Sign in to follow this  
freddyf105

Statue

I thought Ashman or Butler were great choices are players because they were loyal and embodied the spirit of the club. But I agree on reflection Geoffrey Watling is Mr Norwich City. He saved the club from extinction so many times. Players come and go but without Watling there would be no football club for us to enjoy on a Saturday and chat about on here. A statue of him at some point would be terrific. A bust of him has already been made a believe. I think it was on show at the Preston game when we got promoted in 2004.

Arthur, I know Leeds used to be good, but were they really CHapmions of Europe? Wow, how the mighty have fallen, 3 years in League1.

Yes, I know of Nottingham Forest''s glory days. I hated them all through that!

I''m way out of my league for suggesting a statue, but why not the manager who got us promoted into Div. 1 for the 1st time ever?

Where are the Doherty is a Legend crew? I thought you''d be all over this thread saying he should be permanently memorialized.

Settle down, Andycan, Ginge and others, I am kidding!

Thats he preverse thing about the Doc - He''ll be immortalised by those who could see how good he was for the team and those who thought he cr*p!

The Doc, Ginger Pele legend will live on with no need for a statue!

Wow this is really a great thing to wake up to read on a Sunday morning [:d].I didn''t re-visit the statue thing with the club because I didn''t think enough people really knew about what GW did for the club. He really was Mr Norwich City.... he had a room at his house with every single medal, and trophy we''d ever won duplicated. As well as more memorabilia than you could shake a stick at!

[quote user="Mike Grant"]Robert Fleck outside the away end with two fingers up...[/quote]Haha! how i miss flecky.. he really gave the opposition fans some SH*t didn''t he? doubt he''d get away with it now sadly...I think a statue of Watling is a must.

....Gotta be statues of these two outside of Carra.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why nobody has already suggested it?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Geoffrey Watling

Near the club shop.

In years to come, a perfect statue would be of Hucks.
[/quote]

it''s gota'' be a club legend who has been here for yeas, not just 5 years.

even gunn would be ahead of hux.

Arthur, I know Leeds used to be good, but were they really CHapmions of Europe?

No they never won it. They lost the final, but think they were cheated, and one of their songs is "Champions, champions, champions of europe", they also have a forum called waccoe, standing for, we are champions, chapions of europe......hope that explains my signature mate.

[quote user="crafty canary"]Mike Dennis with his tongue firmly wedged in Delia''s arse with a miniature Morty looking on with a tape playing "Are you on alcohol or drugs?" on a loop.
[/quote]

Absolutely priceless !!! [*]

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]I thought Ashman or Butler were great choices are players because they were loyal and embodied the spirit of the club. But I agree on reflection Geoffrey Watling is Mr Norwich City. He saved the club from extinction so many times. Players come and go but without Watling there would be no football club for us to enjoy on a Saturday and chat about on here. A statue of him at some point would be terrific. A bust of him has already been made a believe. I think it was on show at the Preston game when we got promoted in 2004.[/quote]There is a bust of him, I took this photo of it at the open day a couple of years ago.[IMG]http://barclayendchoir.webs.com/V1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Arthur, I know Leeds used to be good, but were they really CHapmions of Europe? No they never won it. They lost the final, but think they were cheated, and one of their songs is "Champions, champions, champions of europe", they also have a forum called waccoe, standing for, we are champions, chapions of europe......hope that explains my signature mate.[/quote]

Leeds have never appeared in a Champions league final/European Cup Final but i recall them losing a semi final in Paris when those wonderful fans of theirs kicked off big time.I think it was around 1994.

Leeds have never appeared in a Champions league final/European Cup Final but i recall them losing a semi final in Paris when those wonderful fans of theirs kicked off big time.I think it was around 1994

No you are wrong Tilly........

The 1975 European Cup Final was a football match held at the Parc des Princes, Paris, on 28 May 1975 between Leeds United and Bayern Munich.

Maybe this will refresh your memory Tilly....im seriously shocked you didnt know about it.......

Bayern Munich 2-0 Leeds United

Roth 71

Muller 81

28 May 1975, Parc des Princes, Paris

Leeds United were only the second English side to reach a European Cup final following Manchester United''s win of 1968.

