Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Really Crap Signings of Yester year

Quote - Trevor Hockey, lots of hair, nothing else. - WHAT?? I only saw Hockey play a few times, and to this day I still talk fondly of the indelibly stamped memories, a genuine one off, and still a hero for me. He died young, playing in a five a side, doing what he loved!

I''m stunned nobody''s mentioned Andy Hughes yet. He''s probably the crappest canary midfielder we''ve ever had in my lifetime

I am very suprised to see someone has added Trevor Hocky to this list. He always gave 100% and the team was better for having him in it.

His effort helped Norwich manage to avoid relegation the season he was with us.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]Can''t believe anyone hasn''t raised one of the greatest...Drazen Muzinic...Yugoslavian (it still existed in those days) international, signed by John Bond from Hadjuk Split and a club record signing if memory serves me right.  Utterly useless, failed to adapt to English football.  Bond apparently said that he''d never actually seen him play and signed him on reputation!!!
[/quote]

Oi!

[/quote]

"I don''t think we got Muzinic, I reckon they sent his milkman." Justin Fashanu on John Bond''s £300,000 acquisition.

would it be completely un-PC of me to suggest John Hartson? Yes yes I know... he wasn''t well... blar blar blar... but he was still on high wages as a footballer with us.

For me its Jamie Cureton, coming in to fill the Ashton/Earnshaw position. Spent a lot of money on him, gave him great wages and he gave precious little in return. Crap the first time he was here and then crap slow and old the second. Thank you so much Peter Grant!

[quote user="jed exodous"]Jonson took a long while to adapt. He was a poor signing but i do remember that game with head bandage. Thought he was like a rabbitt in headlights for first 3 quarters of the season but done ok last couple of months, even voted player of the month i think, Other poor signings or disapointing signings, in no particular order, Victor Segura, Jean yves de blassis, Raymond de waard, steve walsh, tony cottee, mike Sheron, Graham Stuart, Zema Abbey, Neil Emblem, cedric anselin, troy archibald henville, trevor benjamin, Julien Brellier (wonder where the flag is), carl cort, patrick boyle, owain tudor jones, jason jarrett, ian murray, des hamilton come on down Ulf ottoson, louis-jean, peschisolido, peter thorn So many crap players and these are from the last 10-15 years, must be loads more from before my time, (i''m late 20''s)[/quote]

Most of them were cheapy p iss poor signings and tellingly a lot of them were players Rioch wouldn''t have but his sucessor the boards puppet on a string Bryan Hamilton signed!

As the great Roedernowhere said theirs no exact science in football management and signings don''t always work out, even semmingly good buys. Emblem would have probably done well but for injuries and Thorne up until Norwich had been a good striker at all his clubs!

The beginning of the end for Worthy came when he dismantled some of  the side that won the 1st Division in 2004 and replaced them with the half hearted Bentley, over the hill just picking up his money Graham Stuart, the past it Simon Charlton and the not good enough Scandavian pairing of Helveg and Jonnson!

Take note Paul Lambert! (not that he goes on this forum anyway!)

lets turn this around and be postive, lets pick the best team (including those who have gone on to have top careers) we can from all players who have played for us and are still of a playing age (allowing injured players to be names)

Formation :4 - 3 -1 -2

Rob Green

Danny Mills      Callum Davenport   Martin Taylor      Adam Drury

David Bentley            Scott Parker               Darren Huckerbey

Craig Bellamy

Peter Crouch             Dean  Ashton

Subs: Fraser Forster, Leroy Lita,Wes Hoolahan, Youseff Safri, Kieran Gibbs,Ryan Betrand, Dickson Etuhu

Manager: Martin O`neill

Got to be worth a top 6 place in the Premiership?

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]

Giallanza

Cottee

Keith Scott

Carl Bradshaw

[/quote]I seem to remember rating Giallanza at the time, but for the life of me can''t now think why.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong. Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories[/quote]

i know you wont see it this way...but emblem was bloody good midfielder for us, and would been for you bar injuries

for my two penth worth

Dave Striker - you lot were basically getting an erection telling me how great he was pre season and how he scored x amount in the himalayian premier league or some crap league

[quote user="Champions"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong. Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories[/quote]

i know you wont see it this way...but emblem was bloody good midfielder for us, and would been for you bar injuries

for my two penth worth

Dave Striker - you lot were basically getting an erection telling me how great he was pre season and how he scored x amount in the himalayian premier league or some crap league

[/quote]

Get yourself to school fatty!

[quote user="Champions"]

for my two penth worth

[/quote]

That''s the point though Emblem was a crock when we bought him so he was a bad signing, had he not had injuries we probably would not have had the chance to sign him.

As for Dave Striker he is still playing at a decent standard and scored against Spurs in a game in Europe after he left us.

Strihavka wasn''t terrible.. he just needed a season to settle into the English game.. we made a mistake letting him go, he plays in the top flight and Europe regularly now back in the Czech rep.whilst not the most high profile league, the fact he scores against better European opposition suggests he might have been able to do a job.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

As the great Roedernowhere said theirs no exact science in football management and signings don''t always work out, even semmingly good buys. Emblem would have probably done well but for injuries and Thorne up until Norwich had been a good striker at all his clubs!

The beginning of the end for Worthy came when he dismantled some of  the side that won the 1st Division in 2004 and replaced them with the half hearted Bentley, over the hill just picking up his money Graham Stuart, the past it Simon Charlton and the not good enough Scandavian pairing of Helveg and Jonnson!

Take note Paul Lambert! (not that he goes on this forum anyway!)

[/quote]

"half hearted Bentley,"

WHAT????!!!

Bentley getting crooked at west ham (i still hate noble for that) was huge factor in us losing our shape/going down. Do you not remember how he crafted so much before that!?

i think you''ve been reading too many red tops and believing them fella.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]

Giallanza

Cottee

Keith Scott

Carl Bradshaw

[/quote]

I seem to remember rating Giallanza at the time, but for the life of me can''t now think why.
[/quote]

Would it be that serious injury he had only after a handful of games for us?

As for people slating Emblen - he wasn''t injured when we signed him. He got injured in pre-season and never quite recovered. We had a string of signings at that time that went the same way: Abbey, Notman. Shame really becuase they all had potential.

[quote user="Champions"]i know you wont see it this way...but emblem was bloody good midfielder for us......

for my two penth worth

Dave Striker - you lot were basically getting an erection telling me how great he was[/quote]You are we8wba and I claim my £5.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Champions"]i know you wont see it this way...but emblem was bloody good midfielder for us......

for my two penth worth

Dave Striker - you lot were basically getting an erection telling me how great he was[/quote]You are we8wba and I claim my £5.

[/quote]

who bet you £5?

[quote user="Champions"][quote user="lappinitup"]

for my two penth worth

[/quote]

who bet you £5?

[/quote]

Well, that proves it - hahah [:)] Only we8allthepies is this dense. Now run along to school fatty [:D] 

Didnt Cottee sign for us then piss off for a managers job after about a month ??I dont think Dave Striker was given a fair run.Although we have had a stint of failed forign strikers who either didnt have a good run or got shipped off pronto for whatever reason :Viva Mark LibraThe Danish guy who left cos his wife?!?!? got a better job ( WTF dude ?!?! )Dave StikerGoran Gunnsigning (forgot his name already )