Sign in to follow this  
Romantic

Some Things Are Certain

Death, taxes and the impermanence of player squads. Every year the door starts revolving. Every year we release players. Every year some of those released have displayed a love for and dedication to our club. Every year phrases such as "DISGRACE" and "DISGUSTED" get flung about like the Carrow Road Two''s season tickets. Every year we are party only to the barest of facts relating to these comings and goings. Every year we see fit to pronounce hysterically on such departures despite the obvious possibility that decisions have been reached after consideration of complex factors such as wage budgets, players ambitions to move to pastures new, the managers intentions regarding squad shape, tactical arrangement, future acquisitions and so on.Players come. Players go. This is Lambert''s first closed season with Norwich City. What chance we can go a few weeks into it before we all start running about screaming blue murder like a bunch of paranoid cretins with their hair on fire? Calm down dear - it''s only the transfer window!

Players come, Players go... you say it so easily as if it has no consequences.. kinda like players going and being replaced by loan players coming.. and remind me again... what were the consequences of that?

russell and doc done a fine job this season,but are average championship players .

people will chill out when we start getting some quality through the door.

The consequences of that Andy were pretty dire - obviously. I''m not sure that''s the point I was making (and I think to be fair - you know that). The sum of my point was that it''s totally mental to start hyperventilating about our release / transfer strategies at this very early stage in proceedings. I find it hilarious that the mood on here can so quickly descend into paranoid ramblings of the exact same tone expressed during that period to which you refer. Why do we assume that players being released now will result in the same disaster that it did 2 seasons ago? One thing is certain - players get older, managers change and squads alter.

Although having re-read wht I just wrote perhaps I should say that it''s actually three things which are certain! Oh - and nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I''m not suggesting any imminent disaster. But neither are any of the people on here. If they''re it''s a very small minority. Most the posts I''ve read are 70% sad to see Doc go, 20% happy and 10% other opinions.But you can''t just drop in with a cavalier attitude saying all will be ok, went recent history gives people every excuse to be concerned.

Uncertainty will always unsettle people, we only have half the picture right now. If better players are bought to replace the ones going out then everything is fine, and we won''t really know that until they are here and playing well in the team.This season will be a real test of Lambert, because if you think about it, last season he played with a majority of his players having being bought by somebody else, so there was a certain amount of "pressure off" because if it had all gone wrong there would have been the excuse "Well, I didn''t buy that squad and I could only work with what I had"Only time will tell.

Thing is dearest Mortitious Lambert hasn''t really shown too much smarts in transfers.Mcnamee was good in my view, but he''s not a starter in League 1, so how will he fit in in the Championship?Russell Martin is widely believed to not be good enough for the Championship..Rose would be backup only but if Drury was to be out for any period of time we''d have issues..Elliott probably cost a fair old smack in fees and wages but has done very little..

Credit can''t be given for losing dead wood like Cureton, Mcveigh etc... Soooo.... hmmm.In Lambert I trust? yes. Do I need a small pickmeup soon? yes please.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I''m not suggesting any imminent disaster. But neither are any of the people on here. If they''re it''s a very small minority. Most the posts I''ve read are 70% sad to see Doc go, 20% happy and 10% other opinions.But you can''t just drop in with a cavalier attitude saying all will be ok, went recent history gives people every excuse to be concerned.[/quote]But I haven''t ''just dropped in''. And at no point did I say that everything was going to be ok. I just see no point in getting worked up in the negative before we see the whole picture.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Thing is dearest Mortitious Lambert hasn''t really shown too much smarts in transfers.Mcnamee was good in my view, but he''s not a starter in League 1, so how will he fit in in the Championship?Russell Martin is widely believed to not be good enough for the Championship..Rose would be backup only but if Drury was to be out for any period of time we''d have issues..Elliott probably cost a fair old smack in fees and wages but has done very little..

Credit can''t be given for losing dead wood like Cureton, Mcveigh etc... Soooo.... hmmm.In Lambert I trust? yes. Do I need a small pickmeup soon? yes please.[/quote]Isn''t it oddly convenient of you to of forgotten about ''Fraser Forster''?