And the Yorkshire side became the first to lose one, in the most controversial of circumstances.

Don Revie had built this great Leeds side but had left for the England job when they reached a European Cup final.

Bremner: "We wanted it for Don"

Jimmy Armfield was the man who led the team to Paris, but the former boss was in the players'' thinking.

"We wanted it for Don Revie," said skipper Billy Bremner. "And we were very confident going into that game, because we were quite an accomplished team."

Their opponents were cup holders, but anticipated a tough time against the English champions.

"We knew that English sides were always tough to play," said German keeper Sepp Maier.

Captain Franz Beckanbauer admitted that Leeds were "one of the best sides in Europe".

Horror challenge

They were also one of the most physical and Bayern were incensed at a fourth minute horror challenge by Terry Yorath on Bjorn Andersson, who had to be stretchered off.

Still Leeds had more to complain about, denied a clear penalty after Beckanbauer brought down Allan Clarke in the first half.

Then 25 minutes before the end, Peter Lorimer''s fierce volley hit the back of the net.

"I said to myself that''s it," recalled Beckanbauer. "We were very lucky the referee and the linesman disallowed the goal."

Missiles rain down as Bayern celebrate

The reason was Bremner, who was offside but running away from the line and hardly interfering with play.

"We came back into the game and scored two lucky goals, so in the end we were the winners but we were very, very lucky," admitted Beckanbauer.

The Leeds fans in the Parc des Princes agreed. The closing stages of the match and Bayern''s lap of honour were disrupted by seats thrown by spectators.

Paris then experienced pitched battles between the English visitors and police, and the whole affair resulted in a three-year European ban for Leeds.

"He was very suspicious," Bremner said of the French referee, although the late Leeds captain admitted the team had not played as well as it might have done.

"We were well in command of that game, but I don''t think we were as professional as we should have been that night because we were caught by a couple of sucker punches."

Bayern Munich: Maier; Bechenbauer, Schwarzenbeck, Durnberger, Andersson (Weiss); Zobel, Roth, Kapellmann; Hoeness (Wunder), Muller, Torstensson

Leeds United: Stewart; Reaney, F.Gray, Madeley, Hunter; Bremner, Giles, Yorath (E.Gray); Lorimer, Clarke, Jordan

Referee: Kitabdijan (France), Attendance: 50,000

This is hence why Leeds fans sing "Champions,champions, champions of europe"....and also the leeds forum WACCOE stands for we are chamions champions of europe............

Come on Tilly you knew that didnt you??????

Without a doubt it has to be the Sweeeeeeeeeeeets, chocolates, hot drinks, cold drinks man. A true legend. You could push a button on his trolley and he says " Come and get your sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, chocolates, hot drinks, cold drinks. People would enjoy that.

Or the 3 wheeler car seen on numerous occasions in the corner between the river end and south stand in the 1970''s and 80''s.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Geoffrey Watling

Near the club shop.
[/quote]My choice also...............not ruddy Delia before some clown says so.[;)][/quote]

I must be a clown then? - I''d love to see Delia over anyone else.

perm anyone from three as far as i am concerned1: geoffrey whatling2: ron saunders3: john bondbut not robert chase!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theo...The greatest keeper to play for Norwich!

Mr Canary, quite easily - saved this club, (i believe twice) so would definaltey be him!

Howevere how about Delia with a glass of wine?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]This is hence why Leeds fans sing "Champions,champions, champions of europe"....and also the leeds forum WACCOE stands for we are chamions champions of europe............ Come on Tilly you knew that didnt you??????[/quote]

Bugger me Arthur i must be having an early bout of old timers desease as the only bit i got right was Paris.I am well aware of Waccoe and what it means so i stand corrected on all other counts.

Bugger me Arthur i must be having an early bout of old timers desease as the only bit i got right was Paris.I am well aware of Waccoe and what it means so i stand corrected on all other counts.

Tilly my friend....I claim my fiver!!!

Well Geoffrey Watling was mostly before my time, although I remember him saving us from the mess of the Robert Chase era. I bow down to the opinions of the older fans on this one though. Otherwise omebody suggested Jeremy Goss scoring that goal against Bayern Munich, but rather than it be a statue for Goss himself it would be for the whole team of that Mike Walker era.