Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"]Sorry but, in my view, many of you are totally missing the point.The players representing us in the World Cup are more-or-less irrelevant; its actually ourselves, as a nation, we are supporting.[/quote]Not in my world.  The team are who we support and get behind, eleven individuals plus subs.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Very well said Paul Lambert''s Disciple[Y]I feel sorry for the people who don''t get excited and carried away with all the hype and tension that surrounds a world cup involving England, they are the ones missing out while the rest of us get on with backing our nation in the biggest sporting event in the world, even though it probably will end in bitter disappointment I for one will still enjoy the highs and lows that come with an England world cup.[/quote]Who said we wouldn''t be getting behind England?  I will be, I''m just not that bothered if we get knocked out on penalties in the quarter finals.  I will be enjoying most of the matches and the football on display, and will be cheering England on to do well - but if I had to choose between Norwich''s promotion and England winning the world cup, I''d choose Norwich.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Not in my world.  The team are who we support and get behind, eleven individuals plus subs.[/quote]Eh? By that logic, you should still be "supporting" The Doc, despite the fact he no longer represents our side.And, of course, that''d be a bit strange.Oh... hang on.

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Not in my world.  The team are who we support and get behind, eleven individuals plus subs.[/quote]Eh? By that logic, you should still be "supporting" The Doc, despite the fact he no longer represents our side.And, of course, that''d be a bit strange.Oh... hang on.[/quote]Well, that line of thinking works if you think this message board somehow equates to the real world.  Yes I''m still pissed off that Doc got the boot but I think Elliott Ward will be a good, if not better, replacement.  I''ll have my summer of mourning and move on and get behind Ward and his partner (Whitbread, I guess) next season.I seriously don''t believe, however, that people don''t get behind the players, as if somehow team selection doesn''t matter.  That seemed to be the summary of your argument but feel free to correct me if I''m misunderstanding your point. 

[quote user="The Black Panther"]

It''s a stupid thing to get into an argument about really. If England win the World Cup it doesn''t mean that Norwich won''t get promoted or vice versa.

[/quote]Really?  Oh my god!  You''ve ruined my life!

You only have to look at my name to know that I will be supporting ABE.....for all the reasons previuosly stated above.

When we qualify we KNOW we have over achieved and enjoy every match. I can still see wee Archie Gemmill`s goal against Holland in 1974, remember who I was with and where I saw it.....savour the moment.

We are not the best team in the world or even Europe. We accept that and go out to play for the shirt..

England are not the greatest team in the world...get over it!!

[quote user="McCanary"]

You only have to look at my name to know that I will be supporting ABE.....for all the reasons previuosly stated above.

When we qualify we KNOW we have over achieved and enjoy every match. I can still see wee Archie Gemmill`s goal against Holland in 1974, remember who I was with and where I saw it.....savour the moment.

We are not the best team in the world or even Europe. We accept that and go out to play for the shirt..

[/quote]

* previously..

Personally I don''t support England too passionately, not in football anyway. Like some others have said, I simply can''t identify with the likes of Rooney, Terry et al. They are all a world away from the ordinary English person. Added to that I have celtic blood in my veins and sorry I just can''t get too excited about solely supporting England. Cricket yes, but that''s perhaps something I have had passed on from former generations in my family.

I love the Olympics and feel British rather than English. But will watch some of the matches purely for the football.

Summer sport is wonderful. Cricket and plenty of it, tennis and some athletics thrown in, but the World Cup is not top of the list for me.

some of the replies on here leave me staggered.....

WHERE''S YOUR NATIONAL PRIDE???????

No wonder being English is now seen as something to be ashamed of. Christ.

Some of you need to spend time living in another country that HATES the English - I gurantee you will suddenly rediscover your ''Englishness''. When we were beating Bayern in their own back yard I was living in the NE of Scotland - I was watching the game in a loca bar surrounded by locals in Bayern shirts - simply because they couldn''t bear the thought of seeing anything English succeed. From that point on, I will never ever support Scotland in anything - and it helped me establish my national identity.

Be proud to be English!

