Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The players of the play off losers

With Charlton losing tonight and two of  Millwall, Swindon and Huddersfield not joining us in the Championship, should we looking at some of the losers players?

With the economic situation the way it is it''s more than likely that the three losers will decimate their squads next season, so who would you like to see wearing our shirt next season?

All 4 of these clubs have players who could do a job for us, Nicky Bailey being the name on everyones lips right now, even though the berk missed his penalty tonight.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

With Charlton losing tonight and two of  Millwall, Swindon and Huddersfield not joining us in the Championship, should we looking at some of the losers players?

With the economic situation the way it is it''s more than likely that the three losers will decimate their squads next season, so who would you like to see wearing our shirt next season?

All 4 of these clubs have players who could do a job for us, Nicky Bailey being the name on everyones lips right now, even though the berk missed his penalty tonight.

[/quote]If Swindon lose their final, I''d like that little nippy bugger and wide man O''Brian in our side.

I''m surprised he hasn''t been mentioned so far, but if there is any chance of us getting Billy Paynter on a contract we must take it. Take advantage of the fact that we''d be paying no transfer fee, whilst we have opened space up in releasing big earners in Cureton and Doherty, and to a lesser extent McVeigh, to negotiate a very handsome contract with him. Not least a step up in football, the possibility of playing infront of a 25,000 capacity crowd every fortnight or so, and the offer of playing for last seasons League One Champions under the guidance of one of the most promising managers in English football, should see us presumably having a great degree of leverage in any discussions between us?Other than that, Nicky Bailey is the obvious other possibility of course (whilst he''d most probably be difficult to prise away from the grasp of Charlton, even in League One), and another one would of course be Jimmy Abdou. The prospect of having Abdou, Bailey, Russell, Gill, Smith and Hughes in our midfield for next season definitely leaves me somewhat hopeful of our own prospects (certainly crossing my fingers for a transfer window of such excitement over here).

Not so sure on Paynter, his performances in past seasons haven''t really impressed me, last season he only scored 11 goals... I''d prefer a striker like LeFondre who has a very goood scoring record with every season he''s played

Kyle Reid - Charlton. Although on loan from Sheff utd, may be looking for a move if not in the picture at Bramwall Lane. Looked a class winger every time i''ve seen him play, and he is still in his early 20''s.

[quote user="freddyf105"]Not so sure on Paynter, his performances in past seasons haven''t really impressed me, last season he only scored 11 goals... I''d prefer a striker like LeFondre who has a very goood scoring record with every season he''s played[/quote]He was playing a completely different role for Swindon last year, in a side that was hardly performing on the same kind of levels we''ve seen this year. Their entire team was focused around utilising Simon Cox for all he was worth (and to be fair Paynter did that very well). Paynter did well to get as many goals as he did under the circumstances to be frank.With players like Holt and Hoolahan, who posses genuine class when it comes to bringing other players into the game, around Paynter, i have no doubt he could step up a level and really flourish in the Championship next year.In my mind he has the potential within him to meet the same kind of levels of goalscoring form Cox enjoys at the best of times, whilst delivering a far more dynamic game on account of his attributes, class and work ethic as well.

But what about his history with teams like Hull, Southend and Port Vale? If their any thing to go by then this season was a rareity, and anyway according to most peoples logic he won''t be able to make the step up- at least that''s what others are saying about players like Crofts who have little/no championship experience

[quote user="freddyf105"]Not so sure on Paynter, his performances in past seasons haven''t really impressed me, last season he only scored 11 goals... I''d prefer a striker like LeFondre who has a very goood scoring record with every season he''s played[/quote]

I agree on Paynter but disagree on LeFondre.

Well I say that... both would probably be useful additions to the squad but I''m not convinced Paynter would have enough about him deliver above the lower leagues. And as for LeFondre, he''s a nice enough little player but might be a bit lightweight. And, as it stands, he''d have to jump up 2 divisions.

What about Charlie Austin from Swindon, he seems better than Paynter.

[quote user="Boyo"]What about Charlie Austin from Swindon, he seems better than Paynter.[/quote]

Yeah, he''s good. Very good.

Probably out of our budget but it would be nice if he wasn''t.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Boyo"]What about Charlie Austin from Swindon, he seems better than Paynter.[/quote]

Yeah, he''s good. Very good.

Probably out of our budget but it would be nice if he wasn''t.

[/quote]

Well they sold Cox for £1.5 million plus add ons and I think Cox is slighly younger..