Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Re: Booing the other team's national anthem

Pathetic and embarrasing. One of the reasons England won''t win their world cup bid.

Really lacks class to boo Japan''s national anthem in a friendly match.

Perhaps, perhaps not, maybe people havent forgotten what sadistic bastards the japs were to our boys...anyone whos relatives felt the wrath of their disgusting toryre might understand...at least the Germans POW camps didnt invole horrific torture....did Mexicos anthem get booed monday???

Was it just me or on around 12 minutes did someone shout Capello you f-ing w#nker???

Dial M for murder on channel 5 looks a good shout at the moment....classic Hitchcock at his best.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]maybe people havent forgotten what sadistic bastards the japs were to our boys[/quote]No relevance to 22 people kicking a ball around a pitch in 2010.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Really lacks class to boo Japan''s national anthem in a friendly match.

Perhaps, perhaps not, maybe people havent forgotten what sadistic bastards the japs were to our boys...anyone whos relatives felt the wrath of their disgusting toryre might understand...at least the Germans POW camps didnt invole horrific torture....did Mexicos anthem get booed monday???

Was it just me or on around 12 minutes did someone shout Capello you f-ing w#nker???

Dial M for murder on channel 5 looks a good shout at the moment....classic Hitchcock at his best.[/quote]I really don''t think those booing are doing it for some historical memory and you can''t blame the Japanese people of today for the past.  I think you will find the one''s booing are doing it out of utter ignorance.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]really don''t think those booing are doing it for some historical memory

Maybe, maybe not....just throwing it in to the debate.......[/quote]Yep, just a guess really!

No relevance to 22 people kicking a ball around a pitch in 2010

Unless members of your family suffered maybe....I doubt that is why they are booing, but what they done lives long in the memory of familys involved..........I know people to this day wont have a japanese TV, car etc.......might not understand unless it was your family I guess.

Enjoying the Cricket more frankly.  Would have liked to see England bat again for sheer entertainment but hat-off to Bangladesh - if they could learn to concentrate for long periods, they could be a very useful test team.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]No relevance to 22 people kicking a ball around a pitch in 2010

Unless members of your family suffered maybe....I doubt that is why they are booing, but what they done lives long in the memory of familys involved..........I know people to this day wont have a japanese TV, car etc.......might not understand unless it was your family I guess.[/quote]I''m half Polish and have family who died/survived the horrific atrocities of the Nazi''s but you certainly won''t find my Grandma (or me) blaming the German people of today.  In fact my Grandad who was a Lancaster bomer pilot (rip) loved watching Boris Becker play tennis and thought him rather wonderful. Strange old world.

Fair enough Andy, majority of Poles despise the Germans to this day, not all but a lot.

The British and German forces had amutual respect that lasts to this day....banter yes...but respect........British and japs....different matter.....

Most booing probably havent even got a clue waht im refering to, let alone use it as a reason..they are doing it as they do............just saying still hostility from those that suffered.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Really lacks class to boo Japan''s national anthem in a friendly match.

[/quote]

My Grandad was in a concentration camp and the Nazis certainly committed atrocities there - hammered a nail through everyone''s stomach 2 days before the camp (Mauthausen) was liberated, tortured prisoners, lampshades of human skin, medical experiments etc.

Dont try and justify what they did in POW camps, because what they did all over Europe was at least parallel to what the Japs did, if not worse.

On topic - I support Poland, as that''s how I have been brought up, I have tried to support England when Poland aren''t playing but find I actually cant do this because of the behaviour of a small minority of England fans.

Dont try and portray this as an isolated incident - I have heard England fans boo opposition anthems COUNTLESS times.

The reason it has died down in my opinion, is actually TV companies turn the volume of England fans stands down whilst other national anthems are being played.

I would never boo an opposition national anthem regardless of our past historical relations with that specific country. Im sure there are a minority of Polish fans who do boo the German/Russian anthems etc, I cant remember us playing Russia, and the only time I really remember us playing Germany was in Germany so it wasnt obvious if it did happen.

