According to today''s Sun, Burnley want Nigel Worthington as their manager. How ironic given that it was a 4-1 home defeat by the Clarets that led to his sacking by City four years ago.

He''s a good manager and deserves success.Too many people are quick to forget the good times we had under him.

[quote user="RonDavies"]Agreed but he probably stayed a season too long and it is a great shame his achievements have been clouded by what happened at the end[/quote]Yeah, but thats usually how things end unfortunately. Hindsight really is a wonderful thing!

I agree, but he wouldn''t be saddled with that prize tw*t Doncaster at Burnley. And if he hadn''t here, we will never know.

Hear hear. Let''s not forget Worthy achieved some great things with us. Like many jobs, he should have moved on before he actually left. I felt he''d taken us as far as he could which should not be a poor reflection on his managerial abilities prior to that final season.

Nooooooooo Nigel. Dont do it!!!!! We need Laws there to squander what chance they have of going straight back up again.

People forget what he achieved from inheriting a very-average side from Hamilton, within 12 months we we were at Cardiff and 2 years later promoted as Champions without really spending a great deal but for Huckerby.

That is all very true Trent.

However, people also forget that he froze once we were promoted and was both tactically inept and unable to inspire players once he got to the Prem.   He stumbled on his best team by default ten matches from the end of the season and almost made it.

His handling of relegation and its aftermath was just embarrassing and from Fulham till the end of his tenure he was a failure.

History shows that Worthy is a good jobbing manager who did very well on limited resources in a broken club but lacked the flair for the top level and the confidence and control to bounce back after relegation.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

However, people also forget that he froze once we were promoted and was both tactically inept and unable to inspire players once he got to the Prem.   He stumbled on his best team by default ten matches from the end of the season and almost made it.

His handling of relegation and its aftermath was just embarrassing and from Fulham till the end of his tenure he was a failure.

History shows that Worthy is a good jobbing manager who did very well on limited resources in a broken club but lacked the flair for the top level and the confidence and control to bounce back after relegation.

[/quote]

SLATING WORTHY!?

I''m gonna tell nutless...he''ll come and sort you out - with his little cutlass! Be afraid....be very afraid!

Worthy first earned the plaudits and then earned the brickbats.

In both cases he got what he deserved.

But he was good enough for long enough to deserve another chance somewhere, and I hope he''s given it.

Too much of a nice chap for his own good in the cut-throat world of professional football? Maybe.

Good luck to him.

OTBC

[quote user="morty"]He''s a good manager and deserves success.

Too many people are quick to forget the good times we had under him.
[/quote]

Good grief if Nutty Nigel spots this the thread will turn into 20 pages and 250 posts.Morty what have you gone and done?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

SLATING WORTHY!?

I''m gonna tell nutless...he''ll come and sort you out - with his little cutlass! Be afraid....be very afraid!

[/quote]

Looks like Monday evening is bog cleaning night else he would have been all over this thread like measles.

Just one post Tilly - Was wondering what Worthy ever did to get more abuse from fans than Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Doncaster combined.

Where did all the hatred come from and why?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Would be a very good appfor vurnelu!![/quote]

Dont they appear in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers? 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Just one post Tilly - Was wondering what Worthy ever did to get more abuse from fans than Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Doncaster combined.

[/quote]

Maybe it was a way that the CE and the board at the time - could deflect the heat away from them and their failings?

They were pretty damn good at it...

[/quote]

Hatred is a very provocative word Nutty and as far as this messageboard is concerned most people have moved on in relation to the other people you have named but it you who does not turn the lights out and close the door on the Worthington reign.First it was a witch hunt and now hatred.Oh dear just get over it mate.

[/quote]

I would think that, if true (I''m never sure of this business of ''hate/hatred in football), it was because the time between ''throwing away'' relative success and ''heading for the third division'' was long enough for feelings to build up. Remembering, of course, that this also covered a period of premiership level income and parachute payments.

The fans took out their resentment of what was occurring on the manager rather than target the administration & owners. But then they mostly do don''t they at most clubs. Football is a ruthlessly results based business these days.

OTBC

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Would be a very good appfor vurnelu!![/quote]

Dont they appear in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers? 

