Sign in to follow this  
GB1902

Statue

I know Geoffrey Watling wasn''t a player but I have been thinking today that it would be a great jesture by the club if a statue was erected of him outside the ground. I am sure fans would quite happily dip into there pockets to fund it and I know I would certainely chip in a few quid. Seems like a decent way to honour the man who saved us twice. Anyone else think it''s a good idea?

[quote]There is a part of the stand named after him where I sit in the corner near the River End.Nice idea too.[/quote]

I think you will find Jenny that the whole of that stand is named the Geoffrey Watling Stand. However I do agree that a statue would be a good idea (or even a bust in reception).

great idea!

Outside where the clubshop is and it would look great!

[quote]I know Geoffrey Watling wasn''t a player but I have been thinking today that it would be a great jesture by the club if a statue was erected of him outside the ground. I am sure fans would quite happil...[/quote]

An absolutely cracking idea POA. I''m with you 100 on that.

He''s one of the few men who really deserves this memorial to his work in the City cause and local football.

And what a fitting testimonial to ''Mr Norwich City'' this would be, at I would imagine, a relative low cost.

If the skint binners can afford two, then surely we can afford one.

This should and MUST happen!.

[quote]I think you will find Jenny that the whole of that stand is named the Geoffrey Watling Stand. However I do agree that a statue would be a good idea (or even a bust in reception).[/quote]

It is currently called the Geoffrey Watling City Stand according to some ticket stubs I have here. Drop "City" completely perhaps?

[quote]It is currently called the Geoffrey Watling City Stand according to some ticket stubs I have here. Drop "City" completely perhaps?[/quote]

I''ll go along with shortening the name to the Watling stand. It''s a bit of a mouthful at the moment.

But it seems to me that statues are erected as exercises in nostalgia by clubs who''ve seen better days - Leeds and Ipswich spring to mind. Our best days are still to come!