Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Be interesting Arthur to see the AGE of those who DONT support their home team and will back another Countries team instead, that to me is just wrong.  By all means admire a Countries team and how the play the game, but to support them, it stinks IMHO.

[/quote]

Have many people said they were going to support another country then? I haven''t got time to check the whole thread but I would imagine it''s a very, very small minority.

I''m not surprised that a lot of football fans have turned their backs on the national team to be honest. There has been a feeling around the country for a while now that pulling on an England shirt doesn''t actually mean that much to some of the players. I''m not convinced that it''s true but it''s played upon by various newspapers who want to put the genie back in the bottle and return to an age where playing for ones country was the greatest honour any footballer could wish for. I think all of our players will want to do their best out in South Africa (for themselves as much as for their country) but they will undoubtedly be accused of not caring the minute they get knocked out  I love watching international football but the fact is that in terms of quality it is now inferior to the Champions League. The top players are dropping down a level to play in the World Cup. Then you have the fact that the England XI just seem so damned unlikeable. I''m sure if you dug deep enough the Spanish, Italian and Brazillian teams would display equally deplorable character traits but we don''t get to hear about that.

Your point about age may well be a good one even though it doesn''t make a lot of sense. The world has changed greatly since I was a kid and I''m guessing I''m a fair bit younger than you (and a lot younger than Arthur [:D]). What does being English mean to young fans today? Does a Chelsea fan whose club is owned by a Russian, managed by an Italian and packed with players from all over the world still care about the national team as a Chelsea fan of twenty years ago might have done? You can''t answer those questions purely in terms of football as they are influenced by wider issues. The upshot of which are that this country is vastly different than it was 20+ years ago and with regards to the debate about what that means for the country football is one very small part of such a debate.
[/quote]

Ive heard quite a few and not only on here, have a flick through and you''ll be quite surprised.

Sorry I didn''t reply earlier but only just reread the thread lol.

Sort of like the Norwich players season before last who got us relegated, yet we still supported through thick and thin, even though sometimes we may have questioned our sanity at watching them [:D]

Maybe because their press get behind the National teams where as ours find fault with everything and everyone playing for the England team, it happens every time England are in a big competition, some scandal or another is in the press and most not true.  But some of the good old public are intent on believing some gutter press reports. 

People are free to support whichever Country they want, I just can''t understand English fans supporting Spain or Italy or Argentina.  Maybe I am too proud to be English, or maybe they aren''t proud enough [:D]

Yes Lord Flasheart people like you are pathetic.

Take a Norwich away game, the excitement, of visitng a new ground, new surroundings, few beers, multiply that feeling by 100 and you dont come close to an England away experience.

Odd that you call yourself Lord Flasheart, after a character from a great English sitcom, Blackadder. Why didnt you choose a name after a Spanish sitcom?

Sorry for saying ceefax, how terrible of me, teletext, is that better?

I also think IDB, that picking fault with me saying ceefax just goes to show that there was nothing else in my post that you could find fault with. Thanks.

[quote user="Millo"]Yes Lord Flasheart people like you are pathetic.

Take a Norwich away game, the excitement, of visitng a new ground, new surroundings, few beers, multiply that feeling by 100 and you dont come close to an England away experience.

Odd that you call yourself Lord Flasheart, after a character from a great English sitcom, Blackadder. Why didnt you choose a name after a Spanish sitcom?

Sorry for saying ceefax, how terrible of me, teletext, is that better?[/quote]Calm down mate, I wasn''t having a go it was supposed to be a lighthearted comment. Didn''t realise teletext was still in use either, thought the www had made them all obsolete.

[quote user="Millo"]Yes Lord Flasheart people like you are pathetic.

Sorry for saying ceefax, how terrible of me, teletext, is that better?[/quote]Seriously, I''m ashamed. Deeply ashamed. I think I''ll go cross out the nationality on my birth certificate since I''m clearly not English enough. I''ll get back to you once I feel worthy of your Englishness. [:''(]

spent much of my teenage years living in France and Spain perhaps for me that is why I never developed a deep attachment to England

See now, thats fair enough, if I had lived in another country for a long period of my life......who knows???

Sorry In Dubious Battle, got a tad carried away, as I feel strongly about this. Sorry about that.

The reason I dont post much on here, is pillocks making little one liners, sitting back and patting themselves on the back, where in real life there is long tumbleweed silence.

