Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

We've signed Crofts!

Our fans have obviously got carried away with winning a league slightly higher than pub standard , as for the god Lambert lets wait till he has actually achieved something , Gunn would have got us out of that division.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]5 goals in 44 games [:O][/quote]

Thats two more than Russell managed in the same role in a far more successful team!!!

Brighton fans seem to like him. Worth a shot i suppose.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Our fans have obviously got carried away with winning a league slightly higher than pub standard , as for the god Lambert lets wait till he has actually achieved something , Gunn would have got us out of that division.
[/quote]

Which is why Leeds were able to turn Man United over on their own patch. I agree the quality of the league isn''t amazing but its better than you it credit for

[quote user="Ncfc"]Wow you seem a right prick .
[/quote]

And you seem a narrow minded, judgemental, self satisfied buffoon.  I too prefer Lambert''s opinion to yours as unlike you or I, he knows something about Crofts and something about City''s lineup for next season.

Just an aside - has it occurred to anyone theat Crofts might be the replacement for Gill?  An upgrade for the squad and not the lynchpin of the entire team?

Can''t believe some of you lot. They guy hasn''t even signed yet.

Anyway, football is a TEAM game and it''s the best TEAM that wins things. Individual players are only part of a whole.

I''d rather have hungry players like this than more of the bunch of lazy useless ex-Prem players Roeder signed on loan.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

And you seem a narrow minded, judgemental, self satisfied buffoon.  I too prefer Lambert''s opinion to yours as unlike you or I, he knows something about Crofts and something about City''s lineup for next season.

Just an aside - has it occurred to anyone theat Crofts might be the replacement for Gill?  An upgrade for the squad and not the lynchpin of the entire team?

[/quote]

CC, you''re forgetting a basic forum rule. New signings are by definition crap/overrated/ a waste of money/a sign of limited ambition. This kneejerk response will then be taken as proven after the player''s first two minute cameo sub appearance.

Lets be honest here, the people saying hes an ok signing are probably the same bunch that reckoned Gunn''s signings were ok last season and he was the man for the job , some people just settle for whatever crap they are given .

Certainly a competent and combatitive player in League 1 but hardly an exciting signing for a team supposedly aiming at the play-offs, especially if it does mean Rusty and/or Gill leaving, IMO. Lambert''s recruiting record is mixed so far with Forster and Johnson on the plus side, R. Martin doing OK in League 1, and Rose and Elliot on the disappointing side. Time will tell, I suppose, but this prospect leaves me underenthused.

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Seems a useful player at League 1 level, Captian & player of the season at Brighton this season, gets stuck in and scores a few goals. I''m not sure who some of you expect us to sign on a limited budget?[/quote] Limited budget we were told we were budgeting for the top 6 , not with signings like this we wont.[/quote]Do the Maths, we''re only getting an additional couple of million £ a year through promotion, I''m pretty sure this season our budget was more than we could actually afford on our revenue so there is no way the club will be going out spending big money on players.Get real!!

I can''t undertstand why so many people seem to assume we will finish in the top 6 next season or at least be challenging for a top 6 place.  What the heck do you base this on?[:^)]

You need quality, or you will struggle.  Heaven forbid if we did finish in the top 6 and went up via the playoffs.  I think we could be looking at some kind of points record in the Premiership[;)]

look the days of us signing anyone for a transfer fee with any sort of big reputation are gone, this guy is coming to the peak of his career and has something to prove at this level. i''d much rather have this guy than say sign james harper on a free transfer who is on the back end of his career which is now going downwards

Some people really are clueless.

We need to build a squad, he may (if he signs) turn out to be cover for Russell.

In his defence he is a steady player and im not suprised he didnt go noticed against us. At home we played like Barcelona and away, it was a scrappy game that we won late on.

A question to you all. Apart from the obvious (Lambert/Bailey/Snodgrass/Sam/Barnard/Paynter/Rhodes/Austin/Abdou) who really did stand out against us this year?

This guy got POTS at Brighton so cant be too bad.,yet on other threads people are wanting Makindawire (spl) who arguably did less against us that this guy did!

Oh incidentally Brighton finished way above Orient too.....

[quote user="Cowley"]look the days of us signing anyone for a transfer fee with any sort of big reputation are gone, this guy is coming to the peak of his career and has something to prove at this level. i''d much rather have this guy than say sign james harper on a free transfer who is on the back end of his career which is now going downwards[/quote]

James Harpers only 29. Maybe he has something top prove after a poor year? Remember Huckerby hardly came here riding the crest of a wave did he? Neither did big Iwan!

He has just been withdrawn from the Wales squad due to an "impending transfer"

" Is he good enough to replace Rusty, good enough for Championship?"