Personally I think it is outrageously disrespectful - The people of Japan are not the same ones who committed the atrocities in POW camps, you cant hold on to history forever.

Does that mean that

Thats your experiences kick it off and thats fair enough, your opinion counts as much as anyones, my friends and familys differ to that. My opinion.

I agree, they are no doubt doing it as it has become a pathetic tradition to boo the other sides anthems.

Just saying there is history with the japs.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Enjoying the Cricket more frankly.  Would have liked to see England bat again for sheer entertainment but hat-off to Bangladesh - if they could learn to concentrate for long periods, they could be a very useful test team. [/quote]Hope Tamim Iqbal gets a hundred, he''s played really well - even if it''s not exactly textbook test match batting.

Dial M for murder on channel 5 looks a good shout at the moment....classic Hitchcock at his best.[/quote]I think we''ve heard it time and time again in all Wembley matches - I don''t think it''s specific to Japan.  Why do it at a neutral venue?  I''m sure a lot of the crowd today are neutrals who applauded both anthems.I''m not saying we should cheer the opposition, but a bit of mutual respect for each other''s anthems wouldn''t hurt.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="AndyJR"]Enjoying the Cricket more frankly.  Would have liked to see England bat again for sheer entertainment but hat-off to Bangladesh - if they could learn to concentrate for long periods, they could be a very useful test team. [/quote]Hope Tamim Iqbal gets a hundred, he''s played really well - even if it''s not exactly textbook test match batting.[/quote]He does seem guilty of throwing the bat at it sometime but agreed, it would be excellent for him to get a ton. 

I think the genereal rule of thumb as to whether a national anthem gets booed or not is whether England have ever been at war with that country ?? (which admitedly is quite a few countries over the last 1000 years or so!!), or whether the opposing football team is regarded as a threat or not (one notable exeception to this is Brazil -who I can never remember being booed).

think we''ve heard it time and time again in all Wembley matches - I don''t think it''s specific to Japan. Why do it at a neutral venue? I''m sure a lot of the crowd today are neutrals who applauded both anthems.

I''m not saying we should cheer the opposition, but a bit of mutual respect for each other''s anthems wouldn''t hurt.

Thats fair enough, we dont boo every national anthem........we didnt boo Northern Irelands when we played them home and away a few years ago..........................£10 to the 1st correct answ

Do you think that those twaats who boo have the inteligence to understand what went on during WW2? Na, I don''t think so.

We have been booing teams for years and it''s a disgraceful and makes us look prats.

Art, we have the same national anthem as NI.

Do you think that those twaats who boo have the inteligence to understand what went on during WW2? Na, I don''t think so

Nor do I, just because I brought this up, doesnt mean that I think thats the reason they booed.....if we had been playing The Isle of wight they would have booed.

[quote user="morty"]The Argies - they can have a booing, for a few reasons.

[:)]
[/quote]

I''d agree with you there!, Argentina together Germany are probably the only two countries where both political AND footballing reasons would come into play!!

England has an "history" with every other country in the world - a small man syndrome of a country that thought it once ruled the world. We Irish didn''t boo the English national anthem when played, despite the 800 years of oppression and genocide. If there is one country in the world that has ever been sadistic it would be England. But, even though all the crimes England has committed against humanity we still stand and respect your national anthem - we would expect likewise, without your xenophobia.

[quote user="robroy12"]England has an "history" with every other country in the world - a small man syndrome of a country that thought it once ruled the world. We Irish didn''t boo the English national anthem when played, despite the 800 years of oppression and genocide. If there is one country in the world that has ever been sadistic it would be England. But, even though all the crimes England has committed against humanity we still stand and respect your national anthem - we would expect likewise, without your xenophobia.[/quote]

are you gonna hit him or shall I ??  lol.