Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Re: Booing the other team's national anthem

The Brits brought the idea of concentration camps to the fore in the Boer War - so maybe the South Africans should boo the English anthem. But, then England boo France because of Agincourt, or any other pathetic excuse. Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland both have a terrible history with England, but you will be hard pressed to hear us booing, England fans were also busy ripping apart the stadium when England let in a goal.

HA HA. You are going to hit me??? if you are on target like Lampard''s penalty taking skills then you couldn''t hit side of a barn from 2cm out..

I am only ribbing you lot. Capello was saying before the match that there are no friendlies and that England will win the World Cup Final - one word of advice is that you should never discount or disrespect your opponents, as the thinking that you have already won before the tournament even begins is the first step towards failure.

[quote user="robroy12"]I am only ribbing you lot. Capello was saying before the match that there are no friendlies and that England will win the World Cup Final - one word of advice is that you should never discount or disrespect your opponents, as the thinking that you have already won before the tournament even begins is the first step towards failure.[/quote]

Difficult to take advice from a country that didn''t even qualify.

Allez Les Blues, J''aime Thierry Henry !!

I have never once felt hatred towards you English - only pity. Because with such militancy and empire building in past has brought Britain into so many conflicts and wars - mostly for dubious reasons such drugs (Opium wars - China), Oil (Iraq & Afghanistan), Land and Food (Ireland), Gas (Argentina) and protecting its empire (Germany, Spain, Japan). That St. George''s Day throughout the world doesn''t even register - yet the World always love the real, and fun Craic of St. Patrick''s Day.

So I feel real pity for the English, and no hatred at all.

[quote user="robroy12"]I am only ribbing you lot. Capello was saying before the match that there are no friendlies and that England will win the World Cup Final - one word of advice is that you should never discount or disrespect your opponents, as the thinking that you have already won before the tournament even begins is the first step towards failure.[/quote]

Disrespect our opponents? LOL Go suck on a lemmon [:)]

I don''t even follow football, I just don''t like the show of disrespect from these people to another country''s anthem. I compete internationally in athletes and I have always stood to attention and respected whatever anthem is played. I would expect the same level of respect back.

[quote user="robroy12"]I don''t even follow football, I just don''t like the show of disrespect from these people to another country''s anthem. I compete internationally in athletes and I have always stood to attention and respected whatever anthem is played. I would expect the same level of respect back.[/quote]#spot on!

[quote user="robroy12"]I have never once felt hatred towards you English - only pity. Because with such militancy and empire building in past has brought Britain into so many conflicts and wars - mostly for dubious reasons such drugs (Opium wars - China), Oil (Iraq & Afghanistan), Land and Food (Ireland), Gas (Argentina) and protecting its empire (Germany, Spain, Japan). That St. George''s Day throughout the world doesn''t even register - yet the World always love the real, and fun Craic of St. Patrick''s Day. So I feel real pity for the English, and no hatred at all.[/quote]

I think we''ll still be able to sleep tonight, despite your "pity".

I suppose the tens of thousands of people from all over the world who want to come and live,work and study in England because it is one of the most fair-minded,culturally-diverse and free countries on the planet might just get over that ''pity'' aswell. - including the thousands of Irish over here!

I think the English fans will boo the American anthem. What the English Fans should do is what the Irish fans did for the English anthem at Croke Park, February 2007, when Ireland played England in the Rugby. Suffice it to say we won, but the terrible history of the black and tan massacre was cast into the past.

Yeah, You are right. England does need intelligent, people who can read and write. My father lives in England, and has cancer, and is getting first class care and treatment from Doctors from Ireland, India and England, as well as nurses from Ireland and Indonesia. I rather have them look after my father than a illiterate yob from the BNP.

[quote user="robroy12"]I think the English fans will boo the American anthem. What the English Fans should do is what the Irish fans did for the English anthem at Croke Park, February 2007, when Ireland played England in the Rugby. Suffice it to say we won, but the terrible history of the black and tan massacre was cast into the past.[/quote]

Rugby fans in general are a great deal more respectful than football fans, this is common knowledge. Football has always had a high level of thugish and disrespectful behavior from a minority of fans, and it''s by no means just England. If Ireland were to play England in a fooball match once again then it would be attended by a different audience to that of a Rugby and I am sure they would boo the English national anthem just as they did in 1995.