Remind us where Forster was plying his trade before he can here ......... on loan at Stockport and Bristol Rovers

And Chris Martin who had been at lowly Luton for a year, Korey Smith who hadn''t even played first team football

Or remind us of your experience at this level and that of Lambert

You can''t make a silk purse out of a sow''s ear.

Let''s just hope we add some proven quality at Championship level to the squad before the season starts.  It would be foolhardy in the extreme to enter the season with a squad virtually full of untested players at Championship level.

[/quote]

And with that well thought out reply you''ve won me over; you''re right, Lambert knows nothing - I''m right behind you Oscar [:D][:D] let''s start slagging off players before they even kick a ball for us [:D] 

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

You can''t make a silk purse out of a sow''s ear.

[/quote]

But you can make a pretty good lining for it (stop all your coins damaging the silk).

[quote user="Ncfc"]Our fans have obviously got carried away with winning a league slightly higher than pub standard , as for the god Lambert lets wait till he has actually achieved something , Gunn would have got us out of that division.
[/quote]

Unless you are Mystic Meg yourself you can''t possibly say that.  Lambert has achieved something, he''s got us promoted at first asking, that''s quite an achievement, ask scummy Leeds

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Lets be honest here, the people saying hes an ok signing are probably the same bunch that reckoned Gunn''s signings were ok last season and he was the man for the job , some people just settle for whatever crap they are given .[/quote]Some of them were ok.  Some of them were total bobbins.  Nobody has a 100% record on decent transfers.Some people understand that they have no impact on transfers.  Other people just moan themselves into oblivion.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Seems a useful player at League 1 level, Captian & player of the season at Brighton this season, gets stuck in and scores a few goals. I''m not sure who some of you expect us to sign on a limited budget?[/quote] Limited budget we were told we were budgeting for the top 6 , not with signings like this we wont.[/quote]Do the Maths, we''re only getting an additional couple of million £ a year through promotion, I''m pretty sure this season our budget was more than we could actually afford on our revenue so there is no way the club will be going out spending big money on players.Get real!![/quote]I think we''re getting closer to 5 million additional income just from the tv money amd then we will gain more money from extra sponsorship and more away fans than we had in league 1, he may turn out to be a good player for us but he certainly doesn''t have the wow factor.

[quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]

http://northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=175445

Brighton Fans opinions on him. Doesn''t make for too favourable viewing.[/quote]So I suppose this large list of quotes from your link, about how important a player he is etc, are irrelevant???

"Crofts is pivotal to the midfield""People on this board fail to see what crofts does off the ball how bloody hard he works to stop the opposition playing football. If crofts leaves we will miss him, I promise you that, Gus knows midfielders and he rates crofts the best at the club.""Crofts was superb this year - not sure why any fan would think anyone else currently in our midfield would be a better alternative. Must keep if we have ambitions to be a promotion side next season""Fucking shit. This would be a disaster.""A modest fee? That''s a joke. Who wrote this crap? He is player of the season and our captain. If Norwich want him they''ll have to pay top dollar but really hope he stays.""Crofts is an ultra consistent 6.5 - 7/10 man who has been a good signing, a good captain for us and I hope he stays.""I think Andrew Crofts would quite easily meet the rise in standard if he played in the Championship, and Norwich City would be a good move for him.""If Crofts goes we will miss his workrate, he is the engine of the midfield and we miss him when he''s not there. It''s like when people used to slag off Dean Hammond for not doing anything, then as soon as he goes the midfield starts getting overrun, the same will happen if we lose Crofts and don''t replace him." "I thought Crofts was a vital component of the team last season - he may be a consistent 6 or 7 out of 10 player but by being so he allows other players more freedom such as Bennett. Selling him would be a huge risk " "Crofts is your classic ''don''t miss them until they''ve gone'' type player" "If we lose Crofts, any chance we had of challenging next season will decrease dramatically." "Crofts is the one player, maybe one of two if you include Bennett, that we cannot afford to lose this summer. He is absolutely pivotal to our team, which revolves around him, whether some people notice it or not.""I rate Dicker and Navarro (and Hendrie for that matter) very highly but one thing that Croft''s has that the other two don''t is a real steely determination, worth ethic and to be honest a bit of sharpness in the middle of the park in terms of closing people down etc.We don''t have another option that gets about the park as well as Crofts and, although Navarro is primarily the man to break up play, Crofts contribution to that in terms of hassling players can''t be underestimated.""He is by far and way the most complete midfield player at the club. Navarro breaks up the play and gives the easy ball, Dicker does the same but has a slightly more attacking mindset, Hendrie (if we are including him) is good on the ball and can create for other players. I rate those three highly but Crofts does all of the above and much more.He covers the most ground, puts in the most tackles, is brilliant in the air, gets into goalscoring positions, SCORES goals, leads by example, is consistent, and has a superb work and team ethic. Every club needs a player like Crofts and if you think he will be easily replaced then you are wrong.""Crofts has been an integral part to our team this season and fully deserved his award for player of the year. He IS our best midfielder and could quite feasibly ply his trade in the Championship.He is an engine, a driving force and one of the fittest players I have ever seen. He never stops running, he is strong and most notably he is a great asset from throw ins as he is always without fail making runs, shielding the ball and passing wide so we can break. I can''t really see Norwich coming in for him and even if they did, he is a pretty loyal and respectable bloke.He was made captain for a reason and he spent the best part of I think 8 years! at Gillingham and that takes some loyalty. Every team needs a Crofts, he will be vital to the team getting promoted next season.""I''d be very sorry to see him go. He''s our captain and both the players and staff rave about his attitude and commitment to the club. I think the people on here who would be happy to see him leave for a decent fee, don''t actually realise what he does for the team, both on and off the ball. He would be sorely missed, and it would be very similar to when Hammond left, we had a gaping hole in our midfield. ""i think there is some duff opinion circulating about crofts not being championship standard. i know a gillingham fan who assures me he was immense for them in the championship for two seasons, then management changed and his form etc took a big dip. loaned out, free, us. he isn''t an unknown quantity at championship level, and of course with us he can be seen to have hit form once more. for my two cents i echoe those saying it would be detrimental to lose him. he is our captain, he ruffles feathers, demands the ball, plays it, and pops up with a crucial goal or three.""If you watch the game he is involved in nearly all of the short passing triangles that we play in Midfield, links up really well with both wings, and demands the ball all of the time. Can tackle (i am not sure how many bookings he has had this season but it is not many) and I think one of the few games he missed was Hartlepool away when we demonstrated how poor we are without him. ""The most important player at the club would be unthinkable to lose him"

