Sign in to follow this  
morty

Stability

Quote from Pinkun story :-Paul Lambert will buck a national trend if he joins the increasingly elite Carrow Road club of managers who complete a full season in charge.Only one man - Nigel Worthington - has started and finished the same season in the last decade.City''s decline down the football ladder has coincided with a flurry of changes in the hot seat, with 10 managers - seven permanent, three on a caretaker basis - since the millennium.Thats quite staggering when you actually consider it!! Especially the fact about Worthy!

It is suprising and one that went under my rader! ...Just hope what lambert says about our club is heart felt and at last we may get stability.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

It is suprising and one that went under my rader! ...Just hope what lambert says about our club is heart felt and at last we may get stability.

[/quote]Maybe we have all been in denial and just didn''t want to look back at how awful this decade has been for us, apart from most of the Worthington reign (though some people won''t want to admit that!)

That''s extraordinary Morty. Says it all that by recent standards we''re now defining ''stability'' as one whole season - woo hoo!!

And that we''re looking back on Worthy''s time as ''the good old days''! Worthy''s time was unquestionably the most successful overall in the last decade. It''s all relative to where we were at the time and believing we had a divine right to go straight back to the premiership!

Another aspect to stability that is over looked is the stability from (when you do need to change manager) being able to appoint a credible replacement from within the club. That was an approach that worked with Ken Brown, Stringer, etc. The more phased transition and the lack of a need to start from scratch must help the players.

Before anyone says Gunn was from within, that was why I used the word credible in the first sentence!

[quote user="morty"]Quote from Pinkun story :-

Paul Lambert will buck a national trend if he joins the increasingly elite Carrow Road club of managers who complete a full season in charge.

Only one man - Nigel Worthington - has started and finished the same season in the last decade.

City''s decline down the football ladder has coincided with a flurry of changes in the hot seat, with 10 managers - seven permanent, three on a caretaker basis - since the millennium.

Thats quite staggering when you actually consider it!! Especially the fact about Worthy!

[/quote]

I hope this doesn''t sound like a Delia bashing post because I am full of admiration for the way the club is being turned around. However this instability is simply down to a terrible selection process by the board. Hamilton was completely unsuitable for the post. Worthy was a super manager but the main reason he was chosen was because he was in the right place at the right time by being caretaker (thank goodness he was). Since then Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder and Bryan Gunn has been appalling choices. Grant was new to management so nobody knew what expect but the other 2 failures were horribly predictable.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Quote from Pinkun story :-Paul Lambert will buck a national trend if he joins the increasingly elite Carrow Road club of managers who complete a full season in charge.Only one man - Nigel Worthington - has started and finished the same season in the last decade.City''s decline down the football ladder has coincided with a flurry of changes in the hot seat, with 10 managers - seven permanent, three on a caretaker basis - since the millennium.Thats quite staggering when you actually consider it!! Especially the fact about Worthy![/quote]

I hope this doesn''t sound like a Delia bashing post because I am full of admiration for the way the club is being turned around. However this instability is simply down to a terrible selection process by the board. Hamilton was completely unsuitable for the post. Worthy was a super manager but the main reason he was chosen was because he was in the right place at the right time by being caretaker (thank goodness he was). Since then Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder and Bryan Gunn has been appalling choices. Grant was new to management so nobody knew what expect but the other 2 failures were horribly predictable.

[/quote]The board as a whole made the appointments, not just Delia, people looking for their scapegoat seem to conveniently ignore this fact (though N/A in your case)Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and any of those managers could have theoretically worked out (apart from Gunn and Hamilton in my opinion)Once a club finds itself on a downward turn then you significantly lower your expectations, I would suspect that at least a few of those appointments were intended to "steady the ship" and just buy us time to get on an even keel, regroup and then look to the future.

I think with unproven managers it is difficult to ascertain whether they would have worked out better at another club for their first appointment.Some people take to management more readily than others. There are many varying skills needed to manage a football team. Dynamics and personality are also key.Look at Malky - first time appointment with Watford as an unproven manager and was successful. Would that be so at another club, or the same club with a different unproven manager? There are many other examples where unproven managers have had success and where proven managers have been downright awful at some clubs yet successful at others.