Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Look what I found my first NCFC game ticket :)

I was going through my garage and I found my ticket to

my first ever Norwich Game. Yes I was 9 at the time and would have gone

to more before that but my father was working in Saudi Arabia and

didn''t move home til than. But I thought it was pretty cool so I scanned

it at work today.... 2.50 and standing room section on the back of the

ticket...The Good days....I remember that game I think we went down 0-2

to Lineker and Gazza but Norwich tied it at 2 in the 2nd half.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Blurboy1980/Ticket_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Blurboy1980/Ticket_2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Blurboy1980"]I was going through my garage and I found my ticket to my first ever Norwich Game. Yes I was 9 at the time and would have gone to more before that but my father was working in Saudi Arabia and didn''t move home til than. But I thought it was pretty cool so I scanned it at work today.... 2.50 and standing room section on the back of the ticket...The Good days....I remember that game I think we went down 0-2 to Lineker and Gazza but Norwich tied it at 2 in the 2nd half.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Blurboy1980/Ticket_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Blurboy1980/Ticket_2.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

If I were you I would have it framed and hanging pride of place, I have a picture of the 64 squad framed and hangs above the TV, and I have every season ticket I have held hanging around the frame. 

Standing in a cage in the Barclay, with the away supporters in the next cage (normally with a vacant cage in between) was so much better atmosphere, that''s when the Barclay knew how to sing, had decent songs and loads of banter and hatred. Some of the songs were so funny and quite a lot I can''t repeat on here.I was even at the Norwich v Man Utd when trouble broke out, that was scary.I watch Justins(RIP) goal V Liverpool (Goal of the season)  what a beaut.Berni is our king.Blimey showing my age now.At least football now is a hell of a lot more for the family, I wouldn''t go back to the old days, but would just for the atmosphere

"It''s only my opinion"the away supporters stood in the barclay!? That must have been a good atmosphear!

It was certainly interesting at times especially when the middle pen was used by an away team with a large following. The coins, matchboxes (with a lit match inside), lighters and certain bodily fluids that used to go across the small divide.

Interesting that a couple of those stands were indicated as "Members only" leaving the Barclay as the only other standing option.

[quote user="Del boy"]Standing in a cage in the Barclay, with the away supporters in the next cage (normally with a vacant cage in between) was so much better atmosphere, that''s when the Barclay knew how to sing, had decent songs and loads of banter and hatred. Some of the songs were so funny and quite a lot I can''t repeat on here.I was even at the Norwich v Man Utd when trouble broke out, that was scary.I watch Justins(RIP) goal V Liverpool (Goal of the season)  what a beaut.Berni is our king.Blimey showing my age now.At least football now is a hell of a lot more for the family, I wouldn''t go back to the old days, but would just for the atmosphere

[/quote]Yes I well remember a game against Spurs at Carrow Rd in the 1970''s......In those days the Barclay was all terracing with numerous crush barriers along the whole terrace which was divided into three or four sections separated by open metal fencing. The away fans were usually given section nearest the old South Stand ( translated into today''s ground they had what are now Barclay Blocks D and E although the terrace went further back ). On this particular day Norwich had the other sections.Some bright spark managed to prise one of the metal tube crush barriers out of its concrete base which was then poked through the fence separating the two sets of supporters. For about ten minutes a swaying mass of fans grabbed '' their '' end of the 12 foot long pole and pushed and pulled as hard as they could, presumably with the intention of de-capitating one of the opposing fans. A kind of tug-of-war in reverse I suppose but as far as I know nobody lost their head.Well not literally anyway......

[quote user="yellow blood"]

"It''s only my opinion"the away supporters stood in the barclay!? That must have been a good atmosphear!

It was certainly interesting at times especially when the middle pen was used by an away team with a large following. The coins, matchboxes (with a lit match inside), lighters and certain bodily fluids that used to go across the small divide.

Interesting that a couple of those stands were indicated as "Members only" leaving the Barclay as the only other standing option.

[/quote]anyone  remember the  steps  going  up into the barclay at the  back of the stand I can remember the  man utd  fans  swarming up them to get into the back of the barclay breaking  the  stand apart,  I think there is even a  video somewhere online of them doing it

I remember legging it down them steps at half time to make sure I did have to queue to long for a beer.

I also remember (nowhere near as many years ago as that ticket) when we were lads and couldn''t afford a ticket, we''d walk down to the South Stand and watch the games from outside on the tvs that were in the old refreshment stands. Good times. Haha.

They didn''t have tickets when I went to my first game. You just paid your sixpence at the turnstyle and in you went.

What goes around comes around.

Turnstyles were correctly removed as dangerous once obese kids came on the scene.

[quote user="ricardo"]They didn''t have tickets when I went to my first game. You just paid your sixpence at the turnstyle and in you went.
[/quote]

Yep and I am sure the turnstile operators used to count in 20 then say to every 21st person turnstiles broke you''ll have to jump over the top and then pocket the money. That must have been the ultimate cash in hand job.

