Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Football League hammers another nail into the coffin

They''ve just accepted the parachute payments and additional funding. A big shame - but with the incredible pressure put on them to accept, hardly a surprise.

They had us by the jacobs, if we had refused the deal we would have got nothing.

[quote user="morty"]They had us by the jacobs, if we had refused the deal we would have got nothing.

[/quote]

ah.. i get it now... so you work for the football league. Well that explains alot.

[quote user="jew"]

[quote user="morty"]They had us by the jacobs, if we had refused the deal we would have got nothing.

[/quote]

ah.. i get it now... so you work for the football league. Well that explains alot.

[/quote]Does it?Please expand and grace us all with your wisdom.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jew"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Does it?

Please expand and grace us all with your wisdom.

[:)]
[/quote]

No. I wouldnt want to cramp your style

[quote user="jew"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jew"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Does it?Please expand and grace us all with your wisdom.[:)][/quote]

No. I wouldnt want to cramp your style

[/quote]Thanks for your input.[Y]

[/quote]

Indeed Morty. I predicted in a thread earlier today that this was exactly what would happen. In reality a lot of clubs like Oldham who are struggling through low crowds needed the solidarity payments. Hence to have been left with nothing would have been a disaster. As a result the Premier League was always going to win this one. To be honest today just confirmed for certain that all the power within the game now rests firmly within the Premier League where the money is. The Football League is now a bit of a joke as it cant be seen as having equally standing. They have been completely bullied at the negotiating table and the Premier League didn''t have to give an inch. In 1992 we along with other clubs helped to create a monster and sadly now it is completely out of control and no one can stop it. Unrealistic salaries and transfer fees will continue to be the norm now as Premier League clubs no they have big parachute payments to fall back on. I bet Gold and Sullivan couldn''t wipe the smiles of their faces as they left that meeting. W******

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

Indeed Morty. I predicted in a thread earlier today that this was exactly what would happen. In reality a lot of clubs like Oldham who are struggling through low crowds needed the solidarity payments. Hence to have been left with nothing would have been a disaster. As a result the Premier League was always going to win this one. To be honest today just confirmed for certain that all the power within the game now rests firmly within the Premier League where the money is. The Football League is now a bit of a joke as it cant be seen as having equally standing. They have been completely bullied at the negotiating table and the Premier League didn''t have to give an inch. In 1992 we along with other clubs helped to create a monster and sadly now it is completely out of control and no one can stop it. Unrealistic salaries and transfer fees will continue to be the norm now as Premier League clubs no they have big parachute payments to fall back on. I bet Gold and Sullivan couldn''t wipe the smiles of their faces as they left that meeting. W******

[/quote]It is allegedly a better deal for all concerned, though I have to admit I haven''t read the finer points. The increased term of the parachute payments will please the yoyo clubs like West Brom, but I suppose in real terms, would any such clubs take the full 4 years to get back up? Apparently the rest of the clubs in the Championship get a bigger share of the TV money, but without knowing exact figures I don''t know if this is a good deal or not.It will, unfortunately, always be about the haves and the have nots.

It''s all so daft.  The money involved is getting sillier with each passing season.  We can only hope the bubble will burst one day - it''ll take a whole load of clubs with it, of course, but if it helps to restore some sort of sanity within the game it might be the best thing that could happen.

[quote user="Henry"]Really starting to despise the Premier League [8o|]
[/quote]

agree! the Premier league is know as ''football'' the championship etc is known as grass roots!! [:@]

Here you go, morty [:)]Figures from BBC Sport :In the championship :

parachute clubs : 12 million per season for 4 seasons.

non-parachute clubs : 2.2 million per season (plus I assume a divvying up between all 24 of any parachute money unused). 

League One : 325 k - gap between normal championship and league one - £ 1.9 million per year.

League Two : 250 k. - gap between League one and Two - £ 75 K.

Southampton and Charlton had better get out of league one quick.

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting. No more promotion to the Premiership then for clubs without parachute payments. They''ve effectively just abolished relegation from the top-flight.

Why the hell have we allowed them to do it? Traitors!

Bring in handicapping now!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Here you go, morty [:)]Figures from BBC Sport :In the championship :

non-parachute clubs : 2.2 million per season (plus I assume a divvying up between all 24 of any parachute money unused). 

League One : 325 k - gap between normal championship and league one - £ 1.9 million per year.

