Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Bowkets Programme Notes

I thought these were very interesting. He stated that we will have a budget to compete as a topic 6 club which is very encouraging and somewhat of a pleasant surprise. Yesterdays performance was poor in the extreme and i do think we have at least 6 to 8 squad members who will find it very hard in the championship.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Does anybody else think that the directors have found some extra cash from somewhere? [8-)][/quote]Yeah, I do.Probably more hope than anything though.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Does anybody else think that the directors have found some extra cash from somewhere? [8-)][/quote]Either way we''re probably in for another summer of wild speculation and EDP Exclusives (including an interview with Captain Canary and an update from Doris the Tea Lady on the growing crisis with the tea bags).

I know we are in debt but so are most clubs and some are in a far worse position than us, difference is we probably have a higher turnover than most of the clubs we will be competing against next season so I would be disappointed if we couldn''t compete with the top six in terms of budget. Problem is that many of our fans seem to take for granted and accept that we don''t have any money when in reality we should expect to be able to compete with most clubs in the championship and regularly challenge the top six. I know the championship is tougher than league 1 but as long as you have a group of committed players with 3 or 4 of them that posess a bit of quality you have a realistic chance of making the play offs or better.

[quote user="City penguin"]its good news, but even when we got relegated im sure i read that our playing budget was similar of wolves who went up.[/quote]I think our wages budget may have been the same but the difference was that they also had an additional amount that was avaliable to spend on transfer fees, they spent a couple of million quid on Ewbanks Blake from Plymouth which equated to far more for one player than we spent in total.

yeah fair enough but still our budget was a lot bigger than nearly all of the teams that season, my point was its not how much its how well you spend.

[quote user="City penguin"]yeah fair enough but still our budget was a lot bigger than nearly all of the teams that season, my point was its not how much its how well you spend.[/quote]I think it''s a comination of both tbh, if you have a good manager with money to spend you would almost definitely be in the shake up for promotion. If you have a good manager with very little money you will overachieve and may possibly make the play offs as Blackpool have done this year.Generally the teams with the most money will finish top as Newcastle and West Brom proved and although there will always be exceptions that''s the way it works most of the time, don''t particularly like it but that''s the way it is and unless we have found a bit of money from somewhere I think the most we can reasonably expect is to do a Blackpool next year which I''d be more than happy with.

We''ve always had more money than we''re led to believe - indeed last season, I''d say Roeder thought the club wouldn''t be able to sack him cause they couldn''t afford to!

Half of our well publicised debt is a long term loan taken out when we built the Jarold stand which the club are able to repay back OK and is very different to a person with a mortgage. Its like saying that a person with £100,000 left to pay on his/her mortgage is £100,000 in debt!

I do find it amusing when certain fans are making out the Championship is such a wonderful superior Division that we''ll struggle to compete in. We got relegated last season through bad decision making at board level more than the fact the championship was such a great Division and also I think this seasons squad would of more than held their own in it. Yes while their no guarantees but I think if we replace 3-4 of the deadwood with Championship quality players then I see no reason why we can''t have good go at getting in the top 6.

We''ll still be one of bigger clubs in the championship, still be getting 24,000+ crowds more than most others in the Championship, have the same board, same football management, most of this years squad who''ve won this Division by 9 clear points+ new additions so I see no reason why we can''t do well!

The question was raised on another thread of whether we had - in common with virtually all the other League One and League Two clubs - voted against the new Premier League proposals for parachute payments. Judging by the strong antipathy in Bowkett''s notes to the proposals it would seem highly likely we did reject them.