Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

world cup provisional squad announced

Has everyone seen the provisional squad? Anyone a little surprised with a few inclusions?

Jamie Carragher, what a selfish b*stard!
No prepared to help his country get to the World Cup, but more than willing to shaft someone who has helped them get there. If he genuinely cared for his country he would have returned when Capello took charge, not on the brink of a World Cup. He is merely putting himself in the shop window for when the new Liverpool manager wants rid.

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Jamie Carragher, what a selfish b*stard!No prepared to help his country get to the World Cup, but more than willing to shaft someone who has helped them get there. If he genuinely cared for his country he would have returned when Capello took charge, not on the brink of a World Cup. He is merely putting himself in the shop window for when the new Liverpool manager wants rid. [/quote]To be fair you don''t actually know if that is the case.

Can''t believe there is no Chrissy Martin, Drury or Forster!!!!!!!!

Obviously Holty would have made it, if fit!

Holt would have been in if he was fit, it''s a shame really.

Can''t believe Delia was overlooked, apparently she''s a big presence in the changing rooms...

England''s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

I didn''t think the squad was ''that'' bad to be fair.

Capello also asked Carragher to join the squad before the qualifying campaign. Carragher just didn''t fancy the trips to Belarus and Kazakhstan. How does this make him a worthy team player?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="West Ham Canary"]Jamie Carragher, what a selfish b*stard!
No prepared to help his country get to the World Cup, but more than willing to shaft someone who has helped them get there. If he genuinely cared for his country he would have returned when Capello took charge, not on the brink of a World Cup. He is merely putting himself in the shop window for when the new Liverpool manager wants rid.

[/quote]

To be fair you don''t actually know if that is the case.
[/quote]

Agreed, and i dont think we''ll ever know but it stinks a little to me. Heskey is the big ? for me. Struggled all season albeit in a pretty good Villa team but i can''t see the point. Carragher is ageing a bit IMO but not sure if thats a bad thing. Adam Johnson is one for the future but cant see him making the 23.

Not that I''m really too concerned about England (compared with City) but I think that forward line is missing is a player of Ashton''s ilk - pity he had to retire so early in my opinion.  

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="West Ham Canary"]Jamie Carragher, what a selfish b*stard!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed, and i dont think we''ll ever know but it stinks a little to me. Heskey is the big ? for me. Struggled all season albeit in a pretty good Villa team but i can''t see the point. Carragher is ageing a bit IMO but not sure if thats a bad thing. Adam Johnson is one for the future but cant see him making the 23.

[/quote]

Very pleased Milner got the nod. That boy can cover the pitch if needed.

[quote user="First Jedi"]Capello asked Carragher to join the squad - Capello makes the decision on who to take. Not Carragher.[/quote]

Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a shit season at Anfield.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If I were to guess which 7 would miss out from that , I would predict,

Warnock,Upson,Parker,Huddlestone,Wright-Phillips,Johnson & Bent

[/quote]

I agree although i think Parker has been terrific this season.

The fact is Carragher is better than both Dawson & Upson, plus he can also play full-back which is an advantage.

Sol Campbell is still better than the lot of them though and Capello has made a big mistake not selecting him. Despite what people say he hasn''t lost his pace. Over the last few games I''ve seen him better some very rapid players.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If I were to guess which 7 would miss out from that , I would predict,

Warnock,Upson,Parker,Huddlestone,Wright-Phillips,Johnson & Bent

[/quote]

I agree although i think Parker has been terrific this season.

[/quote]

I think Upson will get the nod over Dawson because of experience. I will get laughed at here but I was disappointed Paul Robinson didn''t make it. Only keeper we have with World Cup experience, played a lot better than Green or James this season and I think was just ripped to shreds on the back of one freak mistake.

"Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a * season at Anfield."

Fair nuff - although, if I were playing for McClaren before, I''d probably have retired, too. After which, you''d never expect to be given another chance and hence never came out of retirement - unless asked by the manager himself. So it''s not that much of a drama...

Not sure how Ledley King would manage to play those matches with all his injury problems. Shame as probably our best centre back, but just couldnt see how he would manage to get through. Never really seen Carragher perform that well for England to justify being brought back in when he didnt want to be part of the qaulifying games, i might have understood someone like Scholes being brought back.

[quote user="Penfold"]The fact is Carragher is better than both Dawson & Upson, plus he can also play full-back which is an advantage. Sol Campbell is still better than the lot of them though and Capello has made a big mistake not selecting him. Despite what people say he hasn''t lost his pace. Over the last few games I''ve seen him better some very rapid players.[/quote]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2601087/Theo-Walcott-is-the-Premier-Leagues-fastest-player.html

Ok admittedly its the Sun but still it makes for interesting reading. Sol Campbell can be quicker than Torres or Drogba on his day.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

England''s 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

I didn''t think the squad was ''that'' bad to be fair.

[/quote][Y]

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a * season at Anfield." Fair nuff - although, if I were playing for McClaren before, I''d probably have retired, too. After which, you''d never expect to be given another chance and hence never came out of retirement - unless asked by the manager himself. So it''s not that much of a drama...[/quote]

I dont suppose its a big drama. It says more about the individual than the talent he has.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="Penfold"]The fact is Carragher is better than both Dawson & Upson, plus he can also play full-back which is an advantage. Sol Campbell is still better than the lot of them though and Capello has made a big mistake not selecting him. Despite what people say he hasn''t lost his pace. Over the last few games I''ve seen him better some very rapid players.[/quote]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2601087/Theo-Walcott-is-the-Premier-Leagues-fastest-player.html

Ok admittedly its the Sun but still it makes for interesting reading. Sol Campbell can be quicker than Torres or Drogba on his day.

[/quote]

torres and drogba would be over 100m campbell would be over 50m before he was to tired to run any more [;)]

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Thats not whats niggling me. The fact Capello asked him and Carragher has turned his back on England and then accepted it suggests hes making up for a * season at Anfield." Fair nuff - although, if I were playing for McClaren before, I''d probably have retired, too. After which, you''d never expect to be given another chance and hence never came out of retirement - unless asked by the manager himself. So it''s not that much of a drama...[/quote]

I dont suppose its a big drama. It says more about the individual than the talent he has.

[/quote]

Got to agree with the comment about Steve "Brolly Dolly" Mclaren.

Banana, you''re taking one right-back, five wingers and five strikers? Looks a little forward heavy to me...

One of Michael Carrick and Tom Huddlestone has to go we need the creative option.

Scott Parker isn''t really a defensive midfielder, he does his best work driving forwards. Really, he''s Lampard''s understudy.

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Jamie Carragher, what a selfish b*stard!

[/quote]

Are you sure? how many pleayers were actually involved in the WC qualifiers who are not in this 30 man provisional (defence) Only main one I can think of is Wes Brown - cant imagine he played much and if he did, id rather p!ss him off and have Carragher at the back, lets not sentimental  [;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just realised what ive done here and replied to Morty. Forget what i said!!

[IMG]http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/Anonymous_084/_47822499_johnson_466.jpg[/IMG]

Im pleased AJs in the squad, been impressed with him this season for Man city, although for a minute I thoughChris Martin had a shock call up! [:$]