If you don''t think that''s favourable opinion I have to question your sanity.

Being fair however, there is also some other feedback on there about him being good but nothing special and some who doubt if he''s CCC standard, and that''s fine, I''m willing to trust PL''s judgment on this, along with the wealth of opinion from fans who truly rate the guy...

[quote user="Ncfc"]Does Lambert know we got promoted , Crofts released by Gillingham last season is hardly the quality we are going to need at Championship level.
[/quote]

If i had lamberts number mate,i would tell him to check with you on a future targets as you obviously know who can make  astep up and who cant!!..

[quote user="Ncfc"]Our fans have obviously got carried away with winning a league slightly higher than pub standard , as for the god Lambert lets wait till he has actually achieved something , Gunn would have got us out of that division.[/quote]

Bob, is that you?

"the club isn''t swimming in money "

Neither are most others in this league. The difference is we don''t have crippling debts that we cannot meet. Palace and Preston are only the start. One or two others wil be hitting the wall this summer as they try to offload players in a bid to reduce their wage bill.

The one lesson we should have learnt by now is that spending alone is not the answer. It is the attitude of the players, led and driven by the manager. I have seen many players over the years that have been far, far better than many who were wearing a City shirt this season. But i can tell you I have not seen so many times that those supposedly ''lesser'' players dug ot a win ora draw from a lost cause.

That''s what wins games. That''s what wins titles and that''s what wins over fans. The bloke sounds like a good acquisition. Another captain, so another leader - something I think Mr Roy has been going on about recently.

As to ''the best we can afford'' is not perhaps the right way of looking at things. There seemed no real shortage of funds last season despite us losing nearly £3m in TV rights and paying on Gunn and others.

For those of you who were at Charlton and Fulham on the last days of the season you''ll well know the importance of having players who want to fight and want to win. We''ve got a manager who believes in that, maybe he''s the manager who will find the palyers who feel the same, irrespective of the unknown budget.

[quote user="now youre gotta believe us....."] Players generally get slagged off when they leave, especially if its a move to a bigger club! I trust Lamberts judgement, we have to get real the club isn''t swimming in money so we need to get the best we can afford![/quote]

Chris Brown when he went to Preston.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

"i think there is some duff opinion circulating about crofts not being championship standard. i know a gillingham fan who assures me he was immense for them in the championship for two seasons, then management changed and his form etc took a big dip. loaned out, free, us. he isn''t an unknown quantity at championship level, and of course with us he can be seen to have hit form once more. for my two cents i echoe those saying it would be detrimental to lose him. he is our captain, he ruffles feathers, demands the ball, plays it, and pops up with a crucial goal or three."

[/quote]

Good post Indy Bones.

In Lambert we trust!