Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

Wide Players, that's what we need!

But not in the Jan Molby mold.

Anyone agree we need a little width with pace on the flanks?

We''ve always had good wingers but seem to lack any real quality in that area at the moment.

Matt Phillips (Wycombe) & Danny Green (Dagenham & Redbridge) would do very nicely, as I think we ideally need two wingers to come in.

Allegedly a deal for Green will be completed after D&R''s play-off final, but we shall see...

Agree we need pace on both the left and right side.

Have to confess that I don''t know a lot about the two lads you mention but this is the area I feel PL needs to strengthen next.

Lappin obviously gives you a delivery on the left but I think we may need another option in the Championship.

Jury is still out on Mcnamee for me. I notice he didn''t make Capello''s 30!

I don''t usually listen to much of what Claridge has to say but he seemed to be impressed with Matt Phillips last year

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/mar/10/wycombe-leaguetwofootball

Sounds like he has potential.

Playing 2 wide players is generally a no go nowadays, the midfield area is where games are won & lost, using 2 wide players in a 4-4-2 often leaves a midfield pair overrun by the opposition. It was clear at times last season when McNamee started as well as Hoolahan, Martin & Holt that we had too many players ahead of the ball and the midfield was lost, ball retention became much harder and then when we didn''t have the ball it was very difficult to win back.I don''t have a problem with a 4-4-2 with wide players but they can''t be passengers when we don''t have the ball.

I agree totally CotT but think we have failed in this area previously because we have played all out attacking players in these positions.

Huckerby for example, he''d obviously be the first in that position for us all but he wasn''t defensive minded at all. Likewise Hoolahan.

I do believe there is a balance to be had though where a team can have two pacey wingers with the ability to do both their attacking and defending duties.

Totally agree, what was very evident towards the end of last season is how much pace we lack, and as a team are generally slow. 1 wide man on each flank, a RB, striker and goalie please!