Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Coventry fan here RE Elliot Ward

Very good signing for you boys, in his 4 years here he has been a good performer for us until Coleman took over. Coleman does not like Centre halves who like to play the ball out from the back he likes his big strong cloggers at the back. Are Norwich a passing side ? If so he will fit into your system very well as his comfortability on the ball is one of his main strengths. Elliot is definatley a top class centre back in this division and on his day he is one of the best. He does has a few weight/fitness issues but it''s nothing a good pre season can''t sort out. He definately has the potential to play in the premier league in my opinion.StrengthsVery good on the ball.Clean tackler of the ballVery good in the airGood communicator, leads the defense well - potential to be a captain in the future.WeaknessesNot the quickestCan on the occassion overplayMakes a couple of bad mistakes a seasonOn the whole a VERY good signing for you.

Cheers for the info Adam. I remember him being pretty solid - a good distributor at the back will help us greatly. Doc''s passing was much-improved this season but he was hardly a graceful player...

Tallies with what my Cov mate has told me, will certainly give the guy a chance to prove himself.

[quote user="Adam"]Very good signing for you boys, in his 4 years here he has been a good performer for us until Coleman took over. Coleman does not like Centre halves who like to play the ball out from the back he likes his big strong cloggers at the back. Are Norwich a passing side ? If so he will fit into your system very well as his comfortability on the ball is one of his main strengths. Elliot is definatley a top class centre back in this division and on his day he is one of the best. He does has a few weight/fitness issues but it''s nothing a good pre season can''t sort out. He definately has the potential to play in the premier league in my opinion.

Strengths
Very good on the ball.
Clean tackler of the ball
Very good in the air
Good communicator, leads the defense well - potential to be a captain in the future.

Weaknesses
Not the quickest
Can on the occassion overplay
Makes a couple of bad mistakes a season

On the whole a VERY good signing for you.
[/quote]i think we are a good passing side....just on the other side of the coin....enjoy you hoof ball this season.

Not a chance, first half of last season he was terrific for us and looked everything like a Premier League player. He got injured and come back a different player but this coincided with Colemans long ball tactics which totally bypassed Clingan.

[quote user="Adam"]Not a chance, first half of last season he was terrific for us and looked everything like a Premier League player. He got injured and come back a different player but this coincided with Colemans long ball tactics which totally bypassed Clingan. [/quote]He stood out, head and shoulders above anyone in our side the season we got relegated.Probably one of the few ex players I''d welcome back.

When he gets the ball off the back four he looks like one of the best holding midfielders in the league, probably is the best. Last season we just didn''t use him enough unfortunately, I can see next season being the same, wouldn''t surprise me if he left to be honest.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]And the Doc Morty![/quote]Goes without saying.[;)]

[quote user="Adam"]When he gets the ball off the back four he looks like one of the best holding midfielders in the league, probably is the best. Last season we just didn''t use him enough unfortunately, I can see next season being the same, wouldn''t surprise me if he left to be honest.[/quote]I thought he was a CB not a holding midfielder?

A very good signing, I remember him being very good as a youngster for West Ham when they were promoted and when he first joined Coventry, don''t know why he didn''t feature more last season.Big, strong and very good on the ball which should suit us nicely next season, E.Ward on the right hand side of the defence and Z.Whitbread on the left looks a very classy partnership on paper.

Hi Adam. Thanks for your comments. Very encouraging.

I wish you all the best for next season; I''ve a soft spot for Coventry. Not really sure why, but they''re one of the clubs I have a fondness for. I think you''ve got some cracking players, but I do have doubts about Mr Boothroyd. Hope he proves me wrong.

"potential to be a captain in the future."

Good to hear - with Crofts, who is also of this mould, just shows what Lambert thinks we need!

[quote user="Adam"]Very good signing for you boys, in his 4 years here he has been a good performer for us until Coleman took over. Coleman does not like Centre halves who like to play the ball out from the back he likes his big strong cloggers at the back. Are Norwich a passing side ? If so he will fit into your system very well as his comfortability on the ball is one of his main strengths. Elliot is definatley a top class centre back in this division and on his day he is one of the best. He does has a few weight/fitness issues but it''s nothing a good pre season can''t sort out. He definately has the potential to play in the premier league in my opinion.

Strengths
Very good on the ball.
Very good in the air
Good communicator, leads the defense well - potential to be a captain in the future.

Weaknesses
Not the quickest

[/quote]

I''m not sure if that is a genuine English word but if it isn''t it is so good it should be....................... 

Mark .Y.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Strengths
Very good on the ball.
Very good in the air

Weaknesses
Not the quickest

[/quote]

I''m not sure if that is a genuine English word but if it isn''t it is so good it should be....................... 

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

Nowt to do with footy...but ...I still laugh at remembering a Samual L jackson interview i heard on the radio when he was describing a film he was in (cant remember the film but he was in the water a lot) - he said "I was in the water a long time and there was a high level of uncomfterbility"  (please say it in his 70''s pimp accent and you''ll see the funny side).

I''ve used the word every since! "its a keeper!"

According to the Coventry Telegraph one of the clubs Ward had talks with before deciding to join us was Sheffield United.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]According to the Coventry Telegraph one of the clubs Ward had talks with before deciding to join us was Sheffield United.
[/quote]

Probably didn''t like the idea of hoofing it every time he got it...

Isn''t nice to get an opinion from a fan of the club the player is leaving, that''s not all "glad he''s gone.... he''s not good enough" etc.

Cheers Adam

(PLEASE give us Clingan back)

[quote user="Adam"]Not a chance, first half of last season he was terrific for us and looked everything like a Premier League player. He got injured and come back a different player but this coincided with Colemans long ball tactics which totally bypassed Clingan.
[/quote]

Now that you have another hoofball manager in Boothroyd you may as well let us have Sammy back...please

Strengths
Very good on the ball.
Very good in the air

Weaknesses
Not the quickest

[/quote]

sounds liek a zak whitbread player then.

Strengths
Very good on the ball.
Very good in the air

Weaknesses
Not the quickest

[/quote]

sounds liek a zak whitbread player then.

Hate to say this is adam,but a friend who is a cov season ticket holder and very pally with/works with a cov board member says cov may have financial meltdown next season unless a secured investment which was promised but yet to materialise,is forth coming!..But he does agree that ward on his day is a class act but does need to add hoof to his game as at times he does overplay..Perhaps Lambert can coach this balance into him!

Any chance we could have Bell and Clingan back too? We''ll swappsies with you, Simon Lappin?