Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Most Underated player in squad?

Russell Martin for me.

Keep Reading that people ain''t convinced by him but he has not let us down, rarely gets skinned, covers the 2 centre backs impeccably abd attacks well.

All this without a right midfielder in front of him!

Or even who can sing out of the saturdays....

Tough one, taking an assumption you take out the ''top 5'' for POTS; hoolahan, forster, holt, doherty, smiththen perhaps Chris Martin? perhaps not as noticeable due to him appearing to do nothing for 80mins but he''s quite honestly one of the best finishes we''ve had in recent years, I always like to see strikers score goals low and hard into the bottom corners because it shows natural talent, precision and real eye for goal (which funny as it may seem I don''t think Holt has as much of)Then you have Drury, instantly when you see his name on the team-sheet it fills you with confidence, rare for a full-back

Between Lappin - gives team shape and drive in midfield that is missing when he is out of the side - and R Martin who gets on with his job in an unspectacular way yet has given us the very defensive security that Ots eroded.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Russell Martin for me. Keep Reading that people ain''t convinced by him but he has not let us down, rarely gets skinned, covers the 2 centre backs impeccably abd attacks well. All this without a right midfielder in front of him![/quote]

You obviously didn''t go to Orient then.  After the first few games I thought Russell Martin was a decent aquisition although I did question why Peterborough let him go.  He sort of drifted a bit from then on, and against Orient he had an absolute shocker and was by far the worst player on the pitch.  I''m not sure it is a coincidence that we haven''t seen him since.

Most underated for me has to be Adam Drury, we missed him hugely when he was not in the team.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

You obviously didn''t go to Orient then.  After the first few games I thought Russell Martin was a decent aquisition although I did question why Peterborough let him go.  He sort of drifted a bit from then on, and against Orient he had an absolute shocker and was by far the worst player on the pitch. 

****I''m not sure it is a coincidence that we haven''t seen him since.****

[/quote]

...you mean apart from when he played in the team that won and gained promoted at Charlton?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ncfcstar"]

You obviously didn''t go to Orient then.  After the first few games I thought Russell Martin was a decent aquisition although I did question why Peterborough let him go.  He sort of drifted a bit from then on, and against Orient he had an absolute shocker and was by far the worst player on the pitch. 

[/quote]

...you mean apart from when he played in the team that won and gained promoted at Charlton?

[/quote]

My mistake, I thought Spillane played instead, which he did, forgot Martin was pushed up.  Still my point stands, he was terrible at Orient.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="ncfcstar"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My mistake, I thought Spillane played instead, which he did, forgot Martin was pushed up.  Still my point stands, he was terrible at Orient.

[/quote]

So he might have been but he''s had far more good games than bad

When did he join? Around November time, I think. He''s very much been part of the excellent form that has seen us win the league in style.

Clearly the managers first choice at right back.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Russell Martin for me. Keep Reading that people ain''t convinced by him but he has not let us down, rarely gets skinned, covers the 2 centre backs impeccably abd attacks well. All this without a right midfielder in front of him![/quote]

You obviously didn''t go to Orient then.  After the first few games I thought Russell Martin was a decent aquisition although I did question why Peterborough let him go.  He sort of drifted a bit from then on, and against Orient he had an absolute shocker and was by far the worst player on the pitch.  I''m not sure it is a coincidence that we haven''t seen him since.

Most underated for me has to be Adam Drury, we missed him hugely when he was not in the team.

[/quote]Yes i was at Orient and im still trying to think of a player that played well. That was our worst performance under PL. No way can you single Martin out in that game.Can you think of another game where Martin has been that bad?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Between Lappin - gives team shape and drive in midfield that is missing when he is out of the side - and R Martin who gets on with his job in an unspectacular way yet has given us the very defensive security that Ots eroded.

[/quote]

I have always rated Lappin but I began to realise what good balance he has given us all season the left when he came on against Gillingham. We immeadiatley looked more comfortable with him in the side. Hopefully the King of Spain can cap it off with a goal tomorrow.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I have always rated Lappin but I began to realise what good balance he has given us all season the left when he came on against Gillingham. We immeadiatley looked more comfortable with him in the side. Hopefully the King of Spain can cap it off with a goal tomorrow.

[/quote]A point i''ve been making all season when people have demanded he should be dropped, he may not be the best player but in the diamond we need a left sided player prepared to graft in the 3 man midfield.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="ncfcstar"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But then he didn''t play in his natural position. He played on the right of midfielde so we had defensive cover on each wing. Spillane had a superb game that day and Martin did not do much!!!

Yeah but he did play though. The suggestion was that he had played so poorly at Orient he had been left out since. Clearly not the case.

I wasn''t at the game but the reports have been mixed on who had the better game out of Spillane and Martin.

For me it''s between Adam Drury who will go down in our history as one of our best and most consistent performers and a loyal and throughly nice bloke too. A great role model for boys now playing and hoping to aspire to play for our club one day.

Also don''t think Darrel Russell really gets the praise he deserves, he''s not really one of my favourites but he''s kept the back four safe from conceding on many occasions this season.

What has been emphasised though across the whole season is the transformation of our squad into a team who work for each other and this has undoubtedly been one of the main reasons we won the league.

Nelson for me....He ain''t the most gifted or cultured footballer, but he''s another Malky in the making.....Committed, strong and dedicated to the cause.....and a nice chap too.

Whether or not he plays a large part in our challenge in the Championship next season remains to be seen....

But I think Paul Lambert is pleased with Micky Nelson...and with his progress over the remainder of the season.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

[/quote]

I went to Orient.  The worst player on the pitch was Nelson.  He gave them 2 goals on a plate.

Drury or Lappin for me. I know Drury has had a few injurys, but he certainly is our best full back in my opinion. Lets also not forget that he won player of the year in 2003, got named as captain for the next season, and at the end of the season lifted the Championship trophy.Just about everyone seems to think that Lappin shouldn''t play just because he hasn''t scored any goals this season. I know he hasn''t scored but he''s got a lot of assists to his name and is very good with crosses. It is nice to be able to score from set-pieces isn''t it?

Either Martin for me.

Some of the best players of the game are those that get on with their job without any fuss, yes Russell Martin has had a couple of off games, but he''s not the only one and most of those mentioned so far have also had a couple of stinkers, including Drury.

Chris Martin for me has been immense this season, think about what he went through last year with Roeder, farmed out to Luton without even being given a chance with no possibility of a recall (as Gunn tried). This season he has worked his socks off and yes he also had a couple of stinkers but if you actually looked at him during those games he looked physically tired, about the point when Lambert rested him!

My final nomination would be Lappin, week in, week out he does the stuff that gets no plaudits, gets his foot in, gets the ball down and looks to play, allowing the likes of Wes and Korey to do what they do best