I used to have a paper round when I got to about 12 so I would have to be at the shop at Magdalen St for 4:30ish, so rather than pay to go in for 2 seasons I used to sit on the big green gate outside the riverend where I could see the Barclay end of the pitch only. Could not even afford a bike then, so at 4:15ish I used to jump of the gate and leg it down to Magdalen St, making it just in time ( sometimes ).

With the segregation my nephew used to make a fortune when we took him to games when I was older. He used to spend the whole game collecting the coins that had been thrown, before someone picked them up and threw them back.

Other big difference was how early people used to get into the ground. To get in the pen next to the away supporters in the Barclay you usually had to be in ground by 2ish. When it was full now I think back it was so dangerous. A sway used to start at the top and if you were in the middle you finished up squashed at the front. The facilities were so s**t quite often if people wanted a pee, you couldnt get out so the fans parted and it was done on the floor there. Dread to think how many people would have been killed if the Barclay had ever caught fire. I objected to seats in the Barclay but looking back now the facilities and the stand itself were dia.

[quote user="canarycol"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[/quote]anyone  remember the  steps  going  up into the barclay at the  back of the stand I can remember the  man utd  fans  swarming up them to get into the back of the barclay breaking  the  stand apart,  I think there is even a  video somewhere online of them doing it[/quote]Remember those steps ?..........indeed I do.When I first started going to Carrow Road in the 60''s there was a God-awful concrete toilet trough along the wall at the bottom of the steps partly covered. It was there for years and was shared half and half by both sets of supporters with a dividing wall in the middle.I remember one famous occasion when someone broke through the wall and a fight started  inside the bog.I was at the infamous Man Utd match in 1977 and it was pretty scary seeing the corrugated asbestos wall disintegrating before our eyes.Quite satisfying though to see the Man Utd fan fall through the roof only to receive even more damage from the female City fan who attacked him as he was being carried round the pitch on the stretcher.It seems unbelievable now but in 1967 if you bought a beer from the koisk nearby they merely took the top off and gave you the full glass bottle to take back on the terrace!!Bearing in mind hooliganism was on the rise at the time no one on here will be too surprised to learn that that little arrangement didn''t last long..........

I remember being so tightly packed at the Ipswich semi final 2nd leg at home..................i couldn''t lite a fag and went without for over the duration of the game.The one thing i always remember is being coined and some of the coins had been sharpend.,but the atmosphere was great,the songs were great.I didn''t go much on the violence,fought when i had too, but i wont ever forget those days.I remember the Barclay being asked by Arthur South not to use bad language in the songs...........so you can well imagine it didn''t happen...happy days!

Ah those were the days....Were me & my mates the only ones who used to hang back at the end of the games and sweep up the coins?  Still amazes me that in those days people were prepared to chuck 50p around...mind you, the local shops must have wondered why so many battered coins were passing through their tills during the week after a home game!  Easy pocket money for a 13yr old lad!Those toilets at the foot of the hill were awful...running in god knows what by half-time!   What was the name of the seriously big fella who used to start the singing towards the back in the eighties...he was a sound bloke - always looked after the younger kids in the Barclay, didn''t let anyone take the mick or barge them out of the way...Happy Days!

What part of the Barclay did u stand in plastic scouser? i was always middle next to the away pen form 82 onwards.The coins were a great addition to my pocket money.........even picked up the quid i paid to get in after the chelsea game of feb 82.I remember the fella ur on about.......his name escapes me tho............gave me half his beer one at half time away at Forest.........i was only 13 thought i was the bees knees after that..................and the toilets.............eeeeeeewwwwwww i hardly ever used em waited till i got to the station after the game.I remember the ritual burning of scarfs hung on the fence,the smell was horrid but the cheer was loud esp when it was a scum scarf.

Like you say happy days and you knew who your mates were too esp when the scum was in town.

[quote user="cosmos67"]

What part of the Barclay did u stand in plastic scouser? i was always middle next to the away pen form 82 onwards.The coins were a great addition to my pocket money.........even picked up the quid i paid to get in after the chelsea game of feb 82.I remember the fella ur on about.......his name escapes me tho............gave me half his beer one at half time away at Forest.........i was only 13 thought i was the bees knees after that..................and the toilets.............eeeeeeewwwwwww i hardly ever used em waited till i got to the station after the game.I remember the ritual burning of scarfs hung on the fence,the smell was horrid but the cheer was loud esp when it was a scum scarf.

Like you say happy days and you knew who your mates were too esp when the scum was in town.

[/quote]

Was it Eugene?

Yep 2-2, i remember Bowen scoring!

I was only 7 at the time but i remember meeting all of the Spurs squad in the Sports Village the night before. They signed things for me and my brother. Meeting Gazza, Lineker and Venebles will live with me forever.

