Sign in to follow this  
freddyf105

Matt Taylor the Doc's replacement?

Well not really his replacement as I''m sure that if we did sign him he wouldn''t be starting over the other choices, however like it or not he''d fill that extra CB spot we need in the squad, with him probably taking away the possibility of anyone else signing. So what does everyone think? Would you have prefered somone else to come in and take up that role or is Taylor any good? (Got to admit I don''t really know that much about him!)

I think there is a whole lot of extra risk associated with signing a defender from a lower league to player in a higher league. Over say a striker. A striker can make mistakes i.e. miss shots, get shots saved, get tackled at a lower risk than if a defender makes a mistake.I hope we''re not seeking to create a team of League 1 best players as it''ll be a hard dose of reality next season.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think there is a whole lot of extra risk associated with signing a defender from a lower league to player in a higher league. Over say a striker. A striker can make mistakes i.e. miss shots, get shots saved, get tackled at a lower risk than if a defender makes a mistake.

I hope we''re not seeking to create a team of League 1 best players as it''ll be a hard dose of reality next season.
[/quote]Give me someone who''s hungry for success everytime, rather than a badge kissing, done it all before and conceited expensive hasbeen on a last payday.

Its still only a rumour in anycase.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think there is a whole lot of extra risk associated with signing a defender from a lower league to player in a higher league. Over say a striker. A striker can make mistakes i.e. miss shots, get shots saved, get tackled at a lower risk than if a defender makes a mistake.I hope we''re not seeking to create a team of League 1 best players as it''ll be a hard dose of reality next season.[/quote]Give me someone who''s hungry for success everytime, rather than a badge kissing, done it all before and conceited expensive hasbeen on a last payday.

Its still only a rumour in anycase.

[/quote]I agree, you surely must see my point also?Not every championship player is going to be a journey man. Plus the newspaper report on this guy is hardly making him out to be really passionate to play for us...

To be fair Andy if its just speculation you are not just going to say. ''Norwich come and get me I want out.'' If you do that you are completely burning your bridges with your current employer.

We wrote off the Admiral from reports and from a poor performance in the opening game, but he emerged very strongly later in the season, sc oring important goals and making blocks and tackles.

He is an old fasjioned stopper, perhaps without much finesse, and a little slow, but then Malky was of this ilk.

We have to get used to the fact that we cannot afford to buy an established player off the peg, so it''s Bosmans or nothings at CB, or else the injury prone.

I have no idea how good Taylor is, or might become, or how well he might cope with championship strikers, but we must surely leave the decision to the management team.

It should be said that Taylor himself is unaware of any interest, and it may be that PL and Co have done nothing more than to enquire whether he is available. Norwich managers in the past have seemingly done this about many players, and never followed up.

Seems to be rated extremely highly on there. Although I think they are being very optimistic if they think they can get £1 million for a league 1 player in the final year of his contract! I honestly have no issues with us signing the outstanding performers in league 1. Obviously it specualtion but its nice to see us getting business done early. Lambert clearly wants them in for that pre season fitness progam. Which sounds like it will be extremely hard work.

nice to see Nelson get some praise from other clubs for the season hes had.Be interesting if a swap could be part of the move, and what people would think of it? Dont know too much about Taylor but would expect a CB to come in to replace Nelson or for Nelson to just be backup to the first team next season.Im really torn about Nelson, had a great second half of the season and maybe deserves a go at the championship. But everything about the way he plays says League 1-basic tackle and hoof!

Quite incredible storyreally, from a kid he played in goal and was on the books at Everton but drifted down the football pyramid, although he did win the FA Trophy. It wasn''t until University where he played a few games at centre back that he really started to make a name for himself, he was picked up by Team Bath (A uni team playing in the Conference South) and then signed up by Exeter where he climbed the leagues and won 2 player of the season awards.

I thought Nelson was clearly our best centre half  for the last third of the season. He''s brave, positionally far better than DOC was and I thought his passing got better. With a quick & cultured CB he''d be fine in the Championship.

Plus he''s started scoring important goals....

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]To be fair Andy if its just speculation you are not just going to say. ''Norwich come and get me I want out.'' If you do that you are completely burning your bridges with your current employer.[/quote]You''re right. Just as you would be unlikely to say anything in the matter let alone poo poo the team that you''ve been linked to.

LOL!! How funny!Does this mean we can field an extra outfield player on our subs bench as if our keeper gets injured or sent off we can just whack Matty in goal?

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think there is a whole lot of extra risk associated with signing a defender from a lower league to player in a higher league. Over say a striker. A striker can make mistakes i.e. miss shots, get shots saved, get tackled at a lower risk than if a defender makes a mistake.I hope we''re not seeking to create a team of League 1 best players as it''ll be a hard dose of reality next season.[/quote]

i''m not with you there Andy...if he''s good enough, he''s good enough (plus we wouldnt need a reso keeper on the bench) ;0)

steve bruce - gills to ncfc to man u & alan Hansen - thisle to liverpool...are two examples i can think of.

[quote user="Mike Grant"]Ian Wright - Sunday league (at 22), Palarse & then Arsenal.[/quote]I was think centre backs - but yep - Wrighty player for Greenwich Borough FC just up the road from me.

It''s alright havig lots of unproven talent and that in the squad, however if we did sign Taylor we''d have no centre backs with true championship experience, that for me woul be worrying...

[quote user="spencer 1970"][quote user="AndyCanary"]I think there is a whole lot of extra risk associated with signing a defender from a lower league to player in a higher league. Over say a striker. A striker can make mistakes i.e. miss shots, get shots saved, get tackled at a lower risk than if a defender makes a mistake.

I hope we''re not seeking to create a team of League 1 best players as it''ll be a hard dose of reality next season.
[/quote] i''m not with you there Andy...if he''s good enough, he''s good enough (plus we wouldnt need a reso keeper on the bench) ;0) steve bruce - gills to ncfc to man u & alan Hansen - thisle to liverpool...are two examples i can think of.[/quote]

I agree with you that if he''s good enough, he''s good enough, and Hansen and Bruce are good examples of players stepping up well, but they did it aged c. 22/23, whereas Taylor is 28. I''m not saying that this means he wouldn''t be a good player, I''d far rather we signed people who have an obvious reason to be hungry to do well, but I''m not sure Hansen and Bruce are an ideal comparator. Maybe Roger Johnson is a better example? Although I think he was only about 23 when he joined Cardiff.

Certainly there are good players out there in the lower leagues, his age makes me a little more nervous than say, Dan Seaborne, but equally a bit of experience is important with Doc gone. Ultimately, if Lambo says we should sign him that''s more than good enough for me.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]LOL!! How funny!

Does this mean we can field an extra outfield player on our subs bench as if our keeper gets injured or sent off we can just whack Matty in goal?
[/quote]

Its definitely an option. Although now you can have 7 substitutes I don''t think there is any excuse not to have a full time keeper on the bench.

[quote user="freddyf105"]Well not really his replacement as I''m sure that if we did sign him he wouldn''t be starting over the other choices, however like it or not he''d fill that extra CB spot we need in the squad, with him probably taking away the possibility of anyone else signing. So what does everyone think? Would you have prefered somone else to come in and take up that role or is Taylor any good? (Got to admit I don''t really know that much about him!)[/quote]

Well the Exeter fans rate him very highly and some have said they would be gutted if he moved on.

If we do sign him, that will be another former captain added to our group of leaders.