Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

world cup provisional squad announced

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Capello asked Carragher to join the squad - Capello makes the decision on who to take. Not Carragher.[/quote]

Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a shit season at Anfield.

[/quote]

The fact Capello has had to ask Carragher to return angers me. If Carragher wanted to play he should have brought himself out of International retirement (announced he would be open to any call up) when Capello took charge, not just when he was convinced he would be part of Fabio''s plans.

Pen fold.

Banana, you''re taking one right-back, five wingers and five strikers? Looks a little forward heavy to me...

One of Michael Carrick and Tom Huddlestone has to go we need the creative option.

Scott Parker isn''t really a defensive midfielder, he does his best work driving forwards. Really, he''s Lampard''s understudy.

IAAB

I wouldn''t take lampard, or ferdinand, or james, just for a start. Only their ''names'' get them in that squad. Gerrard is a better player than lampard but to play them both in the same team stops england being at their best. Ashley young would go on the left wing for me with walcott/SWP on the right wing but capello will play a right footed player on the left and a right footed player on the right (gerrard) and this weakens  the team in 2 places!!

p.s. i know A.young is right footed but he is a left winger and is our best option. (if gareth bale was english... [;)])

So Capello isn''t allowed to pick players based on their current form, and also based on what they can bring to the squad?

The seven to miss out?
For me its going to be King, Warnock,Dawson, Huddlestone, Barry, Wright-Phillips and Heskey 

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

England''s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

I didn''t think the squad was ''that'' bad to be fair.

[/quote]

Capello will do what he feels best. If he felt paul scholes was the top midfeilder for england then im sure he would have asked him. Im slightly suprised that there is no paul robinson on that list though. James has had a poor season and robinson deserves his place ahead of him.

Not sure about Carragher''s motives but he improves the squad so must go.If Rio Ferdinand or John Terry pick up an injury who would you rather come in for a big game, King/Carragher or Upson/Lescott? England don''t play every 3 days and King has shown he doesn''t need to train to perform in a game this season for Spurs.Gareth Barry is struggling to make the World Cup so that explains the Huddlestone & Parker call ups, Capello will prefer Huddlestones passing range to Parker I believe.

anyone on ere really take interest in the international side of football - as i  dont.

can you answer this please.

Can mr capello take players who are not on this list to the world cup or does he have to pick 23 players from these 30? thanks [:D]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Not sure about Carragher''s motives but he improves the squad so must go.
If Rio Ferdinand or John Terry pick up an injury who would you rather come in for a big game, King/Carragher or Upson/Lescott? England don''t play every 3 days and King has shown he doesn''t need to train to perform in a game this season for Spurs.

Gareth Barry is struggling to make the World Cup so that explains the Huddlestone & Parker call ups, Capello will prefer Huddlestones passing range to Parker I believe.

[/quote]

and huddlestones goals [;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

anyone on ere really take interest in the international side of football - as i  dont.

can you answer this please.

Can mr capello take players who are not on this list to the world cup or does he have to pick 23 players from these 30? thanks [:D]

[/quote]

I''m 99.9% certain that baring some freak tragedy all others who felt they might be in with a shout but didn''t get picked can boo their summer holidays.

I think there are a few little battles through-out the squad for some places.

Out of Carragher, King and Dawson one will go. King has to prove he can stay fit for more than two weeks.

Out of Joe Cole and Adam Johnson, one will go. Johnson will have to prove he isn''t just a form player over the more experienced Cole.

Out of Parker, Huddlestone, Carrick and Barry, two will go. Barry will have to prove fitness and Carrick will have to prove he can overturn his ropey form of late, I would imagine Parker is slightly ahead of Huddlestone, but it''s very tight.

Lennon, SWP and Walcott are fighting it out for two places. I think SWP will miss out as Capello is a big fan of Walcott.

Bent and Heskey are up against each other for one place. I reckon Heskey is just ahead of Bent in this, Heskey''s main strength it that he plays the second striker role very well and makes Rooney a better player.

Players can definitely be added to this list, in general to replace injured players though.
The main area where this would come into effect would be if one of the goalkeepers suffered an injury

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

England''s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

I didn''t think the squad was ''that'' bad to be fair.

[/quote]

Interesting.. Suprised Ashey Youngs not in there.. Would prefer him to Lennon. I think Huddlestone will struggle to make the final 23. I really hope Adam Johnson gets in as he offers us something different to the one-dimensional Lennon SWP and Walcott. The most telling thing from this squad is how poor our forwards are these days. We really need Rooney to carry our frontline

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Capello also asked Carragher to join the squad before the qualifying campaign. Carragher just didn''t fancy the trips to Belarus and Kazakhstan. How does this make him a worthy team player?[/quote]

Completely agree!! He doesnt have the right to represent us in the world cup, besides he''s s**t anyway!!

