Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Really Crap Signings of Yester year

Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong.

Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Here we are agaain in the close season looking forward to nice new signings. remember when they all went horribly wrong. Darren Beckford, Neil Emblem,Helveg, Jonnsonn. Sure there are many more out there in peoples memories[/quote]

Arsene Wenger once famously said that he would never buy players out of summer tournament football. Matias Jonson was a classic example of why not to when Worthington signed him off the back of Euro ''04. at 30 years of age for a Swede to have never played outside of Scandinavia should have raised suspicisions as anyone who''s any good from that part of the world would have long since moved, at 1.5 mil must ate as pound for pound our worst ever signing?

He managed to go through a whole premiership season without scoring or perhaps more tellingly for a winger creating any assists. A truely dreadful signing.

Jonson took a long while to adapt. He was a poor signing but i do remember that game with head bandage. Thought he was like a rabbitt in headlights for first 3 quarters of the season but done ok last couple of months, even voted player of the month i think,

Other poor signings or disapointing signings, in no particular order,

Victor Segura, Jean yves de blassis, Raymond de waard, steve walsh, tony cottee, mike Sheron, Graham Stuart, Zema Abbey, Neil Emblem, cedric anselin, troy archibald henville, trevor benjamin, Julien Brellier (wonder where the flag is), carl cort, patrick boyle, owain tudor jones, jason jarrett, ian murray,

des hamilton come on down

Ulf ottoson, louis-jean, peschisolido, peter thorn

So many crap players and these are from the last 10-15 years, must be loads more from before my time, (i''m late 20''s)

[quote user="jed exodous"]owain tudor jones[/quote]I''d like to think the jury is still out on that one.

The jury may still be out, but judging by Lamberts reaction when his loan finished, i.e no where near the first team, hes made his verdict.

The guy is not good enough for our team. I wish people could get their heads round this. He couldn''t get into our league 1 team, why do you want to give him a chance in the champ? i''m now waiting for the replies about injuries, he was injured when he signed and had managed around 50 games in 4 years.

If, IF Neil Emblen had been fit, he would have been a quality player. But another crock when he signed, we''ve done that a few times.

Martin Chivers scored on his debut and looked good, then it all went a long way downhill. Willie Young, yes, that was particularly disappointing, he''d been a helluva player-OK, short on skill but big on physical presence-for Arsenal, but treated us, I think, as his retirement fund.

Sean Elliott was another decent''ish centre back who we signed who was a bit of a let down as well.

[quote user="crafty canary"]Yoy want bad?Try Gerry Howshall, Jimmy Blair and Drazen Muzinic for three. Utter crap the lot of ''em.[/quote]

Hey!! I was a great player

Really can''t believe some of the suggestions on here!

I think you should go for an 11 of worse ever signings and then you have to discount players who barely played for us due to career threatening injuries. So that takes out the likes of Giallanza who scored 2 goals in 11 appearences and was not a bad player, Emblen who was injured so badly that he was never able to recapture the form he had for Wolves etc.

My 11 would be:

GK: Theoklitis (is there really any doubt?!!)

RB: Briggs

CB: Archibald-Henville - Who?

CB: McGovern (this may be the start of a trend, a Hamilton signing)

LB: Derveld (oh look, another Hamilton signing)

LM: De Ward (guess who? Hamilton again)

CM: Des Hamilton (would that be a Hamilton signing again?)

CM: Jarrett (don''t care if it was injuries, the fact that he has never reached the heights of playing for us says it all to me)

RM: Whaley (so what he is fast, a chicken can get up a good speed, doesn''t mean its brain works any better)

STR: Thorne (some say he was unlucky, I say he was pants)

STR: Coney

Subs: Garry Brady, Paul Dalglish . . . .

Manager: Bryan Hamilton.

The sad thing is out of that lot half of them are still playing - and some of those that arn''t have been forced to retire through injury like Dalglish and Des Hamilton.

You could easily put another 11 together of injury plagued flops if we put our minds to it which I think is farer than saying they are crap. And in fairness I based my 11 on the fact that the players were crap in the first place. If you were going on ''poor signings'' as in they were not good signings but had been good players prior or post signing for us then I would throw in the likes of Walsh, Cottey, Sibierski etc.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]If, IF Neil Emblen had been fit, he would have been a quality player. But another crock when he signed, we''ve done that a few times.

Martin Chivers scored on his debut and looked good, then it all went a long way downhill. Willie Young, yes, that was particularly disappointing, he''d been a helluva player-OK, short on skill but big on physical presence-for Arsenal, but treated us, I think, as his retirement fund.

Sean Elliott was another decent''ish centre back who we signed who was a bit of a let down as well.[/quote]Agreed.Add to the ''decent-ish centre back'' list, who could have been a decent signing,a certain Steve Walsh from Leicester.Tony Cottee has just sprung from my ''not fond of'' memory bank,also!

[quote user="yellow blood"]

OJ Koroma - did he ever play for us?

Yes. away at MK Dons in the cup. Missed a sitter!

[/quote]

What a shame we didn''t have Teddy Sheringham on the books at the same time.

I quite liked the idea of a forward pairing of Sheringham & Koroma...Ok, I''ll get me coat...

[quote user="yellow blood"]

OJ Koroma - did he ever play for us?

Yes. away at MK Dons in the cup. Missed a sitter!

[/quote]

He also started in the away game at Southampton (lost 0-2 and Stefanovic was sent off) in one of the most corrupt selections I have ever seen. Nowhere near the first team and injured for ages and suddenly from nowhere gets a game at the nearest away ground to his parent club.

I''ll leave it to all to draw your own conclusions about the reasons for his selection.

OJ Koroma did come on as a sub against Coventry in the first game of that season, ran around very quickly and missed a couple of very good chances.

Not sure who you mean WITS...

Marc "13 seconds" Libbra?

Cedric "Bordeaux To Dereham in 6 Easy Steps" Anselin?

Julian "YouTube" Brellier?

Jean Yves "Nothing Interesting" De Blasiis?...