No we may not win the World Cup, and yes, the players representing us may be distant and detached from reality - but hell they have my support whatever.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Thats your opinion Temp and your entitled to it only some of us have a different view of it. I''m English and happy to be so but i''ve got no intrest in the England football team and i''ve no desire to drive round with a couple of crappy plastic flags from Tesco on my car, unless there the ones that say CHAMPIONS 2009/10 of course! Only i ain''t seen those ones in my local Tesco.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Part of the problem for me is that our international team are largely a bunch of arrogant, self-absorbed and super-wealthy tosspots.  The 1966 team were working class heroes in the truest sense, many of them so skint in later life that they have sold their world cup medals and/or their shirts to have anything like a semi-decent standard of living.  1966 - Bobby Moore2010 - John TerryWhile it would be nice if England got to the semi finals, is it surprising that some of us aren''t really that bothered?[/quote]

Exactly my sentiments, Mr. Chops

[quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]I can still see wee Archie Gemmill`s goal against Holland in 1978. [:$]Assuming you mean that stunning goal of the tournament which gave the Scots victory over the mighty 1970''s Netherlands side of Neeskins, Rep etc. of course.[;)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]

And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.

Now you can carry on being ever so slightly racist.

[/quote]

He said "in England"..

So you don''t believe that Norman Tebbit was right?

[/quote]

I believe that Norman Tebbit proves God has a sense of humour.

[/quote]

Brushing aside that rather tired and unoriginal joke, why not try answering the question?

What leaves me staggered is that some of you just can''t accept that some people have a different opinion to you on this. Yes, I''ll cheer England on but, due to a number of factors (most of which have been mentioned on here), I just don''t get anywhere near as worked up/passionate about it as I do with City. Nowhere near - simple as ...   Just my personal opinion and it''s not ''disgraceful'' or any of the other way melodramatic adjectives that have been used on here. [:)]

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]some of the replies on here leave me staggered.....

WHERE''S YOUR NATIONAL PRIDE???????

No wonder being English is now seen as something to be ashamed of. Christ.

Some of you need to spend time living in another country that HATES the English - I gurantee you will suddenly rediscover your ''Englishness''. When we were beating Bayern in their own back yard I was living in the NE of Scotland - I was watching the game in a loca bar surrounded by locals in Bayern shirts - simply because they couldn''t bear the thought of seeing anything English succeed. From that point on, I will never ever support Scotland in anything - and it helped me establish my national identity.

Be proud to be English!

No we may not win the World Cup, and yes, the players representing us may be distant and detached from reality - but hell they have my support whatever.

COME ON ENGLAND!!![/quote]Totally agree with you.If this thread / board is a microcosm of English society then God help us, and not just in sporting competition.No wonder we hear of nothing but "broken Britain" when the populus has all but disowned it.

I too support Switzerland as I have dual nationality (my father is swiss) and being 44 years old I have had to put up with people going on about England winning since I was born and the press really gets me down. I happily support england in all other sports and support all other "home" countries in football but when the press "big up" England before every competition then destroy them when they do not win it really winds me up.

Add to this the number of tossers that play for England that I would find it hard to support (although obviously this is not as difficult as it was when we were in the Prem)

If the press and fans could be a little more realistic about our chances and celebrate a level of success rather than call it failure (quarter or semi final ?) then maybe i could change my mind

There is an awfully big diffence between being proud to be English, and supporting a football team in the World Cup.

I am proud to be English, although will critise the things I feel aren''t right.

In the World Cup I want to be entertained, so I don''t really support anyone but just want to watch good football; if England played good football then I would probably support them, but they don''t, they play some naff kick and run school yard version of the game. The World Cup is the chance to watch the best players from around the world  and although there are less and less "unknown" players who will surprise it is always interesting when someone like Hagi pops up and show some real skills, or a Saudi guy runs from the half way line to score a goal - those are the truely great moments of the World Cup, not England grinding out a 1-0 win against Algeria. 

Maybe it is partly due to the huge amount of football coverage on television these days that we''re almost overdosing on the stuff. I used to be excited about it but now just feel indifferent.

You can either sit at home watching yet more blanket coverage of football or alternatively with the chance of some nice weather in prospect actually go outside and enjoy some warm weather, partake in some outdoor activity and enjoy life.

When the summer is over, come back to NCFC refreshed, batteries recharged and all set for another season of real excitement and drama.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.Now you can carry on being ever so slightly racist.[/quote]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]I believe that Norman Tebbit proves God has a sense of humour.[/quote]

Brushing aside that rather tired and unoriginal joke, why not try answering the question?

