Sign in to follow this  
Hog

David Stephens

I see that several sites are reporting that he is on his way back to Lincoln, I really hope this is just another loan as from what I have seen of him he looks a top prospect for the future and he certainly impressed during his recent loan spell......

http://www.sportsecho.co.uk/lincolncity/DAVID-TARGET/article-2180157-detail/article.html?

http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199305

Ive watched him play a few times, he has real potential and plays alot like the style of Rio Ferdinand. Great tackler and passes the ball very well, a real loss if he leaves.

I only saw him at the dartford friendly but agreed he looked very comfy on the ball. Plus i saw a clip of a Lincoln game ans he took the ball from his own 18yeard line all the way to the opposing goal and only just missed!

Hope this is only a loan.

Never seen the lad play live but surely it would make no sense to offload him permanently. We wouldn''t get any money for him, he won''t be much in terms of wages and if what everyone is saying is true he could develop into a good centre half. I did see his solo effort the other week, that was one hell of a run and shot. Would have been a late contender for goal of the season if that had gone in.

My son used to play with david at teh academy  and he is a very handy player - he can look after himself with his large frame .. was a central midfielder previously and was at herts county .. he has the potential to play for norwich - needs to be loaned out

I reckon a seaoson long loan could benefit everyone... Don''t want us selling him though, those youngsters are the future in my opinion...

"those youngsters are the future in my opinion..."

DUN DUN DUUUUURRRR!

Youngsters? The future? REVEL-FAKKING-LATION!

(sorry - couldn''t resist!)

Alot of talk about taking on players, wonder shot but how is his defending?

[quote user="First Jedi"]"those youngsters are the future in my opinion..." DUN DUN DUUUUURRRR! Youngsters? The future? REVEL-FAKKING-LATION! (sorry - couldn''t resist!)[/quote] I was specifically refering to Norwich''s youngsters bing the club''s future, as I believe in the future we''ll probably increase reliance on the younger players coming through, t least I think we should, look at the results its had this season.

Agreed Tangy. A season long loan would be to the benfit of both clubs and if the lad doesn''t develop as anticipated then we can sell him at that stage. Would be a shame to let him go like we did John fashanu and watch as his career develops and takes off.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I only saw him at the dartford friendly but agreed he looked very comfy on the ball. Plus i saw a clip of a Lincoln game ans he took the ball from his own 18yeard line all the way to the opposing goal and only just missed!

Hope this is only a loan.[/quote]

That''s a bit odd, I was at that game and I didn''t ever remember him coming on. I did a little internet search just to make sure I wasn''t going mad and according to the game report he didn''t get on.

"I was specifically refering to Norwich''s youngsters bing the club''s future, as I believe in the future we''ll probably increase reliance on the younger players coming through, t least I think we should, look at the results its had this season."

I know - totally agree with you! I was just being a dick... :)

The press article today suggests he is now less keen on a move to Lincoln (for which Norwich would receive compensation so, presumably, a permanent move) and is looking for  a move to a bigger club. I don''t understand this. Why do we invest in an academy if we are willing to release somebody with this potential so early in his career? As much as I was glad to see the signings of Dumic (now gone), Habergham (sadly struggling with injury), Dawkin & Francomb, David Stephens looked the pick of the bunch to me. What am I missing? 

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]The press article today suggests he is now less keen on a move to Lincoln (for which Norwich would receive compensation so, presumably, a permanent move) and is looking for  a move to a bigger club. I don''t understand this. Why do we invest in an academy if we are willing to release somebody with this potential so early in his career? As much as I was glad to see the signings of Dumic (now gone), Habergham (sadly struggling with injury), Dawkin & Francomb, David Stephens looked the pick of the bunch to me. What am I missing? [/quote]

I don''t think compensation presumably means a permanent move; it could mean a loan fee for Stephens or just a percentage of his wages are payable by Lincoln.

Also with young players it is sometimes best to cash in on them when they look a hot young prospect rather than release them if that prospect comes to nothing. It is down to the coaching staff to judge if they have hit a wall in their development or not. If we had of sold Ryan Jarvis when everyone was raving about how great a player he was going to be rather than holding onto him until his contract expired we would of been quids in.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I hope it is a season long loan, alon with Adeyemi, Rudd and maybe Daley.[/quote]

I agree, if they go to the right clubs they could come back like Martin did from Luton.