Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

I think it''s genuinely pathetic for those who are English and who follow football to say that they will only have a kind of fleeting support for England, what kind of people are you??You think it''s easy for a Leeds fan to see all those scum, Chelsea and Liverpool players in the England squad, it''s not, but then again why should it matter??? It doesn''t, it''s the England team and we should all come together to support them.  I can only assume that this is a very small minority of English supporting supporters as already I see loads of people knocking about with England jerseys on, flags flying from their cars (which reminds me I''ve gotta put mine up) and flags flying from houses and such. It''s a great time for national pride, it''s great to give the two fingers to those Anti-English sentiments I feel all too often day in day out.This is England, we are playing in a world, we are gonna enjoy it no matter what happens and to all those who look down on this great nation can go suck my big English cherries.

I can ensure you that those who are not fussed about the English national side are in the minority, I have no problem with them as it''s their opinion but they are the ones missing out IMO.

Don''t know why, but I feel that patriotism is for countries that aren''t England. We have no need to assert that we are the best, its being a bad winner.

Also, The whole English/British thing is less distinct in England that in Wales/Scotland on the basis that England rather took them over, so for us it is the concepts are really the same.

However, for me Northern Ireland are my first choice followed by England. I discovered this when they played in a competitive match a few years ago. But I don''t feel the same way about any international team as I do about Norwich, I just don''t have the burning, nail biting apprehension that we might lose I get when watching City.

[quote user="7rew"]Don''t know why, but I feel that patriotism is for countries that aren''t England. We have no need to assert that we are the best, its being a bad winner.[/quote]

I completely disagree, I don''t know why being patriotic about England is so often frowned upon by English and non-English people. Also patriotism isn''t necessarily trying to prove were the best, it''s about being proud of where you come from and uniting together with fellow country men, nothing wrong with it at all.

[quote user="Resident Leeds Fan Jonny"]I think it''s genuinely pathetic for those who are English and who follow football to say that they will only have a kind of fleeting support for England, what kind of people are you??

You think it''s easy for a Leeds fan to see all those scum, Chelsea and Liverpool players in the England squad, it''s not, but then again why should it matter??? It doesn''t, it''s the England team and we should all come together to support them. 

I can only assume that this is a very small minority of English supporting supporters as already I see loads of people knocking about with England jerseys on, flags flying from their cars (which reminds me I''ve gotta put mine up) and flags flying from houses and such. It''s a great time for national pride, it''s great to give the two fingers to those Anti-English sentiments I feel all too often day in day out.

This is England, we are playing in a world, we are gonna enjoy it no matter what happens and to all those who look down on this great nation can go suck my big English cherries.
[/quote]

I''m not anti-English, I just don''t find as much emotional attachment to the English team as I have for my club. Is that alright by you ... please? [:)] 

[quote user="Resident Leeds Fan Jonny"]I think it''s genuinely pathetic for those who are English and who follow football to say that they will only have a kind of fleeting support for England, what kind of people are you??[/quote]I think it''s reasonably pathetic for a Leeds fan to be hanging around on a Norwich City messageboard, but live and let live.

FAO Simon Lappin King of Spain.....

You say you are half Irish. Were you born in Ireland? That would make you Irish or do you have an Irish Parent but born in England? In which case surely your Motherland is England? Or is this a classic case of "I once flew over Ireland on the way to the USA so i must have Irish blood in me"?

Don''t give a toss about England, don''t even consider myself English, I am from Norfolk. Now if they had a national team it would be a different matter. During the world cup I will be supporting Spain for the simple fact they play the most attractive football and that includes if they come up against England.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Don''t give a toss about England, don''t even consider myself English, I am from Norfolk. [/quote]Jesus wept. You do realise Norfolk has never been an independent sovereign state, don''t you? This is not Cornwall. There is no Norfolk Liberation Army.You live in England. Suck it up.

Some people on here are a disgrace claiming to support other national teams. If your english you should support england!

I love watching England. Having been brought up living away from Norwich none of my freinds support Norwich. So when the oppurtunity comes along to watch England and support the same team as my mates i absolutely love it, and i cannot wait untill the first game!! I hate every other nation especially the argies, germans, aussies and portugal!

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Don''t give a toss about England, don''t even consider myself English, I am from Norfolk.

[/quote]

Jesus wept. You do realise Norfolk has never been an independent sovereign state, don''t you? This is not Cornwall. There is no Norfolk Liberation Army.

You live in England. Suck it up.
[/quote]

Some people don''t agree with your viewpoint. Suck it up.

And, note to Jonny - your type attitude is one of the things that puts me off.

That said, I will be cheering England on but I just won''t be daubing myself in face paint or smashing up pubs when/if we get knocked out.

And, Arthur, re your analysis of national identity - don''t you think that the nationality of your parents has as much to do with it? 

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Some people on here are a disgrace claiming to support other national teams. If your english you should support england!

[/quote]Why should we? What if we don''t feel English? By your logic if there was a European team we should support that as we are European. I identify myself with Norfolk, therefore I support City and nobody else.