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Thing is dearest Mortitious Lambert hasn''t really shown too much smarts in transfers.Mcnamee was good in my view, but he''s not a starter in League 1, so how will he fit in in the Championship?Russell Martin is widely believed to not be good enough for the Championship..Rose would be backup only but if Drury was to be out for any period of time we''d have issues..Elliott probably cost a fair old smack in fees and wages but has done very little..

Credit can''t be given for losing dead wood like Cureton, Mcveigh etc... Soooo.... hmmm.In Lambert I trust? yes. Do I need a small pickmeup soon? yes please.[/quote]Certainly can''t argue with much of that (although I think RM will be a decent cover for right back next season at least). I will be pretty jittery come July if we don''t look like filling the big gap left by Doc (although if we can get Whitbread off the physio''s table it would be a significant start). We may yet keep Rusty (again - more a squad player next season surely?) and so on and so on...

[quote user="AndyCanary"]Good point, Fraser is top class.[/quote]But was always going to be a lot better than anything we already had at the club, he isn''t our player, and it wouldn''t take a lot of knowledge to realise that he was pretty highly rated.A great addition to our side, but hardly the work of a scouting genius.

Exactly what are you expecting Andy? I think you''re being extremely unrealistic.

McNamee won''t fit in the Championship? He has a Championship play off winners medal with Watford for gods sake. He''s not "been a starter in League 1" because of the system we''ve played.

Russell Martin not being good enough for the Championship shows Lambert hasn''t done well in the transfer market is a bizarre thing to say. For starters, Martin was brought in for League One - and has shown himself to be a capable player at that level.

Rose and Elliot were only on loan and there is nothing to suggest they''ll be back next season, despite all the "his kids are in my nursery" crap.

Frankly, I find it incredible that people are s quick to jump on Lambert''s back after the season we''ve just had. His transfer dealings have been excellent compared to past managers with far fewer resources than his predecessors as well. And everyone looks over the biggest piece of business Lambert did - bringing in a certain Frasier Forster.

Criticising his transfer dealings last season is frankly pathetic. You need to get real.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="AndyCanary"]Good point, Fraser is top class.[/quote]and it wouldn''t take a lot of knowledge to realise that he was pretty

highly rated.
but hardly the work of a scouting genius.[/quote]Was it really that easy?Unlike many a decent up and coming prospect in this country he never so much as managed to play for England at any level within it''s youth set-up, and he had never represented Newcastle at a senior level, wasn''t particularly highly rated by Bristol Rovers fans from much of what i''ve read, and had a relatively decent 7 game spell at ''Stockport''.He''d played 11 senior football games by the age of 22 prior to his arrival at Norwich.[quote user="morty"]he isn''t our player[/quote]Neither are Elliot and Rose, but as far as the point is concerned it''s relative.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Exactly what are you expecting Andy? I think you''re being extremely unrealistic.

McNamee won''t fit in the Championship? He has a Championship play off winners medal with Watford for gods sake. He''s not "been a starter in League 1" because of the system we''ve played.

Russell Martin not being good enough for the Championship shows Lambert hasn''t done well in the transfer market is a bizarre thing to say. For starters, Martin was brought in for League One - and has shown himself to be a capable player at that level.

Rose and Elliot were only on loan and there is nothing to suggest they''ll be back next season, despite all the "his kids are in my nursery" crap.

Frankly, I find it incredible that people are s quick to jump on Lambert''s back after the season we''ve just had. His transfer dealings have been excellent compared to past managers with far fewer resources than his predecessors as well. And everyone looks over the biggest piece of business Lambert did - bringing in a certain Frasier Forster.

Criticising his transfer dealings last season is frankly pathetic. You need to get real.[/quote]I don''t think anyone is jumping on his back.But he has to take a step up to a different level, one that he has never managed at, and we won''t know if he can cut it until he actually does.

