Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Football League hammers another nail into the coffin

Is it really all Skys fault?, the assumption appears to be that they decide how the money they pay for the rights to broadcast Premiership games is spent, however surely the FA have a lot to answer for in not letting the millions they recieve from Sky benefit the lower leagues. On another point I am aginst capping players wages, I suggest a more sensible approach would be rules around the amount of money teams spend on players being linked to a percentage of their annual turnover, to encourage ALL teams to live within their means rather than running up huge debts.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]Just said on Late Kick Off that we will make £4.8M from this next season.[/quote]

There is no doubt it is a lot of money and its a valid point Mustachio. However I think that the injection of money actually doesnt make that much difference and if anything we''re slightly worse off (mainly because it makes promotion a lot harder). My reasoning is as follows

1. Every other side in the division is also recieving this money. Will this just mean it effectively all gets swallowed by increased wages as teams attempt to outbid each other for players. Meanwhile players can demand more because they know clubs have this money.

2. The relegated sides from the Premier League are guranteed to receive an awful lot more money than the rest of the division over a prolonged period. There is no doubt these clubs will be able to blow others out of the water for players. Thus our chances of gaining promotion have decreased dramatically.

3. It also has the potential to create a massive gulf between league 1 and the championship because of the relative spending power of clubs. Thus if Norwich were to fall through the trap door again (I expect Lambert to do well but since 1995 our record in the second isn''t great with the exception of 3 years under Worthy) of what to all intents and purpose is the ''Premier League Mk II'' then it would be hard to compete once we got back up.

Wondering what people think about that?

It seems to have sneaked in under the radar, but also involved in this deal was a change in the rules about making it easier for big clubs to steal our young players.

Just as our Chairman was saying that we hope to nurture more young talent thought the academy.

the premier league is allegedly the best league in the world?

is it though? its more a league contested by 4 teams, a money making cash coo, this doesnt happen in La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga or anywhere else. all the premier league is is a marketing campaign with some football added on as a bonus.

A Phoenix league needs to be set up in the next 5-10 years or there will be just 1 division in this country.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the premier league is allegedly the best league in the world?

is it though? its more a league contested by 4 teams, a money making cash coo, this doesnt happen in La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga or anywhere else. all the premier league is is a marketing campaign with some football added on as a bonus.

A Phoenix league needs to be set up in the next 5-10 years or there will be just 1 division in this country.

[/quote] No it''s one of the most boring leagues and the fact that only 4 teams have ever won it shows how predictable it is. As others have said Football needs the so called top 4 to leave then we may have an entertaining open league again. I couldn''t think of anything more boring than supporting a stable Prem team just there to make up the numbers.

This is all the work of that odious individual Scudamore who is single handedly continuing the wrecking of our game on the pretence of acting in the best interests of the premier league clubs. You can bet your bottom dollar that he was egged on by the likes of Gartside and the chairman of every other tinpot prem club who fears they might get relegated at some point soon. I commented on this about a month ago when the proposals first emerged and appeared to sneak under the radar of most fans. It appears people are now waking up to what it might mean in practice. The football league clubs initially rejected this but have obvioulsy had their hands forced by the threat of the champ clubs breaking away.

A very sad day.

I do agree with everyone... Question though... Have more relegated teams gone straight back up to the Prem since the parachute payments were introduced? I will check later. If they have I imagine it will only get worse, but if it don''t generally make much difference - just I can think of more teams who haven''t bounced back than can. So would it change now?

It''s a disgrace, and pretty much every club has voted for whatever they think is best for them. The Championship clubs have shafted leagues 1 & 2 (thankfully we''re out!) and the premiership clubs have negotiated no relegation through the back door. As for them going bust if relegated without the prachute payments, cobblers, they could have contracts that reflect the drop in revenue. It''s very poor and is yet another nail in the coffin of a fantastic structure of 92 competitive clubs.

I don''t have Sky. Apart from it being over priced it has wrecked football. Relegation and promotion needs to realistic prospects for all the teams in the Leagues, it''s part and parcel of football. You need a competitive league system to make grass roots football work.

We talk about being back in the Premiership but if we were in the Premiership what would we realistically look forward to? An odd game here or there where we beat the big teams? It is not a competitive league anymore.

They want a second tier Premiership, well get on with it because the sooner this all goes tits up the sooner we could get back to people with some balls running the Football league.

It is such a shame that the Premiership have such a hold over the rest of the leagues. They are also looking at changing the format for how youngsters can be brought cheaper by the big clubs.

Just another thought is that players and agents will know that the clubs will be getting the larger payments so will just demand higher paying contracts, and so it goes on. :-(

This season has been a reminder that there is more to football than the Premiership. Our last outing in the top flight had little to be desired. Sadly we missed the boat when we dropped out of the Premiership when it was still finding it''s power and at present I can see our position changing much.

I will have my little protest against Sky by not watching it and the Premiership by not click the links on the BBC and Sky pages. Not going to make bugger all difference but I live in hope that if the other leagues gained higher audiences then then would regain some power.