Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Lambert Knows What He's Doing

Bit of a shock the Doc news but lets face it, he''s been the central part of a defence that, since relegation from the Premiership, has struggled to maintain its Championship status for 3 seasons, then finally got relegated. Yes he''s done well this season but it is League 1.

Im actually a big fan of Doherty but im an even bigger fan of Lambert and if we''re to have any hope of challenging for the playoffs next season we simply cannot go into it with the same old Doc and Co in defence. Little surprising that Nelson is still at the club but saying that Nelson''s on a 3 yr contract, presumably, on probably lower wages and Docs contract is up.

Anyway Lambert obviously has his own ideas and Doc isnt part of them. Im slightly saddened but at the same time it makes sense if we''re serious about a promotion push next season. Same thing with Malky and Iwan, as great as they were they were never gonna be good enough in the Premier, problem then was we didnt replace them. Ashton and Taylor would have done but hey ho. Key thing is that Lambert brings in better replacements, which I expect him to.

Same goes for Russell. Both have been immense this season but since Russell''s been a consistent part of our midfield we''ve struggled in the Championship. Smith can play the Russell role and next season I think we''ll see him there. He''s quicker, especially over 5 yards, hassles better and I think will develop into a great player for us in that position. Whether he''s too young and we''ll miss Russell''s experience is up to Lambert, but again he knows what he''s doing.

Doc and Russell have been integral parts of the team for ages now and we ended up in League 1. Of course it wasnt all their fault but I think its time for a change dont you?

good post.

agree 100 percent.

yes both players mentioned have had a good season but previous time in the championship has not been brilliant ,

the is some good players out there ,and city need to make changes if they are to do what they say they want to do .

back lambert ,and give it a good go and push for a top 6 place .

if we brought in a couple of decent premiership players to replace them ,would anyone complain then ..?

If we''re serious about having a crack at the Premiership then yes, Doc and Russell aren''t part of the team spine to get us there.  If Lambert brings in better, stronger and faster players then it''s good business.  If however we start next season with Gill in the holding role then I would be worried.

Bit worried if he keeps Nelson to be honest.

Im sorry, I rate Lambert as our best manager since Martin O''Nail....but...I dont buy into all this..."I trust Lambert"....I do trust him to a certain extent, but everyone makes mistakes...Lambert included....you learn from your mistakes and become a btter person for it.....of course I support Lambert, hes been superb.....but just because he won us the League, it doesnt mean I cant think "hes dropped a bollok there".......Fergie makes mistakes, Benentiz makes bloody loads of mistakes, Wenger makes mistakes, Ancellotti makes mistakes....even the best best manager in the world Jose Mouriniho makes mistakes...........

I think Lambert knows what he''s doing.

The moment we confirmed our promotion, I reckon Lambert was then contemplating what he felt were necessary changes that must have to be made - for the club to survive and compete in the Championship. He''s started the ball rolling, and it''s upset a few folk....but does anyone expect anything else?

Lambert will have selected his potential targets well before the last ball was kicked the previous Saturday. He''ll be monitoring the teams that have been relegated/promoted from the Championship - including those players in the lower echelons of professional football, for what he identifies and feels will be quality additions; whether they be freebies, good prospects or fringe players, including experienced, solid and committed professionals.

Because if Lambert didn''t know what he''s doing.....?

We''ll still be playing the likes of Southampton, Carlisle, Brighton, Yeovil and Hartlepool etc.....From August onwards....

I predicted Doc leaving back in Nov.   His wages are now too much for us and there are other clubs who will pay them.   We can get better value for money elsewhere although I doubt we will get a better player.

Lambert feels that he can use his budget better - and in that I trust.    But releasing Doc means he MUST now sign a first team centre back.  Going into the season with 2 from Whitbread  Askou or Nelson will not be good enough for the champs,  esp with Whitbreads injury record over the last couple of seasons