Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Really Crap Signings of Yester year

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong. Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories[/quote]

Only one of those I would try to defend is Neil Emblen. He was a good signing at the time. Had played well for Wolves and was versatile being equally comfortable at centre back or centre mid. He just got a bad injury at Millwall when in pre season and on the day he appeared to be one of our stand out performers (admitted we did get pasted at Millwall). He just never recovered from that.

The others really speak for themselves. Beckford was hopeless however I will remember him fondly for that brilliant hat trick he got against Everton which kept us up that season. Helveg and Jonson looked lost in the time they played for us. It was hard to believe that between them they had in excess of 100 caps between them.

I thought that Jonsson would be a great signing when he arrived, he was playing the best football in his career and had just performed great in the euro champs....Something happend to him when he came here.... Since he left, his career has gone downhill, never looked the same player, and since then nowhere near the national team....

Few harsh ones in here...Clint Easton? I know he was not great but he did play a fairly key role in the play off season and was a fine crsser of the ball, just not too much else.I always felt a bit sorry for Jonnson too mainly because he seemed to be a striker shoved out wide as Worthington seemed to like doing. Brellier is my worst simply because I cant understand how someone so crap came with such a good reputation.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]im suprised that a mr jo''h''n otsemobor hasn''t come up. I liked him of a player but some people seem to just hate him.[/quote]

Probably because we have had far worse right full backs at the club.

[quote user="chicken"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]im suprised that a mr jo''h''n otsemobor hasn''t come up. I liked him of a player but some people seem to just hate him.[/quote]

[/quote]

it wsas just because so many people liked to moan about him.

[quote user="chicken"]

[/quote]Have we?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Have we?
[/quote]

Ok, like him or hate him at least Semi offered something!

In my opinion and through no fault of their own in some cases, he has been better than Jurgan Colin and Keith Briggs and thats not going back very far.

So yes we have had much worse players in that position.

As a City fan for 25 years all i can say is that i have always been desperate for a hero..Thats why whenever we sign somebody we are desperate for him 2 be the one!!More often than not he isn''t!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong. Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories[/quote]

Arsene Wenger once famously said that he would never buy players out of summer tournament football. Matias Jonson was a classic example of why not to when Worthington signed him off the back of Euro ''04. at 30 years of age for a Swede to have never played outside of Scandinavia should have raised suspicisions as anyone who''s any good from that part of the world would have long since moved, at 1.5 mil must ate as pound for pound our worst ever signing?

He managed to go through a whole premiership season without scoring or perhaps more tellingly for a winger creating any assists. A truely dreadful signing.

[/quote]Poor old Mattias Jonson, with more than 50 caps and nine goals for Sweden, lumped in with the likes of Dean Coney and Jason Jarrett! Actually the fee was around £850,000 rather than nearly double that. But the real problem was that Worthington played him out of position, as a workhorse right-winger. If he WAS a winger at all he was better on the left, but that slot was taken by Huckerby, so he was bodged in on the right.However his best position was either as a striker alongside a target man, or as a third striker. Unfortunately for his reputation among Canary fans, he didn''t get to play there.

Can''t believe anyone hasn''t raised one of the greatest...Drazen Muzinic...Yugoslavian (it still existed in those days) international, signed by John Bond from Hadjuk Split and a club record signing if memory serves me right.  Utterly useless, failed to adapt to English football.  Bond apparently said that he''d never actually seen him play and signed him on reputation!!!

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Trevor Hockey, lots of hair, nothing else.[/quote]

Helped keep us up though.

How about Steve Walsh, or to save time anyone signed by Brian Hamilton!

Henrik Mortenson  in the early 90s was one player who was a huge disappointment.Don''t know what happened to him, i believe we paid a small fortune .Same kind of build as Flecky  but without the talent or goals.

David Marshal, Kevin Scott, Keith Scott, Mike Sheron, Ulf ottosson, Zema Abbey, Mark Libbra, to name a few.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Trevor Hockey, lots of hair, nothing else.[/quote]

trevor hockey was brilliant, only played 13 times, but helped keep us up, many players fade into the dim and distant past but i''ll never forget him, RIP trevor hockey

Pretty much what everyone else has said and Matthew Rush aswell injured when we got him and then stayed injured.

Dont think anyones mentioned him but how about the great Goran Maric...!! How bad was he....?? Has to be one of the worst ever.

''trevor hockey was brilliant, only played 13 times, but helped keep us up, many players fade into the dim and distant past but i''ll never forget him, RIP trevor hockey''

I totally agree, brilliant signing, RIP Trevor Hockey

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

David Marshal, Kevin Scott, Keith Scott, Mike Sheron, Ulf ottosson, Zema Abbey, Mark Libbra, to name a few.

[/quote]

That''s really harsh on David Marshall. Keith Scott did alright as well if memory serves me correct, scored a few.

And Zema was incredibly unlucky with injuries. 

[quote user="tricky974"]Pretty much what everyone else has said and Matthew Rush aswell injured when we got him and then stayed injured.[/quote] mathew rush suffered a serious knee injury on his debut which later happened to him again while at oldham and ended his career so not exactly his fault things didnt work

i seem to remember a top spanish pundit saying we had made one of, if not the, best signings in the championship with the aquisition of Juan Velasco...

You''ve really got to let the David Marshall thing go, Jas. He''ll be playing in the Premier League next year - imagine how cross you''ll be then. Overrated by some, sure, but hardly a crap signing.

The mention of Bradshaw sent a shudder down my spine. Going from Culverhouse to him at right-back was just hideous.

Don''t think anyone''s mentioned Victor Segura. He really was rubbish. My most vivid memory of him was a rabbit-in-headlights punt behind for a corner when we were getting stuffed by Barnet in the league cup. Not sure I''ve ever seen someone so out of his depth in professional football.

I beg to differ. Trevor Hockey (RIP) was brought in to make our midfield a bit nasty and help to avoid relegation.  It worked.  Rumours emanating from WBA that he was a werewolf were totally false.

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]Can''t believe anyone hasn''t raised one of the greatest...Drazen Muzinic...Yugoslavian (it still existed in those days) international, signed by John Bond from Hadjuk Split and a club record signing if memory serves me right.  Utterly useless, failed to adapt to English football.  Bond apparently said that he''d never actually seen him play and signed him on reputation!!!
[/quote]

Oi!