Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Times when you felt most helpless as a NCFC fan

Mine was when I e-mailed Neil Doncaster after they''d appointed Bryan Gunn and his staff.

Doncaster told me that a good, solid NCFC backroom staff is just what was needed. I argued that he has gone completely the other way after sacking Glenn Roeder to then appointing a team complete with NCFC background, but ND didn''t agree.

I knew at the time that it would be a disaster, you could see it happening in front of you. Not one of those appointments remains at the club now, which is proof that it was proven a disaster.

I had driven at reckless speed back from a wedding in Canterbury to arrive at 2:45pm on the first day of this season, and ran to the ground to find a wonderful atmosphere with flags, canaries and general good humour.  Around eighteen minutes later, as I watched Michael Theoklitos take an age to line up his wall, only for the Colchester player to slam the ball into the middle of the goal, did I truly understand the cliche about joy turning to despair.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I had driven at reckless speed back from a wedding in Canterbury to arrive at 2:45pm on the first day of this season, and ran to the ground to find a wonderful atmosphere with flags, canaries and general good humour.  Around eighteen minutes later, as I watched Michael Theoklitos take an age to line up his wall, only for the Colchester player to slam the ball into the middle of the goal, did I truly understand the cliche about joy turning to despair.

[/quote]The only game I have ever left early, I lasted till 85 minutes.All seems like a horrible, horrible distant nightmare now lol.

The second half at Craven Cottage.  As the goals flew in past Greeno 3-4-5-6 we carried on pumping up the volume, all to no avail.  12th man my arse.

When O Neil left we went to Leicester and lost 3 - 2 after being in the lead. We missed our chance to return to the big time after being an established club in the top flight

In the season after our relegation from the prem we played Luton in the week and went 4-0 down, we did pull it back to 4-2 but then a few days later we lost 3-0 at QPR, was so depressing as if we had just beaten Fulham we would be playing the likes of Man u and Chelsea that season.

"Right... after the 4th goal, we f**k this off an go for a beer."

10 seconds later...

"Okay... 5th goal... we wait till the 5th goal and go for a beer."

At home to Colchester, 2009.

Sitting amongst Arse fans at the back of the South Stand (don''t know how that came to be) whilst they put 4 past us. Would have to look up the date but 80''s/90''s.

At Villa Park v Everton while events unfolded at Hillsborough.

When Coventry got us relegated way after the season should have ended.

The whole 90 of the first game of the season. Close 2nd would be away at fulham. Both games made me feel passionatly, yet knowing that I couldnt do anything. Col U game is the only match I have ever vented frustration for longer than a few mins (we all get it, apart from col u away match).However, the best feeling ever was col u away, I have never felt so relieved and happy at us kicking the backside of another team like that!

When D. Sutch  rolled that terrible penalty wide  at Cardiff.It suddenly dawned on me that the dream was well and truly deflated.However the greatest England striker ever Jimmy Greaves once said "If you aren''t good enough to win during 120 mins , then you are bad enough to lose on penalties.

When Coventry were allowed to play after the season had ended and beat Everton (reserves) to send us down.

Charlton Away in the FA cup. I had been in America for most of the year so had only seen the first two home games of the season. Came back knowing we were not doing well but with no idea quite how bad we were. Sat through 90 minutes of two awful teams playing awful football and it dawned on me quite how bad we were.

Leeds Away 95 when we were relegated and the scum started bricking us in the car park.

Play-off final as well, just felt sick

The Leeds away game for me in 1995 as well, but also Blackpool away last year in the pouring rain with the team putting in yet another inept performance under Gunn and him just standing there with his arms folded giving the players the impression they were doing OK.

When we appointed Roeder it made me feel like a turkey at Christmas, I knew what was coming but felt had no way of stopping it.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]The Leeds away game for me in 1995 as well, but also Blackpool away last year in the pouring rain with the team putting in yet another inept performance under Gunn and him just standing there with his arms folded giving the players the impression they were doing OK. When we appointed Roeder it made me feel like a turkey at Christmas, I knew what was coming but felt had no way of stopping it.[/quote]

This one for me too.  As it almost coincided with my 40th birthday I was in deep depression!

Following the end of the game at the Valley last season.

I didnt go but listened to the radio with a growing feeling of anger and frustration.

Then I listened to Chris Goreham interviewing DS & MWJ.

Usually I am quite critical of local radio , but on that day Goreham showed his true feelings and was obviously pretty angry at what he had seen and didnt hide it in his interview with the majority shareholders.

They obviously didnt have a clue what to do next and at that point , I thought there was no way back for us.

Fortunately they released their grip on the club, appointed McNally and Bowkett and the rest is history.

In my mind , if they hadnt made the changes we would have stumbled down to league 2.

Fulham and Charlton away obviously spring to mind straight away.

HOlding back the tears in a strange sort of way it was quite a defining moment when you realise how much this football club means to you.

I think the goodbye to iwan made us feel helpless too perhaps worthingtons first mistake as norwich manager as iwan had one more season in him and on that emotionally charged afternoon you just had to sit there helplessly and accept that would be the last time you saw the bigman in a norwich shirt.

Was good to see him at the civic reception though.

Well said harry, bet some of your friends from your old home town are happy right now!

They certainly are, especially the one''s who have just started supporting Blackpool.  [:P]

Sitting on a kerb in Cardiff, me and my mate both sat there with our heads in our hands staring at the floor when this 80 odd year old Birmingham fan came over and said "Sorry about that lads, it really should have been you going up. There''ll be plenty of good times for you lot I bet!"

That was pretty much the most helpless I''d ever felt as a City fan.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I had driven at reckless speed back from a wedding in Canterbury to arrive at 2:45pm on the first day of this season, and ran to the ground to find a wonderful atmosphere with flags, canaries and general good humour.  Around eighteen minutes later, as I watched Michael Theoklitos take an age to line up his wall, only for the Colchester player to slam the ball into the middle of the goal, did I truly understand the cliche about joy turning to despair.

[/quote]

Tut tut Mister C,reckless speed hey and what was that about amber gamblers on Grapes Hill?

Reading at Home 2009. After 60 minutes it was obvious we wouldn''t score if the match had lasted 2 days. Total despair.

Southend United at home, Boxing Day 2006. When we could even score against bottom of the league team, even with a man up. At that point I realised things were only going to get worse as a fan.

2006/2007 season, against West Brom away, last game before Roeder came in. Never have I seen a City player play as bad as Ian Murray did. Think it was his last game for the club as well. How we only got beat 2-0 is beyond me, we barely ventured out of our half all game.