"He doesnt have the right to represent us in the world cup"

He does - as the manager picked him, and he wants to play... that''s kinda how it works.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"He doesnt have the right to represent us in the world cup" He does - as the manager picked him, and he wants to play... that''s kinda how it works.[/quote]

Agree entirely. He is the best back up with we have Johnson at full back with the possible exception of Jagielka. His inclusion also means we effectively have another centre back so we can take Ledley King who can fill in for either Terry or Ferdinand in a big game if needed.

If you were applying this logic Walcott would be a shoe in for the world cup because of a hat trick against Croatia back in 2008. His form has been very patchy since then. Thus you couldn''t justify his inclusion.

With all this talk of right-backs the man who should be ashamed is Micah Richards. He should have been world class by now, but instead has fallen off the face of football. BIG TIME CHARLIE.

It''s all about the bling with these youngsters.

You are right! Richards was fantastic at right-back for a time - should, as you say, be amazing...

He was a centre-back, by trade.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"He doesnt have the right to represent us in the world cup" He does - as the manager picked him, and he wants to play... that''s kinda how it works.[/quote]

Putting aside the issue of whether he has the right to play for us or not I''m more concerned about the fact he hasn''t earned his place in the squad beacuse he''s been garbage this season (and arguably last).

Ashley Young hasn;t had as good a season as 08/09, been found out a little bit, plus hasn;t Downing been playing left midfield most of the season? Young is behind Lennon and Theo for the right midfield.

Robinson has had a solid season and probably should''ve gone as 3rd choice, Green has to go and Hart is a future number 1/2 for the next 10 years.

Dissapointed hes resorted to Carra. Hes had a poor season by his standards. He''ll give 100% but hes getting slower.

Think Fab will take all 5 strikers, despite Heskeys poor goal scoring record, Rooney loves playing with him, Crouch and Defoe are different options, Bent certainly deserves to play 90mins in one of the friendlys before being chopped if he is chopped.

Very releived Hargreaves didn''t make it, the guys only played 30 mins football in thelast 18 months. I like Parker but think there are too many similar players ahead of him. Carrick is out of form and out of favour at club so cant really go but he did play well in the last friendly.

Warnock, SWP, Dawson, Joe Cole, Parker, Upson and Carrick would be the players to miss out if i were gaffer.

"Putting aside the issue of whether he has the right to play for us or not I''m more concerned about the fact he hasn''t earned his place in the squad beacuse he''s been garbage this season (and arguably last)."

Now there you have a point...! I think its down to experience and versatility, without being too old or Gary Neville.

I thought it was a shame Zamora missed out - has been pretty good for Fulham this season.

Thought that Barry was an injury concern, so might miss out - do we really need/want to take players who are carrying injuries (Rooney excepted)?

At least there isn''t a completely leftfield pick, like Theo was last time - I still see that as a huge mistake.

Zamora ruled himself out, he needs an operation. At least he''s been honest with himself and with Capello, many wouldn''t have.

Macdougall`s perm wrote "Not that concerned about England"

Well i am!!! I will wear my England shirt with pride all through the tourny,and will feel the pain if we lose and feel the exhilaration when we win!

By the way, while on holiday recently,i met some french guys who supported lyon..I asked them what they think their chances are in the world cup and they all said stuff like "dont care" or "we are not bothered,probably lose out at the group stage" So i asked them "aint you getting excited about the world cup finals coming up?" And most just shrugged their shoulders and made that noise through their nose,and 1 said "If we get through to the semi finals or final then wee" (i did put him right about his answer there,and told him he meant yes not wee)

But they had no pride in their national side!....You aint french macdougalls perm are you?

I feel sorry for Carragher.

Whenever we had a meaningful game, Terry and Ferdinand would get the nod.

Whenever we had a meaningless friendly, and they experimented and he was seen as too experienced.

He was been dragged over Europe to sit on a bench in obscure countries, when he has a young family back home. A dont blame him one bit for getting balled off with it.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Capello asked Carragher to join the squad - Capello makes the decision on who to take. Not Carragher.[/quote]

Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a shit season at Anfield.

[/quote]Carragher turned his back on England cos he was constantly either picked as ''squad player'' or played out of postion at full back. I believe that he was frustrated with Ericcson and then Maclaren constantly picking Campbell, Ferdinand and Terry ahead of him despite him being constantly (from about 2003 - 2008 anyway) the best English centre half in the Prem. I say well done to Capello for persuading him back, for my money he is much better than Upson, Dawson or King. Apperently he tried to persuade Scoles to come back too. My only criticism of this squad is that I''d have picked Gary Neville too - Johnson just makes me nervous defensively.