Perhaps I should set up a help group for self-loathing Englishmen like myself. At least then I won''t feel alone when I put on my Spain shirt, open a bottle of ouzo and tuck into my spaghetti bolognese whilst I cheer on Denmark. [Y]

Seriously, I''m ashamed. Deeply ashamed. I think I''ll go cross out the nationality on my birth certificate since I''m clearly not English enough. I''ll get back to you once I feel worthy of your Englishness.

Idiot!!!

Paul Lambert''s Disciple The thing about ''nationality'' is that it is an organic construct, it involves self-determination, people choose to belong to a nation. Whereas the choice of which state to belong too is not optional. For instance your passport says ''British'' Britain is not a nation it is a State which are different things entirely. The people within the State of Britain may determine themselves as English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, by a particular region, by their ethnicity, religion or none of them. Your point would only make sense if either there was a Great Britain football team.

The reason I dont post much on here, is pillocks making little one liners, sitting back and patting themselves on the back, where in real life there is long tumbleweed silence.

Perhaps I should set up a help group for self-loathing Englishmen like myself. At least then I won''t feel alone when I put on my Spain shirt, open a bottle of ouzo and tuck into my spaghetti bolognese whilst I cheer on Denmark.

Tee hee hee, Im with Millo on this, if you are going to make an attempt at sarcasim, please remember to try and make it funny at least.....what is it they say....sarcasim is the lowest form of wit......well at least Flashearts shown half of it..... Tit!!!

Look what I''ve just bought on Ebay! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GHANA-T-Shirt-World-Cup-South-Africa-2010-ALL-SIZES-/190390339375?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Men_s_Clothes&var=&hash=item721676cd97 I figured it would be a decent buy seeing as it''s the same colour as my Norwich shirt. Not bad eh?

The thing about ''nationality'' is that it is an organic construct, it involves self-determination, people choose to belong to a nation. Whereas the choice of which state to belong too is not optional. For instance your passport says ''British'' Britain is not a nation it is a State which are different things entirely.

fair point, although when asked ethnic origin, at doctors etc and they say white british? I always say white english........im not scottish, welsh or irish and all 3 of them hate the english.

[quote user="Millo"]Sorry In Dubious Battle, got a tad carried away, as I feel strongly about this. Sorry about that.

The reason I dont post much on here, is pillocks making little one liners, sitting back and patting themselves on the back, where in real life there is long tumbleweed silence.[/quote]No worries, I find its quite easy to misinterpret the intent behind comments on a message board sometimes so completely understand.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]The thing about ''nationality'' is that it is an organic construct, it involves self-determination, people choose to belong to a nation. Whereas the choice of which state to belong too is not optional. For instance your passport says ''British'' Britain is not a nation it is a State which are different things entirely.

fair point, although when asked ethnic origin, at doctors etc and they say white british? I always say white english........im not scottish, welsh or irish and all 3 of them hate the english.[/quote]Thats true if I could get away with saying Norfolkian (or whatever it would be?) I would, but I always say English instead of British when asked for nationality. I know its me being pedantic, but British is not a nationality. 

Ok I''ll stop now. There''s no challenge in teasing some of the self-important dipsticks that post on here. Continue with your Englishness, brothers! To Africa! [IMG]http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq174/NCFC87/england-flag.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I am Welsh but will be support England.[/quote]

The nerve of some people. [:@]
[/quote]

I know

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I am Welsh but will be support England.[/quote]The nerve of some people. [:@][/quote]

I know

[/quote]You''re not a true Englishman. I hope that burns on your conscience. [:@]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I am mortified but inwardly content.[/quote]Feel free to join my support group. We''re all going to sit in a circle and discuss how ashamed we are for not being as English as others. [:(]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I am mortified but inwardly content.[/quote]

Feel free to join my support group. We''re all going to sit in a circle and discuss how ashamed we are for not being as English as others. [:(]
[/quote]

Only if I can wear my dragon thong.

God this thread is making my blood boil.

I am English Born in Norfolk lived In Norfolk all my Life Supported City all my Life. Even if my father didn''t happen to be Swiss I would Never support the England Football Team for reasons explained earlier on this thread.

I support England at all other sports and attended the Spain Game at Euro 96.

You are like the knobs that try and tell me I should support Manure when they play in Europe. I say get stuffed.

And frankly your comments on here remind me what I dislike about the flag waving hoards that infect beautiful cities throughout europe making me truly ashamed.

And frankly your comments on here remind me what I dislike about the flag waving hoards that infect beautiful cities throughout europe making me truly ashamed.

And frankly your comments on here remind me that those that despise our national team and flag are morons like you who belive everything they read in the press about all England fans being racist skinhead thugs..........so Ditto pal........