Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Thick footballers

Was really impressed on how articulate  and intelligent Chris Martin sounded on the radio.There was one rumour which i can''t believe to be true however (I did read it in the Daily Mirror).When Everton were playing in Europe in Madrid in the 1980s a certain younger member of the playing staff came down to the hotel  reception with his towel drapped over his shoulders asking where the beach was.The player in question was said to be our own illustrious radio broadcaster a certain Mr N.Adams.Say it isn''t so Neil.Are there any other instances of footballers being thick?Who is the thickest footballer you know?

The best one I remember was about Jason McAteer when he was at Blackburn and went on a night out to an Italian with some of the other players. When asked if he wanted his pizza sliced into four or eight slices he apparently said " four please, I''m not hungry enough to eat eight !"

Not surprisingly, his nickname is Trigger!

An Ipswich player I was at school with told me that the manager (I think his name was Ferguson) had got sunburned on a pre season tour.  He asked the doctor for something to ease the discomfort and was given some lotion.  The next day at breakfast he complained that he had been up all night in the loo and thought the lotion had caused his stomach problem.  He had swallowed 3 spoonfulls.

But not all footballers are thick.  I read recently that Frank Lampard has an IQ of more than 150, which puts him in the top 0.1% of the population. 

I  was told that in 2002  Craig Bellamy paid 30 grand for a greyhound and all of his old Norwich team mates were ripping the piss behind  his back on a lads  night out in the city.Is paying that much for a greyhound  being thick?

Fatty Matty Patty.[:)]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-539308/Norwich-footballer-caught-drunk-wheel-underpants.html

Beckham has always come across as a bit thick, especially when the Stick Insect is by his side kicking him under the table for saying the wrong things. Give him his due though, made a shed load of cash outside his footballing wages so maybe there is a brain behind that retarded exterior.

Norwich players, I''d have to call David Strihavka as having limited IQ. Met him in Norwich airport not long after he had signed. OK his English wasn''t great, but he obviously hadn''t done a lot of research about English football or Norwich! I was a bit worried about him, as he was in the shop buying a shed load of chocolate.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

An Ipswich player I was at school with told me that the manager (I think his name was Ferguson) had got sunburned on a pre season tour.  He asked the doctor for something to ease the discomfort and was given some lotion.  The next day at breakfast he complained that he had been up all night in the loo and thought the lotion had caused his stomach problem.  He had swallowed 3 spoonfulls.

But not all footballers are thick.  I read recently that Frank Lampard has an IQ of more than 150, which puts him in the top 0.1% of the population. 

[/quote]

lampard went to a private school, as his dad could afford it!

But lampard has made his money now so doesn''t need to be that smart, although if it gets people like christine Blakely then maybe smart if good [;)]

Did we ever find out the origin of the nickname "Shoes" When Chris Goreham spoke to Ian Crook after the Carlisle Game He addressed Neil Adams "See ya Shoes", So he can''t really deny it now can he?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The best one I remember was about Jason McAteer when he was at Blackburn and went on a night out to an Italian with some of the other players. When asked if he wanted his pizza sliced into four or eight slices he apparently said " four please, I''m not hungry enough to eat eight !"

Not surprisingly, his nickname is Trigger!

[/quote]One about McAteer told by Neil Ruddock was once he was filling out a document for a mortgage, he was writing down all of his details. When he got to the employment position section he wrote ''right back''...

Kaka is an intelligent chap, when he was younger he qualified as a solictor in Brazil. he suffered a bad back injury in a swimming accident as a teenager meaning he risked never playing again. he worked hard to acheive the qualification incase he had to jack the game in.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Kaka is an intelligent chap, when he was younger he qualified as a solictor in Brazil. he suffered a bad back injury in a swimming accident as a teenager meaning he risked never playing again. he worked hard to acheive the qualification incase he had to jack the game in.

[/quote]

Socrates, the Brazilian captain in the 80s was as qualified doctor who negotiated a bonus for celebrating goals extravagantly as it involved overriding his normal professional calm. And, yes, that is true!

Also heard the when McAteer was asked to pass the tomato ketchup he replied "red or brown?"

Another one was that he saw Jimmy White in a pub and he wanted to say something to get his attention, so he shouted "180!".

I wonder why that dream team of Barnes/McAteer didn''t work out as well as the Physio taking over did?!

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

But lampard has made his money now so doesn''t need to be that smart, although if it gets people like christine Blakely then maybe smart if good [;)]

[/quote]

IQ is something you are born with.  It isn''t increased by going to a private school.

There was the famous occasion when West Brom toured China in 1978 and manager Ron Atkinson asked the players if they''d like to visit the Great Wall of China. Their midfield player John Trewick declined, saying "Once you''ve seen one wall you''ve seen them all".

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

IQ is something you are born with.  It isn''t increased by going to a private school.

[/quote]IQ is a self-fulfilling methodology. People who believe they are intelligent use it to "prove" they are.

A personal favourite of mine was when Chris Moyles was interviewing Steven Gerrard on his radio show.

Moyles - "So Steven, what''s your favourite type of cheese?"

Gerrard - "Errrrrrrmmmmmm. Melted?"

Neil Ruddock once got locked out of his car at Jason McAteers house. To pick the lock he sent McAteer inside to fetch a coathanger - he came back with a wooden one!

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

IQ is a self-fulfilling methodology. People who believe they are intelligent use it to "prove" they are.
[/quote]

Jealous?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

IQ is a self-fulfilling methodology. People who believe they are intelligent use it to "prove" they are.
[/quote]

Jealous?

OTBC

[/quote]

No, he''s just not stupid enough to fall for the ''I.Q. test as a definitive way of grading individual intelligence and aptitude'' bs.

Are you? [:)]