Ireland fan here, (as seen from the name, obvioulsy im from Ireland!) Would love if we were in the world cup and would definitely be following it closely then (even though we would do crap!) Its interesting to see how many fans here are not bothered following England! I would of been under the impression they would be followed massively by most footie fans over there. Each to there own though!

Someone else on this thread said it best.I will cheer the team on when they play and will wish them success in every match.  I will not get drunk and rampage around the city in my England shirt with eight or nine other individuals, drunk, aggressive, shouting and chanting and standing in front of traffic, urinating in the street and picking fights at random with passers-by who look "a bit foreign".I will support England, but you can stick your "Ingurland" up your arse.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Oh and i would take England winning the world cup over Norwich getting promotion this season.[/quote]You''re not a proper norwich supporter in my book

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Someone else on this thread said it best.I will cheer the team on when they play and will wish them success in every match.  I will not get drunk and rampage around the city in my England shirt with eight or nine other individuals, drunk, aggressive, shouting and chanting and standing in front of traffic, urinating in the street and picking fights at random with passers-by who look "a bit foreign".I will support England, but you can stick your "Ingurland" up your arse.[/quote]Here here, it''s the chav scum that use England as an excuse to behave like tits that put the rest of us off. It''s like supporting Leeds FFS. I still hope England win it though [;)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Someone else on this thread said it best.I will cheer the team on when they play and will wish them success in every match.  I will not get drunk and rampage around the city in my England shirt with eight or nine other individuals, drunk, aggressive, shouting and chanting and standing in front of traffic, urinating in the street and picking fights at random with passers-by who look "a bit foreign".I will support England, but you can stick your "Ingurland" up your arse.[/quote]I was on holiday in Ibiza during the 2002 world cup and saw England get knocked out of the tournament by Brazil. A load of idiot thugs then decided to vent their frustration on the Spanish by shouting abuse kicking and jumping on cars and smashing windows to several Spanish shops. I don''t know if they thought Brazil was something to do with Spain or whether they just wanted some people to take their aggression out on? This is another good reason why I would never support England, its the mentality of their fans. At least most other nations beahve in a dignified manner..

I''m half Welsh, half English. Born in Norwich and live in England but I feel far more affinity with Wales so I support them at football. In major tournaments, as Wales never get in I usually support Sweden (lived there for a while). With neither of those in this WC I''m just hoping for a good spectacle and some shocks from the underdogs I think...obviously it''d be exciting if England got to the semis or something like that, but I don''t feel anything at all if they win or lose.

I always used to feel a certain affinity with Wales (partly due to it being the only country Norwich players regularly played for)

I am proud to be British I am just not an England football fan and frankly will be relieved when England are knocked out of the world cup.

On the Ball City !

[quote user="Adam NCFC"]How is he not a proper fan? You were born English. You chose city. :)

I am proud to support both.[/quote]No proper fan would rather England won something over us given a choice (even hypothetical). I was born English, I was also born European, Norfolk and Norwich. England is an arbitary nation state and I''ve got more in common with a working man with a brain in Norway than I have with a chav from Plymouth.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="Adam NCFC"]How is he not a proper fan? You were born English. You chose city. :)

I am proud to support both.[/quote]No proper fan would rather England won something over us given a choice (even hypothetical). I was born English, I was also born European, Norfolk and Norwich. England is an arbitary nation state and I''ve got more in common with a working man with a brain in Norway than I have with a chav from Plymouth.[/quote]Although judging by your profile picture.... [:D]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="Adam NCFC"]How is he not a proper fan? You were born English. You chose city. :)

I am proud to support both.[/quote]No proper fan would rather England won something over us given a choice (even hypothetical). I was born English, I was also born European, Norfolk and Norwich. England is an arbitary nation state and I''ve got more in common with a working man with a brain in Norway than I have with a chav from Plymouth.[/quote]Although judging by your profile picture.... [:D][/quote]Ha ha, touche[:P]

I''m on the fence on this one.

I watched a few clips from Italia 90 on youtube yesterday and began to get all excited about the world cup. There really is nothing like it when England make progress. That and Euro 96 were great experiences.

But then you look at Cashley Cole, ''JT'', Fat Frank and think - there''s no way that these money-grabbing tossers represent me, or anything I love about England. The idea of Terry in particular running around Jo''burg with the World Cup actually makes me feel a bit nauseous. (And it''s got nothing to do with his infidelity, that''s none of my business - it''s his thuggishness on the pitch and his appalling exploitation of his role as England captain).

The current lot are certainly very difficult to support.

It has to be said, though, that we have no chance of winning it, so the dilemma won''t seriously be faced.

I don''t see how you can be a footy fan and not support your national team? It''s like living in Norwich and not being a city fan.

And also how can you not be exited about the world cup and call yourself ''gazzathegreat''.... unless your not refering to the legend of italia 90!

Those who say they support Spain because of their style of play are probably the same people who moan about all the Glory Hunters around here not supporting Norwich.I think those who do not support our country in anyway are strongly in the minority and i can just disregard them entirely. Those who are not too fussed but will back England, well, in my view theres nothing wrong with that. I''ll show passion towards England and i''ll support them every step of the way and i''ll be very dissapointed when / if we do get knocked out. I''m English. It''s how it works. [:D]