Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

We've signed Crofts!

[quote user="City1st"]"the club isn''t swimming in money " Neither are most others in this league. The difference is we don''t have crippling debts that we cannot meet. Palace and Preston are only the start. One or two others wil be hitting the wall this summer as they try to offload players in a bid to reduce their wage bill. The one lesson we should have learnt by now is that spending alone is not the answer. It is the attitude of the players, led and driven by the manager. I have seen many players over the years that have been far, far better than many who were wearing a City shirt this season. But i can tell you I have not seen so many times that those supposedly ''lesser'' players dug ot a win ora draw from a lost cause. That''s what wins games. That''s what wins titles and that''s what wins over fans. The bloke sounds like a good acquisition. Another captain, so another leader - something I think Mr Roy has been going on about recently. As to ''the best we can afford'' is not perhaps the right way of looking at things. There seemed no real shortage of funds last season despite us losing nearly £3m in TV rights and paying on Gunn and others. For those of you who were at Charlton and Fulham on the last days of the season you''ll well know the importance of having players who want to fight and want to win. We''ve got a manager who believes in that, maybe he''s the manager who will find the palyers who feel the same, irrespective of the unknown budget.[/quote]

Cracking post. [Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Regardless of what people say, I trust Lamberts judgement, welcome Andrew.[Y][/quote][Y]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="City1st"]"the club isn''t swimming in money " Neither are most others in this league. The difference is we don''t have crippling debts that we cannot meet. Palace and Preston are only the start. One or two others wil be hitting the wall this summer as they try to offload players in a bid to reduce their wage bill. The one lesson we should have learnt by now is that spending alone is not the answer. It is the attitude of the players, led and driven by the manager. I have seen many players over the years that have been far, far better than many who were wearing a City shirt this season. But i can tell you I have not seen so many times that those supposedly ''lesser'' players dug ot a win ora draw from a lost cause. That''s what wins games. That''s what wins titles and that''s what wins over fans. The bloke sounds like a good acquisition. Another captain, so another leader - something I think Mr Roy has been going on about recently. As to ''the best we can afford'' is not perhaps the right way of looking at things. There seemed no real shortage of funds last season despite us losing nearly £3m in TV rights and paying on Gunn and others. For those of you who were at Charlton and Fulham on the last days of the season you''ll well know the importance of having players who want to fight and want to win. We''ve got a manager who believes in that, maybe he''s the manager who will find the palyers who feel the same, irrespective of the unknown budget.[/quote]

Cracking post. [Y]

[/quote]

Absolutely right. The teams that achieve are the ones with players who will give everything for the badge and the Manager.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I won''t believe this until it''s officially confirmed.

[/quote]

What cost or signing? Because the signings been confirmed.

[quote user="freddyf105"]Cost £350,000 apparantly...[/quote]

I don''t know if that Â£350k you''ve said takes into account signing fees and whatever else but the fee we''re paying to Brighton is less than that.

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t know if that Â£350k you''ve said takes into account signing fees and whatever else but the fee we''re paying to Brighton is less than that.

[/quote]

Yh I think the initial fee is 300k, at least that''s the rumours on the brighton forums.

[quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yh I think the initial fee is 300k, at least that''s the rumours on the brighton forums.

[/quote]

Still not that much.

More I read about him, and the more I think about this the better it feels. I''m going to be honest I had no idea who he was, but he sounds like exactly what we need and have missed over the past couple of seasons (hope he is more Gary Holt and Niel Emblen though!). Also you can''t help but feel it''s curtains for Gills, OTJ and probably means that Russell probably isn''t going to re-sign for us.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Regardless of what people say, I trust Lamberts judgement, welcome Andrew.[Y][/quote]

Well said mate and welcome to NCFC Andrew

[quote user="Fellas"]More I read about him, and the more I think about this the better it feels. I''m going to be honest I had no idea who he was, but he sounds like exactly what we need and have missed over the past couple of seasons (hope he is more Gary Holt and Niel Emblen though!). Also you can''t help but feel it''s curtains for Gills, OTJ and probably means that Russell probably isn''t going to re-sign for us.
[/quote]

We can''t lose all three or we would be very short in midfield wouldn''t we.

I think Russell will stay, Gill swap for Phillips (although I hope he stays) and OTJ to Yeovil.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Great stuff. The lack of ambition bodes well for us at least.[/quote]Love it.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Dont know much about him.. But Blackpool and Leicester have showed this season the virtues of a solid, consistent team. Crofts sounds like the sort of player who might not be individually great, but plays well in a team; which is surely what matters.Either way, as always will reserve judgement until hes actually played for us.[/quote]Some fantastic comments on this thread. Always worrying going through old threads to see what rubbish I have written, luckily this time I wasnt far off!

[quote user="Ncfc"]Does Lambert know we got promoted , Crofts released by Gillingham last season is hardly the quality we are going to need at Championship level.[/quote]Wow.  I''ll never ask you to pick my Lottery numbers that''s for sure.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Ncfc"]Does Lambert know we got promoted , Crofts released by Gillingham last season is hardly the quality we are going to need at Championship level.[/quote]Wow.  I''ll never ask you to pick my Lottery numbers that''s for sure.[/quote]Egg on faceEpic fail

[quote user="Ncfc"]Our fans have obviously got carried away with winning a league slightly higher than pub standard , as for the god Lambert lets wait till he has actually achieved something , Gunn would have got us out of that division.[/quote]This is my personal favourite

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

is this the standard of player we really need if we''re going to do anything in the championship??

(thought I''d get in first with that comment)

[/quote]With hindsight, yes.

I remember really well when we signed Crofts, I was on holidays sitting in a bar in the Canaries run by a City fan (I know you couldn''t make it up) when it scrolled along the breaking news bar on SSN and I thought Andrew who, shows what I know..............legend.

Freebie City or whatever their called makes me laugh. Not only is he doubting the Crofts signing also thinking Grant Holt won''t do it at Championship level.

Well done whoever brought this back up.

Made me laugh.

My thanks too, as it gives some perspective on those fans who write players off before they''ve even kicked a ball. I''m just hoping that Wilbraham and Jackson can silence their critics as well. I thought both played well on Saturday but lacked decent service they could capitalise on.