[/quote]My answer is that a lot of people who have moved to this country will not particularly care about the World Cup.  I think that''s fair enough, personally.  When you look at the way that feral British youths will use the world cup as an excuse to behave like drunken morons and smash stuff up, I can''t say I blame them.Now, a question for you using Tebbit''s cricket test.  There are 3 million English ex-pats living in Spain.  Who do you think they will be supporting?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]

And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.

[/quote]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My answer is that a lot of people who have moved to this country will not particularly care about the World Cup.  I think that''s fair enough, personally.  When you look at the way that feral British youths will use the world cup as an excuse to behave like drunken morons and smash stuff up, I can''t say I blame them.

Now, a question for you using Tebbit''s cricket test.  There are 3 million English ex-pats living in Spain.  Who do you think they will be supporting?

[/quote]

Errrrrr......  Simon Lappin????

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/965d7767e5.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/75d4c01cd1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e1593ed896.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/965d7767e5.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/75d4c01cd1.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e1593ed896.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]

Hola Chops!  Como esta?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My answer is that a lot of people who have moved to this country will not particularly care about the World Cup.  I think that''s fair enough, personally.  When you look at the way that feral British youths will use the world cup as an excuse to behave like drunken morons and smash stuff up, I can''t say I blame them.

Now, a question for you using Tebbit''s cricket test.  There are 3 million English ex-pats living in Spain.  Who do you think they will be supporting?

[/quote]

England, but most of them were born here.

I don''t see how you can be a footy fan and not support your national team? It''s like living in Norwich and not being a city fan.

And also how can you not be exited about the world cup and call yourself ''gazzathegreat''.... unless your not refering to the legend of italia 90!

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Made me laugh when Chiles said that there was 50m England fans, no Chiles, there''s 50m people in England but take all the non-English and those born here but who still consider some other place "home" out of the equation and you end up with just 40m English fans.[/quote]And then you add back in all the English who have moved abroad, because emigration also exists, and you get closer to 50 million again.Now you can carry on being ever so slightly racist.[/quote]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]My answer is that a lot of people who have moved to this country will not particularly care about the World Cup.  I think that''s fair enough, personally.  When you look at the way that feral British youths will use the world cup as an excuse to behave like drunken morons and smash stuff up, I can''t say I blame them.Now, a question for you using Tebbit''s cricket test.  There are 3 million English ex-pats living in Spain.  Who do you think they will be supporting?[/quote]

[/quote]Yes.... I wonder how many "traditional" English support Amir Khan, and how many cheer for his opponents?http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jan/08/britishidentity.raceEnjoy!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes.... I wonder how many "traditional" English support Amir Khan, and how many cheer for his opponents?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jan/08/britishidentity.race

Enjoy!

[/quote]

Have another bullet to shoot yourself in the foot with;

The ONS said: "People from the white British group were more likely to describe their national identity as English, rather than British. However, the opposite was true of the non-white groups, who were far more likely to identify themselves as British.

"For example, two-thirds (67%) of Bangladeshis said they were British, while only 6% said they were English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish."

...and isn''t Khan''s little brother boxing for Pakistan?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

He said "in England"..

[/quote]My answer is that a lot of people who have moved to this country will not particularly care about the World Cup.  I think that''s fair enough, personally.  When you look at the way that feral British youths will use the world cup as an excuse to behave like drunken morons and smash stuff up, I can''t say I blame them.Now, a question for you using Tebbit''s cricket test.  There are 3 million English ex-pats living in Spain.  Who do you think they will be supporting?[/quote]

[/quote]Yes.... I wonder how many "traditional" English support Amir Khan, and how many cheer for his opponents?http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jan/08/britishidentity.raceEnjoy![/quote]

Have another bullet to shoot yourself in the foot with;

The ONS said: "People from the white British group were more likely to describe their national identity as English, rather than British. However, the opposite was true of the non-white groups, who were far more likely to identify themselves as British.

"For example, two-thirds (67%) of Bangladeshis said they were British, while only 6% said they were English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish."

...and isn''t Khan''s little brother boxing for Pakistan?

[/quote]I think such a high proportion of people saying they feel British is something to be pleased about.My question was about Amir Khan, not his brother.