Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahan? Youlahan!

Simon Francis on his way?

Heard from a mate who has a source which as usual he ''can''t say'', that it is none other than Southend right back and player of the season Simon Francis signing at 1:30.

Russell Martin on his way then?

This is on Southends Official site.

BLUES ACCEPT OFFER FOR FRANCIS

Posted on: Mon 24 May 2010

Southend United can confirm that it has accepted an offer for defender Simon Francis from a League One club.

The Club has now given Simon permission to speak to that team to discuss personal terms.

We will update supporters further as the situation develops.

Looks like this could be for real then. Does this mean Spillane will move inside and effectively be Doc''s replacement as the 4th centre half? Or could it be that Russell Martin or even Spillane himself is on the move.

Manager Steve Tilson remains hopeful Simon Francis will stay at Southend despite accepting a £150,000 bid for the full-back from Brentford.

The 25-year-old, who has made over 150 appearances for the Blues, rejected a move to Peterborough in January and Tilson believes he could again choose to stay on at Roots Hall.

"Franno turned down a move to Peterborough in January because he felt it was a sideways switch and he may feel the same with Brentford," Tilson told the Echo.

"I''m not sure because only he can really answer that question and he''s away in Cyprus at the moment, so we will just have to wait and see what happens when he returns."

Think first Jedi is right.

We''re still officially a League One club until the end of June I think.

[quote user="pbtc"]We''re still officially a League One club until the end of June I think.
[/quote]

Thats what was confusing me. I wasn''t sure when our official championship status kicks in. Were still league one according to the bbc

I''m not going to make any sweeping statements (unlike most peeps on here!) on the player as I''ve only seen him once at Sothendend away, but he didn''t stand out in that game for me.

...plus, i''ve heard it was Brentford or Brighton...who happen to be league one clubs. (unlike us).

All I''d say is Russell Martin was one of Lambert''s- if not first- buys, I reckon Lambert will hang on to him If I was a manager I wouldn''t drop my right back so quickly after bringing him in and then buy another right back, and bear in mind Lambert''s Scottish so I ''spose he''s pretty stubborn!

[quote user="Hoolahan? Youlahan!"]Heard from a mate who has a source which as usual he ''can''t say'', that it is none other than Southend right back and player of the season Simon Francis signing at 1:3

Your mate was wrong then!!

Why do we need another rightback when we''ve got Martin, Spillane, Francomb and even Korey Smith can cover?

Other areas need improving not rightback!

Yes Russell Martins no superstar but he was mostly solid last season, all this critiscism is a little over the top!

On the subject of b ulls hit, those who think that Spillanes a decent centreback - Spillane will never make a 1st choice centreback because he isn''t strong enough in the air end of!

I hope this is true, it would only bolster my opinion of Lamberts judgement. Francis was a great young footballer at Bradford a few years back, and I think he''s playing under his level at League 1.

Don''t you just love these "I have a source" threads.

The source wasn''t a friend of the tealady''s mother''s cousin was it ?

By definition and connection, you do have a source - your mate. I would suggest you treat him with a little more caution in the future. Has it occurred to you that he may just be winding you up?