I can still remember the conversations now!

away fans in the barclay!!!! lol!

my first game was december 1991 against the spammers in the rumbelows cup. Dad threw the ticket stump away.. wish he had kept it though!

i do still have the programme of it somewhere.

[quote user="cosmos67"]I remember being so tightly packed at the Ipswich semi final 2nd leg at home..................i couldn''t lite a fag and went without for over the duration of the game.The one thing i always remember is being coined and some of the coins had been sharpend.,but the atmosphere was great,the songs were great.I didn''t go much on the violence,fought when i had too, but i wont ever forget those days.I remember the Barclay being asked by Arthur South not to use bad language in the songs...........so you can well imagine it didn''t happen...happy days![/quote]

But at that game there seemed to be more `lads` in the river end as when we scored the 2nd,10 or so came on the pitch,and goaded ipswich,and at the end,thousands of lads piled on from the river end,with none from the barclay? ..Have recording from a sports night programme that dad recorded..

Trouble was eadien there was a fence to climb over and coppers with truncheons.........and the fact the scum were getting lots of abuse from us .......... and i didn''t care much for the pitch was havin way to much goading the scum fans.And it all kicked off walking back towards the station along lower clarence road.Oh truly was a happy night then.*S

It could have been yellow..............but its so long and my memory wont stretch to names altho faces i can do.But it was really top times in the old barclay

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="canarycol"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[/quote]

anyone  remember the  steps  going  up into the barclay at the  back of the stand I can remember the  man utd  fans  swarming up them to get into the back of the barclay breaking  the  stand apart,  I think there is even a  video somewhere online of them doing it
[/quote]

Remember those steps ?..........indeed I do.

When I first started going to Carrow Road in the 60''s there was a God-awful concrete toilet trough along the wall at the bottom of the steps partly covered. It was there for years and was shared half and half by both sets of supporters with a dividing wall in the middle.I remember one famous occasion when someone broke through the wall and a fight started  inside the bog.

I was at the infamous Man Utd match in 1977 and it was pretty scary seeing the corrugated asbestos wall disintegrating before our eyes.Quite satisfying though to see the Man Utd fan fall through the roof only to receive even more damage from the female City fan who attacked him as he was being carried round the pitch on the stretcher.

It seems unbelievable now but in 1967 if you bought a beer from the koisk nearby they merely took the top off and gave you the full glass bottle to take back on the terrace!!

Bearing in mind hooliganism was on the rise at the time no one on here will be too surprised to learn that that little arrangement didn''t last long..........
[/quote]

And those bloody toilets were drafty around the ankles too

[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/n587597090_1822967_419-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/0366NORWICHCITYb_19592168170_8143.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/carrow10.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/cr2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/cr-1.jpg[/IMG]

I remember being in the centre pen for that infamous game when the keeper (I think it was Jimmy Rimmer for Villa, although I could be wrong) got hit on the head by a lighter and a number of coins. The club was threatened with having the Barclay closed so put up a net to stop items being thrown on the pitch. Some still got though although I suppose the club was seen to be taking action

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Del boy"]Standing in a cage in the Barclay, with the away supporters in the next cage (normally with a vacant cage in between) was so much better atmosphere, that''s when the Barclay knew how to sing, had decent songs and loads of banter and hatred. Some of the songs were so funny and quite a lot I can''t repeat on here.I was even at the Norwich v Man Utd when trouble broke out, that was scary.I watch Justins(RIP) goal V Liverpool (Goal of the season)  what a beaut.Berni is our king.Blimey showing my age now.At least football now is a hell of a lot more for the family, I wouldn''t go back to the old days, but would just for the atmosphere

[/quote]Yes I well remember a game against Spurs at Carrow Rd in the 1970''s......In those days the Barclay was all terracing with numerous crush barriers along the whole terrace which was divided into three or four sections separated by open metal fencing. The away fans were usually given section nearest the old South Stand ( translated into today''s ground they had what are now Barclay Blocks D and E although the terrace went further back ). On this particular day Norwich had the other sections.Some bright spark managed to prise one of the metal tube crush barriers out of its concrete base which was then poked through the fence separating the two sets of supporters. For about ten minutes a swaying mass of fans grabbed '' their '' end of the 12 foot long pole and pushed and pulled as hard as they could, presumably with the intention of de-capitating one of the opposing fans. A kind of tug-of-war in reverse I suppose but as far as I know nobody lost their head.Well not literally anyway......

[/quote]I remember this - I stood in the River End at the time and couldn''t figure out at first what this pole type thing was.  I think at one point a Spurs fan went right up in the air.  Then it all went off as the barrier was swung ever more violently. 

If the old half time scores board ever turns up for sale in an auction, my bid will be straight in there. It was only a blackboard with the alphabet and a load of hooks to hang numbers on, but the fun of peering in the programme and trying to see which games corresponded with which letters and then watching the numbers going up one by one was almost as tummy ticklingly excting as watching the teleprinter typing N o r w i c h