Sign in to follow this  

This is a very petty subject, but as I was reflecting on the League 1 league table on the BBC website I noticed that Leeds were the only team to carry a ''rider'' in there name other than those with more distinct names

Bristol Rovers (as opposed to ''City'') is understandable

Leyton Orient - it''s a combined name

MK Dons - reflects their Wimbledon heritage

But why ''Leeds United''?

Norwich (City), Charlton (Athletic), Swindon (Town), Huddersfield (Town), Colchester (United) etc. - none of them have their full name.

Bit odd.....

Any thoughts?

The answer is that there was a club called Leeds City."Leeds United''s predecessor team Leeds City FC was formed in 1904, but was forcibly disbanded

by The Football League in 1919 in response to

allegations of illegal payments to players during the First World War. A new club, Leeds United,

was formed and the club received an invitation to enter the Midland League from the league

secretary, Mr. J Nicholson. Leeds United were voted into the Midland

League on 31 October 1919, taking the place vacated by Leeds City

Reserves."

Well spotted and good point. It''s actually quite annoying after noticing. Not even Brighton & Hove Albion have their full name.But there''s also and Norwich United?My guessing is that it is completely overlooked.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''m just grateful the BBC don''t refer to them as "The Mighty Leeds United, A Truly Big Club".[/quote]And sadly, they''re not allowed to put ''Leeds United, A Bunch of Annoying Northern C***s''..........[A]

[quote user="marrison89"]Well spotted and good point. It''s actually quite annoying after noticing. Not even Brighton & Hove Albion have their full name.

But there''s also and Norwich United?

My guessing is that it is completely overlooked.
[/quote]

Norwich United was born in the 1980''s.  Much like Wimbledon and MK Dons, Poringland Wanderers was taken over by a dubious local businessman and moved out of Poringland into Norwich.  The club was eventually forced to change its name and choose Norwich United - probably because the people concerned were absolute winkers.