Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Your Centre Back pairing?

Whitbread, Askou, Nelson, Ward, Spillane or Stephens.

For me it has to be Whitbread and Ward. I think potentially, it could be a cracking pairing! This club has been built on defensive partnerships and maybe this one could grow to be one of the best.

Agree with those two. Are Askou and Nelson good enough cover for the championship? Both are tremendously slow, and have very poor distribution, however are good in the air.

Whitbread and Ward if fit would be great.  Both have history of injuries though, Wards'' wiki mentions hamstring problems, he played an average of 36 league games per season from 2006-09 for Cov - profile here.  I get the feeling that Nelson will be called upon regularly next season.

[quote user="Big Slob"]Agree with those two. Are Askou and Nelson good enough cover for the championship? Both are tremendously slow, and have very poor distribution, however are good in the air.
[/quote]

Askou distribution is far from poor, Nelsons isnt great agreed. IMO Askou is still our best cb. People seem to forget how well he was playing before his injury, i certainly feel he is better then championship back up.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Big Slob"]Agree with those two. Are Askou and Nelson good enough cover for the championship? Both are tremendously slow, and have very poor distribution, however are good in the air.[/quote]

Askou distribution is far from poor, Nelsons isnt great agreed. IMO Askou is still our best cb. People seem to forget how well he was playing before his injury, i certainly feel he is better then championship back up.

[/quote]Nope disagree with the distribution, 50 pence head, and most of the time hoofs it aimlesslyYou obviously didn''t go to the Carlisle game, Their strikers constantly got the better of him, and made him look very poor, however i would have him above Nelson in the pecking order.

I think lambert is earmarking Whitbread and Ward but much will depend upon Whitbread''s pre-season. I''ve been a bit disappointed with Whitbread so far but it looked like he was lacking a bit of match fitness and particularly a bit of upper body strength. If we''ve got him on a decent fitness programme this summer than i have high hopes that may be rectified.

If not then maybe if Ward is a passer he has been brought in to counterbalance Nelson''s hoofing and they may be a pairing lambert is considering.

I like Askou and he''s great in the air but positionally I do have some doubts about him.

Think it will be Ward and Whitbread, which has the potential to be fantastic. Both ball playing centre backs and could built a really strong base for us to play an attractive passing style next season. As much as I loved the Doc/Nelson partnership, next season being able to retain the ball could be absolute key to success -- despite what Jose says.

I think Ward is a great signing - I''d say that Nelson, Askou and Whitbread are all about the same and good enough to partner him. Personally, I''d go for Askou.

Askou will be held in the same regard as Malky and Flem in a few years, I think he is brillo pads.

Askou and Ward for me

Ward and Whitbread are potentially EXACTLY what any team would want as their centre half pairing.  They need games together in pre-season now ASAP!  Good on you Mr Lambert! You knew that Askou and Nelson aren''t good enough for the Championship and will use them as cover only.  It''s like having a fan in charge!

I think it is a bit too early to predict the CBs for next season but I think Whitbread and Ward, Whitbread and Askou or Ward and Askou. I think that Askou was a good CB before he got injured, Whitbread has lots of potential and so does Ward. It is looking really good for next season, I was slightly worried when the Doc went but feeling better now we have a new CB in Ward!

Any two of the four would be fine by me but my choice at the moment would be Askou and Ward as i haven''t seen enough of Whitbread yet but he is a top player and needs to get fit! Ward is a Very good signing and gives us a huge boost,build from the back they say and if we can getin Forster then things would be looking rosy.

[quote user="Trent Uni Canary"]askou has to be given a chance after how well he played before he got injured, and lets face it we''ll be much better without doherty[/quote]Although he was our best centre half on the books before his release?

he was never the best maybe 4th behind askou nelson and spillane, no matter where the ball was on the pitch he had his arms round someone, the amount of challenges he just lunged into when there was no need, not to mention awful distribution.

I expect Lambert will start the season with Nelson due to his end-of-season form but in the long run I would be delighted to see Whitbread & Ward starting together.

I can''t believe we got Ward. That''s two quality signings now Lambert keep it up. [Y]

[quote user="Trent Uni Canary"]he was never the best maybe 4th behind askou nelson and spillane, no matter where the ball was on the pitch he had his arms round someone, the amount of challenges he just lunged into when there was no need, not to mention awful distribution.[/quote] and yet he was in the team of the season voted for by opposition strikers and players...

[quote user="Trent Uni Canary"]he was never the best maybe 4th behind askou nelson and spillane, no matter where the ball was on the pitch he had his arms round someone, the amount of challenges he just lunged into when there was no need, not to mention awful distribution.[/quote]Not sure which games you saw, didn''t look rash in the games I saw and his distribution was certainly a lot better than that of Nelson or Askou.It''s irrelevant now anyway, he''s gone and we''ve brought in a younger, capable replacement in Ward but the Doc bashing is absolutely ridiculous.

Wow, think I need to change my username, this could get confusing.We have heard lots about Whitbread, with little to show for it. But for me its Ward & Whitbread, until one gets injured, in which case Askou steps in.

[quote user="Trent Uni Canary"]probably because he spent so much time touching them... but anyway you either loved him or hated him and i hated him[/quote]

Are you suggesting that all the opposition payers who played against him enjoyed being touched!?!!