[quote user="robroy12"]Yeah, You are right. England does need intelligent, people who can read and write. My father lives in England, and has cancer, and is getting first class care and treatment from Doctors from Ireland, India and England, as well as nurses from Ireland and Indonesia. I rather have them look after my father than a illiterate yob from the BNP.[/quote]

there you go, we''re not all bad then are we ??. ........one other point, we''re it not for your much-loathed "British Empire", I wonder if that particular Indian gentleman practising his medicine in England would even be here in the first place !?!

Robroy12, thanks for the offer of pity and sentiments of same towards "us" English, but honestly, not asked for, needed, or required.

There was a similar thread on this yesterday and over the previous few days.

Attitude of many, myself included, is that we are the nationality we are through accident of birth, something we had had no choice in, nor, as a consequence, should feel "contractually obliged" to feel pride, love, or slavish devotion towards that country of birth.

I am very well aware, thankyou very much, of the atrocities that the ruling minority of this country have carried out throughout history, but I played no part in them, would not have done, abhor them and the people involved in them...but will not, ever, take partial blame, or feel I have to apologise or feel guilty for being English!

So by that token, can you understand why I feel a tad offended when peoples all around the world decide to hate me for that fact, and say they "feel pity" for me as an English born person. Don''t pity me, and don''t hate me please, I took no formal or informal decision in the proceeds and am certainly not responsible for being English, but I AM responsible for my behaviour and conduct as a human being; my nationality or race, whatever, doesn''t come into it.

But to get to the point...no, I don''t like the booing of other teams national anthems either. It is embarassing beyond belief, as is, the antics of that bloody "band" who follow England everywhere, and who, today, were once again churning out that tuneless, soulless, pointless rubbish that they do, throughout the match.

Was that before or after the England fans went on rampage after England went behind, I know that may be hard to determine which time - as England fans go on a rampage everytime. I used to run for England, and Northern Ireland, as well as Britain and now Ireland and stood to attention no matter which national anthem is played. I used to tell my teammates to hold still and show respect in France, Spain, Italy and Germany when we ran there. We Irish athletes have an unwritten rule in regards to the English anthem, and that is to stand to attention and show respect. We would expect the same throughout.

[quote user="robroy12"]Yeah, You are right. England does need intelligent, people who can read and write. My father lives in England, and has cancer, and is getting first class care and treatment from Doctors from Ireland, India and England, as well as nurses from Ireland and Indonesia. I rather have them look after my father than a illiterate yob from the BNP.[/quote]

just like your yobs without the balls to fight properly but rather fill a car full of eplosives and injur and kill innocent people.

Why is the grass in ireland so green? because they trampling all over ours.

[quote user="robroy12"]Was that before or after the England fans went on rampage after England went behind, I know that may be hard to determine which time - as England fans go on a rampage everytime. I used to run for England, and Northern Ireland, as well as Britain and now Ireland and stood to attention no matter which national anthem is played. I used to tell my teammates to hold still and show respect in France, Spain, Italy and Germany when we ran there. We Irish athletes have an unwritten rule in regards to the English anthem, and that is to stand to attention and show respect. We would expect the same throughout.[/quote]

Yes but you can''t speak for all people in Ireland, it''s no good trying to paint a picture that all England football fans are thugs who show no respect for other Nations while everyone else acts appropriately. While I accept England has it''s fair share of thugish morons who follow England away, were by no means alone. Like I said before football has a way of attracting the most hateful bigots on the planet. I''m sure an Ireland v England football match would get the attention of the hateful Irish IRA "freedom fighter" supporters that still exists in Ireland. Do you think they would hesitate to boo a national anthem? So please don''t try to make out that it''s just England fans who lack respect, Spain, Germany, Poland, Scotland and Wales have all recently had it''s fair share of disgusting behavior by fans at football. But that''s just football for you.

[quote user="City penguin"]

just like your yobs without the balls to fight properly but rather fill a car full of eplosives and injur and kill innocent people.

Why is the grass in ireland so green? because they trampling all over ours.

