Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Goalkeeping dilemma...Forster or Lewis???

So which would you rather we do?, sign Forster on loan for another season and then in all probability be in exactly the same positon as we are now in 12 months time? Or re-sign Joe Lewis ,a Norwich fan who issued as clear a ''come & get me'' plea a few weeks ago as you''d ever get, on a permanant basis, and nail down the position once and for all for hopefully a good number of years?   If we don''t sign him this summer, someone else will and probably relatively cheaply given Peterborough''s status - plus we currently have the advantage of waiving the sell-on clause that we insisted on when selling him- a position we will never be in again with him!

As good a keeper as Forster is, I''m beginning to favour the Lewis route.

Definitely Forster for another season by which time Rudd and Steer will be ready. If we spend good money now on Lewis, what happens to those two in a years time? Can''t play them all.

Forster has to be the first target but if we don''t get him I''d be tempted by Lewis, I''ve always rated him and think he could be gppd for us but as has been raised what would happen a couple of years down the line?

Fraser Forster on loan any day of the week, Lewis is unbelievably over rated and would cost a small fortune, Roeder sold him because we had Rudd & Steer, why stunt their development?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Fraser Forster on loan any day of the week, Lewis is unbelievably over rated and would cost a small fortune, Roeder sold him because we had Rudd & Steer, why stunt their development?
[/quote]

one of roeders good moves, as well as signing hooly!

peterborough would want 1 million plus for lewis dunno why he even gets mentioned, that fee is over the top and your paying for potential something will already have in the GK department

is basso still at bristol city top keeper and on a free time i heard, don''t think lewis is the way to go, why not paddy kenny if he don''t end up signing for qpr

[quote user="I am a Banana"]LEWIS HAS made far to many mistakes this season. I think i would rather lucas flappy-hand-ski from arsenal![/quote] Have yo actually seen him play this season? I mean away from the football league show and various highlights? The defnders infront of him have been terrible, he''s had to make save after save for that club this season and it shows if you look, he''s got one of the highest saves to shots ratios in the league and if he main reason why Peterborough were not further humiliated. He has made a few mistakes, but he''s also made more stunning saves... Better than Westwood, Carson, Harper and Grant who I''ve also seen play this season

It''s a completely academic question because there is no way Lewis will be coming here!

Peterborough will want big money for him, and, whatever money we do have to spend, we are not going to spend it all on a position where alternatives might be a lot cheaper.

Besides, Lewis will get offers from middling Prem clubs, indeed, some like Tottenham, Sunderland, Villa etc might even show interest.

[quote user="Cowley"]peterborough would want 1 million plus for lewis dunno why he even gets mentioned, that fee is over the top and your paying for potential something will already have in the GK department[/quote]

I think P''bro would accept less than that but crucially as previously stated, we have a sell-on clause written into contract ,which from memory is very high - 40%?, obviously if we are the buying club, that would get knocked down.

Is Rudd bettr now than Lewis at the same age?, will Rudd become better than Lewis in the future??, I''m not sure.

Forster season long loan, no question, but it would be interesting if we could get Lewis to sign in January if we are looking like we will avoid the drop. if we are looking like not reaching the playoffs then put lewis in goal.

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]I cant believe someone asked this question, hardly a tough choice really ![/quote]

depends if you understand what is being asked?. Two good young goalkeepers,Forster''s probably the better at the moment, but we will NEVER own him, the other, we could if we were to act now.

Forster for me on a season-long loan as he was great for us last season and has proven that he can play with our first team. Lewis has also said that he wants to stay with Peterborough anyway.

Personally when i saw Rudd play last season i thought he looked very good especially considering his age, and surely bringing Lewis back would cause a mojor problem in Rudds future development. If we cant get the first choice of Forster on loan, then i''d prefer a more experienced keeper with Rudd playing out on loan with the view to being number one in a season or two''s time.

Lewis was sold because he fell out with Roeder

the night after he came back from his loan at morcambe he got drunk with his mates

he was so hungover that he couldnt make the bench on the next day - so Roeder got rid of him as a `trouble maker`

Tom1902 people like you make me so angry you believe every little story out there... The truth is he played for morecambe on the saturday was do back in norwich on the monday so morecambe fc wanted to say thank you... At 5.30 that evening after winning man of the match again roeder called him back, he got straight in his car and drove back to norwich... He had the flu the next day that''s why he was not on the bench... With regards to a bad season I wouldn''t agree... Considering he was the busiest keeper in the league he was bound to make a mistake or 2... As someone else pointed out he saved them from embarrassment more times than not...he was man of the match when spurs beat them 4 nil... He also won all 4 player of the year awards so he couldn''t have done that bad... Rant over don''t get me wrong its a tough choice but don''t believe everything you read on this site...

[quote user="I am a Banana"]LEWIS HAS made far to many mistakes this season. I think i would rather lucas flappy-hand-ski from arsenal![/quote]You spent a lot of time watching posh did you? I know the boy well, and he himself (whilst admitting one or two clangers) was quite pleased with his overall performances. Now thats fact and not schoolboy opinion.

Forster will be "free", and give Rudd another year to gain experience.

Would we have to pay for Lewis, and if so how much? We might have him for two years, but most people feel that Rudd is a better prospect.

[quote user="tom1902"]Lewis was sold because he fell out with Roeder

the night after he came back from his loan at morcambe he got drunk with his mates

he was so hungover that he couldnt make the bench on the next day - so Roeder got rid of him as a `trouble maker`[/quote]You are a liar.

I wonder if this discussion has anymore relevence now the Forster deal seems to have hit something of a ''impasse''.   Whereas last week finances may have blocked a bid for Lewis, the signing of Surman has surely proved that we must have some money to spend ?

We have not seen Lewis in the same capacity as we have seen Forster. Hard to judge, I would be very happy with both.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I wonder if this discussion has anymore relevence now the Forster deal seems to have hit something of a ''impasse''.   Whereas last week finances may have blocked a bid for Lewis, the signing of Surman has surely proved that we must have some money to spend ?[/quote]We won''t know about Forster until after July 1, according to Hughton. So I don''t think it''s hit an impasse we know the deal, he''ll decide in pre-season.