Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

For all those who say we should drop the diamond

How then are we going get the best out of Wes.

Yes, we may need to drop the diamond - but also must get the best out of Wes. Playing a straight 4-4-2 with wes as a winger would be a disaster.

So what are the real options?

Funny that numpty Shyster never brought it up again after claiming we''d struggle in the winter months, only be proved completely wrong.

Drop Hoolahan is the best way,against Carlisle the diamond did not work at all whenever the ball was played out to Drury or R.Martin they had no one in front of then to pass to ie no width which the game was crying out for......this is against Carlisle!!!!!!! next year in the Championship teams will soon work out this limited system and how to stop the one footed midget as they did very easily in our relegation year....Hoolahan is way over rated

How about a 5-3-2 which could switch to a 3-5-2 when attacking. This of course puts the onus on having 2 attack minded full/wing backs.

The diamond does not work without Holt (or another targetman). Surely people can see he is just as vital as little Wes is?

[quote user="DontPanic"]Drop Hoolahan is the best way,against Carlisle the diamond did not work at all whenever the ball was played out to Drury or R.Martin they had no one in front of then to pass to ie no width which the game was crying out for......this is against Carlisle!!!!!!! next year in the Championship teams will soon work out this limited system and how to stop the one footed midget as they did very easily in our relegation year....Hoolahan is way over rated[/quote]

The diamond didn''t work but Wes was the best player on the pitch playing the tip of the diamond. I say we give it a chance next season, but a 4-2-1-3 Hoolahan in the behind the three up front and Russel and another CDM playing behind Hoolahan with 2 of the 3 up front being wingers putting in balls for Holt and potentially the wing could be a good position for Martin being able to use both feet and being able to cut in and shoot extremely well. At the end of the day I am sure Lambert will get it right.

Nah, it''ll be horses for courses next year.  Expect away from home we''ll revert to 4-5-1 with Wes relatively free in the middle and with Chris Martin playing deeper and wider.  At home a combination of Diamond and 4-4-2.

The diamond at home, 4-4-1-1 away from home, with Hoolahan in behind one of Martin/Holt/new boy.

I think a lot will depend on who we are playing and the form of the players we have.

To me Hoolahan was one of the underperformers on Saturday - he took it past players fine but often turned for the sake of turning which actually reduced the choices of pass he could make, in addition to this when he did have passes to make he often chose the wrong one or simply passed it to the opposition.

I think that against teams with astute managers we will face a 4-5-1 and see the midfield drowned. Hoolahan is no good in a midfield battle and against 5 midfielders he will be drawn into it and become less of the attacking threat. I think its more likely that he will play a Huckerby type role down the left or right.

Or even play as the second striker at times with Martin out wide. Sort of similar to the way McVeigh used to play for us.