Sign in to follow this  
olster

Dean Ashton

Sorry if i have missed a similar post

but has anyone else heard we have got him on a pre contract?

for 1.7m?

when i saw this i thought ''here we go again''.....

but if that is half true i am very excited - for january or for the end of the season. i would have thought if we were to get him it would be at the end of the season for around 3million,he''s scoring more and more, and we would be able to spend that sort of money if we stay up(one would hope!)

hope not. He''s no better than svensson/ Leon etc.He''s a good 1st Division striker, no more

Yeah and Kevin Keegan was a good second division striker for Southend until Liverpool bought him !!!!!!

I''m sorry but Worthy has been down this road before. Hucks is only here because he lost out on Lee, Connolly, Taylor, King & Hulse (Up for transfer and who is supposedly better than Ashton). Francis is only here because he missed out on O''Connor (Up for transfer). Of the 2m+ he spent in the summer only Charlton is currently playing. Worthy''s transfer record is appalling and I cannot see the board letting him spend 1.7m on a striker who has never played in the Prem. I would be gutted if they spent that amount Ashton.

[quote]Yeah and Kevin Keegan was a good second division striker for Southend until Liverpool bought him !!!!!![/quote]

Navyman. 

I think you mean Scunthorpe under the late, Canary great Ron Ashman (rather than Southend).

OTBC.

keegan was at scunthorpe

i think the point is that buying Ashton would be a risk but maybe one worth taking.
personally i''d prefer Helguson if we''re going to ''invest'' in a div1 striker coz Ashton is over-priced

HI sstrike rate is good and he plays well for the England U21s so has bags of potential. I hope this is tre but am not confident and the fact that he has been regularly scouted for by other prem clubs with more cash but rejected does concern me a bit.

But from what I have seen he would be a sensible buy if the price is good.

OTBC

Like Zipper, I''m a big Ashton fan. You''re way off Big A - he will become a far better player than Svensson and i feel sure he can make the step up even quicker than Leon, who is still learning.

[quote]hope not. He''s no better than svensson/ Leon etc.He''s a good 1st Division striker, no more[/quote]

When did Leon or Sven score that many goals in that many games in the championship? he would be a good buy and someone that could add to our team. hope they go for it

Sorry but we NEED a target man and a mixer who will throw himself at a brick wall if it means sticking the ball in the net. In short, we need a 28 year old Iwan Roberts! In case people haven''t realised, we''re not good enough to stay in this league by playing pretty passing football - only the top few are good enough for that. We need to be able to play a passing game and we also need to be able to play a good long ball game. Just look at Bolton. Despite popular opinion Charlton often play long and score with target men from set pieces, just like Bolton. Birmingham also. At the moment, when we play long, we lose posession and it''s back to firefighting in defence. We haven''t got anyone who can effectively collect a big punt down the field hold off the attentions of the opposition players for a few seconds and feed the onrushing Leon, Hux, Damo or Jonson. That''s what Iwan did so well.  The final dimension that is missing from our game, is a decent target man - Dean Ashton is that man!