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"][quote user="morty"][quote user="AndyCanary"]Good point, Fraser is top class.[/quote]and it wouldn''t take a lot of knowledge to realise that he was pretty

highly rated.
but hardly the work of a scouting genius.[/quote]Was it really that easy?Unlike many a decent up and coming prospect in this country he never so much as managed to play for England at any level within it''s youth set-up, and he had never represented Newcastle at a senior level, wasn''t particularly highly rated by Bristol Rovers fans from much of what i''ve read, and had a relatively decent 7 game spell at ''Stockport''.He''d played 11 senior football games by the age of 22 prior to his arrival at Norwich.[quote user="morty"]he isn''t our player[/quote]Neither are Elliot and Rose, but as far as the point is concerned it''s relative.[/quote]I''m pretty sure when I read up on him at the time that I read Forster was rated, no I don''t have links or source as it was back when we signed him. Its a relatively safer bet taking a player on loan rather than buy, because you are not really committing to anything, now if Lambert had bought Forster and he had gone on to play like he has this season then it would be a work of unparalleled genius.

Totally disagree, Morty. Since the Doherty decision has been announced, people have absolutely been on Lambert''s back. Just read the "DISGRACE" thread. It''s plain to see. And now we have Andy criticising his transfer dealings apparently because they aren''t good enough for the Championship. Perhaps he''s forgotten we are a League One team and needed transfers to get us back into the Championship?

As for Lambert "stepping up", I think every manager in every job would argue they''re always attempting to prove they can cut it. The difference, I suppose, is what they consider "it" to be. I think Lambert has shown himself to be a talented, capable manager - and I for one cannot see how anyone could consider us to be in anything but very safe hands.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Totally disagree, Morty. Since the Doherty decision has been announced, people have absolutely been on Lambert''s back. Just read the "DISGRACE" thread. It''s plain to see. And now we have Andy criticising his transfer dealings apparently because they aren''t good enough for the Championship. Perhaps he''s forgotten we are a League One team and needed transfers to get us back into the Championship?

As for Lambert "stepping up", I think every manager in every job would argue they''re always attempting to prove they can cut it. The difference, I suppose, is what they consider "it" to be. I think Lambert has shown himself to be a talented, capable manager - and I for one cannot see how anyone could consider us to be in anything but very safe hands.[/quote]Well people are stupid, some can''t help it.It wouldn''t be beyond the realms of possibility for Lambert to have "found his level" (I''m sick of seeing that phrase lol) I personally think he''s the real deal and could be our best manager in years, but my opinion counts for squit, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.He will be judged on every single decision he makes and every single result his team gains.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Exactly what are you expecting Andy? I think you''re being extremely unrealistic.

Criticising his transfer dealings last season is frankly pathetic. You need to get real.[/quote]Lmao, don''t be such a wolly. Go back re-read my post. Then re-read yours you''ll notice you''re being a numpty.Mcnamee I like, I like a lot. But my point is we brought him in and he''s not been a regular. I would class this as a good signing. But I was making a point.R.Martin I also like. But popular opinion is that he isn''t good enough for the Championship. He''s hardly a signing as exciting for us ahead of the Championship as say Holt, or a player as exciting as Korey.Rose is irrelivent at the moment as there has been no word on whether he''s going to be permanent or not.Elliott was poor.Forster was obviously supreme. And yes people can say he was highly rated. But it''s 1 thing bringing in a highly rated, untested outfield player. But a keeper that deserves kudos.Even still, except for Forster who would you say is a top class signing by Lambert? I love the guy, just discussing real facts about real issues.. if you don''t like that then I suggest you find a forum that doesn''t allow this.. Good luck with that [;)]

---Romantic''s original post is spot on. There is another point, though.

This (unless Lambert gets poached) will be the first summer since 2005

that will not be followed by a managerial upheaval, and the consequent

clearing out of unwanted players and the bringing in of new ones.

2006 - Worthington''s dealings invalidated by his sacking in October.

2007 - Grant''s dealings invalidated by his resignation in October.

2008 - Roeder''s dealings invalidated by his sacking in January 2009.

2009 - Gunn''s dealings invalidated by his sacking in August 2009.

In other words, the players Lambert signs are likely to have a longer

shelf life than many of those brought in during the previous four

summers. That''s good, of course. Continuity (which we have been lacking)

is generally good. Providing they''re the right players.