[/quote]

uh-oh, we''ve cranked this up a notch now !!!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Robroy12, thanks for the offer of pity and sentiments of same towards "us" English, but honestly, not asked for, needed, or required. There was a similar thread on this yesterday and over the previous few days. Attitude of many, myself included, is that we are the nationality we are through accident of birth, something we had had no choice in, nor, as a consequence, should feel "contractually obliged" to feel pride, love, or slavish devotion towards that country of birth. I am very well aware, thankyou very much, of the atrocities that the ruling minority of this country have carried out throughout history, but I played no part in them, would not have done, abhor them and the people involved in them...but will not, ever, take partial blame, or feel I have to apologise or feel guilty for being English! So by that token, can you understand why I feel a tad offended when peoples all around the world decide to hate me for that fact, and say they "feel pity" for me as an English born person. Don''t pity me, and don''t hate me please, I took no formal or informal decision in the proceeds and am certainly not responsible for being English, but I AM responsible for my behaviour and conduct as a human being; my nationality or race, whatever, doesn''t come into it. But to get to the point...no, I don''t like the booing of other teams national anthems either. It is embarassing beyond belief, as is, the antics of that bloody "band" who follow England everywhere, and who, today, were once again churning out that tuneless, soulless, pointless rubbish that they do, throughout the match.[/quote]

Well said Old Shuck, agree 100%.

Re. the ''Ingerlund'' boneheads, they imagine themselves so patriotic but bring shame on this country wherever they go.  Because of this I follow England from afar, I wouldn''t be caught dead at an England game.

[quote user="robroy12"]I don''t even follow football, I just don''t like the show of disrespect from these people to another country''s anthem. I compete internationally in athletes and I have always stood to attention and respected whatever anthem is played. I would expect the same level of respect back.[/quote]Errr........ then why are you commenting on a football forum then or even looking at one????

The other thing to note is that today at Lords, Tamim Iqbal scored a hundred for Bangladesh and got a standing ovation from all the spectators, English and Bangladeshi.  Rugby fans respect each other''s anthems and teams, despite the on pitch brutality.  So it does seem fairly unique to football.(Not that Cricket is immune to idiots either - I have been to a few test matches as a guest of the "Barmy Army" and find some of their supporters to be good natured and lively, others to be xenophobic racist, sexist idiots.  One fan at Edgbaston last year spent the whole time shouting out "Snatch" and "MILF" every time women walked past him, and in between times sang various racist songs.  He was a complete knob, and it only takes one "fan" like that to put ten people off.)

Ok, didnt want to return to this thread for obvious reasons.......but robroys below comment has forced my haand.....

We Irish didn''t boo the English national anthem when played

When we have played Ireland at football, we have had our anthem booed everytime, had chants about "hope the queen dies of cancer" to all sorts of disgusting crap boasts about your "successful" bombings of innocent women and children" , so dont come on here playng the innocent little Ireland card, because its bollox, ive witnessed Irish hospitality at a football match, and your lot were how the English were in the 70s - if not worse, infact it went far far beyond hooliganism, with vile sickening songs, about various bombings you seemed proud of, and hoping death on others from the queen to others we wont mention who have passed on................been to Ireland for non football and been treated well, same as Irish are treated well over here, you only have to look at how many irish pubs people drink in over the country.......Innocent friendly irish v england at football is an absoloute joke of a myth......

Oh and Dublin 95, my last visit for a football match, the press, oh those honest guys, made abig thing about English hooligans ruining the day and the game being called off.....barely a mention of what actually started it.......look it up mate, you will find the true story about why English fans reacted so badly and its too sick to start to think about again............I witnessed big groups of Irish picking off small groups, even pairs, of English supporters in large numbers, both the day before the game, and the day of the match...till english fans got together and walked to the game as a group, knowing it was the only safe way, ......I was there, and bloody lucky to get out alive thanks to a few lads from Charlton and Wigan, seeing what was about to happen to me and my friend......dont try and fool me mate....i was there....you are talking out of your arse!!!

Robroy - I just wonder how much you really know your Irish history, you talk about "the English" then "the British", make your mind up. It so easy for the Scots and Irish to blame the "English" for eveything, years of oppression blah blah blah, most people seem to think the problems in Ireland are a recent thing but you can trace the problem back centuries!! Unfortanely most people appear to get their history from Hollywood movies, Braveheart is a great example of this, Edward "Longshanks" is portrayed as this terrible Englishman when in fact he is the great grandson of William the Conqueror, and the truth of that particular conflict was it was mainly Scots against Scots with very few Englishmen involved, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. If you have a little poke around this part of the country you soon find evidence of invasion and oppression, the Norman keep in Norwich, the Roman village at Caistor St Edmund, the village signs depicting Norse longships (South Walsham and Somerleyton), the placenames derived from Norse and Saxon (Herringfleet).....

The real "Troubles" started the day the Normans invaded Ireland way back in the 1160`s......

Embarrassing. Needs to be cut out, because it just makes us look loutish and disrespectful. Doesn''t help the team and if anything, is more likely to galvanise the opposition.