[/quote]

No, I think he''s talking about Vanuatu in the South Pacific which would be in the Oceanic group with the likes of Australia, I imagine.

Unzip a banana and what do you find?

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Hatred is a very provocative word Nutty and as far as this messageboard is concerned most people have moved on in relation to the other people you have named but it you who does not turn the lights out and close the door on the Worthington reign.First it was a witch hunt and now hatred.Oh dear just get over it mate.

[/quote]

You''re determined to make me comment on this thread.

It was hatred and you know it. But to keep you happy I''ll rephrase my point.

I don''t understand why there wasn''t one single organised protest, sticker, march, web site or petition to get shot of Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn or Doncaster but we had them all to get shot of Worthy.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Worthy first earned the plaudits and then earned the brickbats.

In both cases he got what he deserved.

But he was good enough for long enough to deserve another chance somewhere, and I hope he''s given it.

Too much of a nice chap for his own good in the cut-throat world of professional football? Maybe.

Good luck to him.

OTBC

[/quote]Definitely not, did you read Iwan Roberts book? Worthy used to go mental apparently.

[quote user="RonDavies"]Agreed but he probably stayed a season too long and it is a great shame his achievements have been clouded by what happened at the end[/quote]I totally disagree, since Worthy left this club has got worse and worse and ultimately got relegated, I don''t believe we would have been relegated if Worthy had stayed longer

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t understand why there wasn''t one single organised protest, sticker, march, web site or petition to get shot of Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn or Doncaster but we had them all to get shot of Worthy.

[/quote]

Simple answer - in the cases you list those geezers (ND apart I agree) either quickly fell on their sword or were kicked out.

Worthy clung on stubbornly in the face of rising criticism and appalling performances on the field. The whole saga should have been dealt with immediately after the Wolves game at the end of the 05/06 season but the board totally wimped out and Worthy staggered on for 6 more months.

I totally acknowledge the success he brought us but the previous poster was right in that the boy Worthy did''nt have a clue about how to deal with the Premiership season. ''Rabbit in headlights'' springs to mind!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I rest my case about turning the lights out and closing the door.Your broad brush approach with regard to the othere named is a bit rich as some people as you well know saw the St Andrews Hall meeting in May 2009 as a Bryan Gunn witch hunt to use your favourite expression and obviously you have not got a Hamilton out coffee mug unlike me and hundreds of others.Then there was the barracking Roeder got at the AGM from the audience.Was Worthy ever subjected to that?

Nutty as i said ....... for God''s sake move on.

Worth is not hated - what people struggle with is the sense of missed opportunity

1   We should have avoided relegation with the good squad he asssembled in the prem season - sadly the winter had passed before he realised how to put the jigsaw together

2   Once relegated he could not re-work his magic and get us repromoted when needed - at the first time of asking - again probably having to much faith in the squad he had and purchasing too few duds to strengthen.

3   The board failed to recognise that a change was due - nothing to do wth Worthy,  simply managers have a tenure,  his time was past and he would not step down.  That left the crowd bitter.

Roeder is rightly far more hated than Worthy;  while Hamilton gunn and grant are all simply recognised for what they are - completely incompetent.  No campaign was neeeded to remove them as they were easily identifiable as the problem.  

The issue seems to centre around blind faith.  

Worthy suffered in the prem,m and once relegated,  in over trusting his preferred players - he turned to them during the disasterous winter of 04/05  before giving the new faces a go against Manure - one throw of the dice too late - and then trusted existing squads to gain promotion when it was patently clear that strengthening on core positions was required.  NO club is good enough with just the additiion of Lee Croft to turn you into promotion candidates - that belief was arrogant in the extreme.   The protests were not against Worthy - but at a board that shared his appetite for blind faith - just in the manager not the players,  they fiddled while our club burned.

This reasons for this are deep and psychological and rest with a certain section of the City support. Worthington''s record, as Nutty, suggests is pretty good for a club at this level. Ultimately it is this that draws much of the abuse as he raised expectations beyond that he could sustain. This fed into a certain sense of entitlement that some fans feel that City have and the personal inadequency that is required to project feelings of status onto the success of a football team. Stir into this heady mix the habits of protest from the "Chase outers" and it was an accident waiting to happen.

Sad thing is that reading this board indicates that some are ready to go at it again should next year not be successful.