[/quote]i Think that could be split much more fairly...... i reckon its around £60-80 million (probably more if you add up all the parachute payments....but £60-80 is the minimum...), that could simpley be £1 million per team, and then share the rest around equally...Why do the premireship drop-outs get loads more money, they probably get as much as the bottom half of the premireship teams do....

IMO the sooner the "Top Teams" all bugger off and form a European League and take all the overpaid foreign Players and Managers with them the better, it will leave us with proper English Leagues that won''t have "Sky Money" to spoil it.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Here you go, morty [:)]Figures from BBC Sport :In the championship :

[/quote]Good work!Would be interesting to know what does happen to the rest of the money earmarked for parachute payments if it isn''t paid, ie if the club goes straight back up. Divvying would be the fair way but I''d suspect it would just get absorbed elsewhere.

[quote]Why do the premireship drop-outs get loads more money,[/quote]Because being relegated from the Premiership would cause them to go bust if they didn''t get the parachute payments.  Or that''s the argument, anyway.

At the moment it''s split between all championship teams, I know this because we will be benefiting from Newcastle and West Brom going up at the first time of asking.  I''d imagine that would be the same for the 4 year cycle, which could mean that after a couple of seasons with yo-yo teams at the top of the championship, that the average championship club pay-out could be 3-4 million.Compare this to 800k for the current deal, and you can see why championship clubs would back it.  It will cause non-parachute clubs to push themselves into further debt to gain relegation and get into the 4 year yo-yo cycle though, and will more than likely result in yet more clubs in administration, as 18 want to try, and only 3 can go up.

In agreement with Harry.

It will also mean that (unless in exceptional one-off circumstances) only teams relegated from the Premiership will have the funds to get back up therefore creating a mini league within the Championship - effectively Premiership 2 by stealth.

The sooner it all goes tits up and parity is restored the better.

This makes it even more important that we get promoted to the premiership asap, the longer we stay in the chumpionship the longer teams that come down are going to finish above us!

Anyone moaning about this that has Sky is basically a hypocrite. It is YOUR subscription money that has destroyed the game. If you feel that strongly cancel and give those reasons, if enough people did that they would take notice though that amount would need some organising from all non Prem club fans.

No Sky Sports in my house - what games I have seen this season have seen have been distinctly mediocre.

Yes I know there have been some very good games. But Burnley, Hull, Blackburn, Bolton and the likes do not excite me.

[quote user="Harry"]IMO the sooner the "Top Teams" all bugger off and form a European League and take all the overpaid foreign Players and Managers with them the better, it will leave us with proper English Leagues that won''t have "Sky Money" to spoil it. [/quote][Y] What he said [Y]Plus it would mean we could pay less attention to the glory hunters.

When it comes to the parachute payments and teams returning to the premiership first time of asking the championship only get one teams payments. The rest is shared amongst the teams in the premiership.

Haven''t next seasons parachute payments for WBA and Newcastle been given to the Premiership teams this time, instead? I imagine we''ll see more of that, with the amount rising so massively.

Sad day for English football, either way, and as someone else has already said, it''s effectively just creating Premier League 2 in everything but name.

As for Sky, i''ve done my bit! Managed to get 20 months free when i first moved into my latest house, and have never handed them a penny. Your turn, PUPs. ;-) 

"Why do the premireship drop-outs get loads more money"

To continue paying the contracts negoitated with players (agents) when they were in the Premiership.

The agent''s fees are simply a conduit for syphoning money out of the game. Money that is then further dispersed to numerous ''interested'' parties. Sadly there won''t be any change or even a cursory look at what''s going on as the gravy is too big and too fast.

As to the Premiership I''m not so sure as to wether Monday night games against Wigan, Bolton or Fulham are really what it is all about - nor, I doubt, will offer the same amount of anticipation and excitement as did the Tues night games against Orient, Brighton and Southend. Nor would the quality of the football be any better either I suspect.

We now have more money than ever coming into the domestic game yet more clubs are in almost absolute dire circumstances. But then, what the heck. Mickey Mouse is at large and running the next distraction. the world cup. So called because it has obscure countries making up the numbers - rather than the best qualified teams. Mind you, idiotic countries that probably don''t have a national debt the size of the debt of two of the relegated clubs from this year''s Premiership.

We''re doomed, doomed I tell ya

Being selfish, thank God City escaped, but its totally unfair and unjust on all League 1 & 2 clubs.

Damn Sky to hell, the real villians imo [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/whack.gif[/img]