actually completely respect Wiz''s right to bear a grudge on this particular issue.[:)][/quote]In all seriousness, it must be very tough for my grandfather''s generation (men in their 80s now, I guess) who did risk their lives fighting against another country''s war machine.  I can completely understand why grudges would be borne given some of the horrible things we do to each other in the name of conquest.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"]Taking the mickey aside, I actually completely respect Wiz''s right to bear a grudge on this particular issue.[:)][/quote]In all seriousness, it must be very tough for my grandfather''s generation (men in their 80s now, I guess) who did risk their lives fighting against another country''s war machine.  I can completely understand why grudges would be borne given some of the horrible things we do to each other in the name of conquest.[/quote]Completely agree.[Y]