Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

The art of taking penalties

Having been reading the lynch mob mentality of some ,not all of the Leicester fans about "That Pen" in the playoffs.The question still remains .How do you take a pen in that kind of pressure situation? Pens will probably play a big part of our season whether it is giving them away or sticking them in the onion bag.One supporter  pointed out .. a "Panenka" penalty is probably the hardest of all to execute because if you over hit it and it will smack  the bar or sail over.Under hit it and it will only travel o so slowly off the ground and will give the keeper time to (in Marshalls case dive the wrong way,get up  and still stop it) .Execute it perfectly and all the keeper has to do is stand rooted to the spot and catch it.They were actually saying that that the other pen which was saved was a better penalty but any penalty which doesn''t go in is a bad one surely.Has anyone on here ever taken a pen?How hard can it be?

Get it down quickly choose a corner put it there like Hoolahan does. If the keeper saves it when you have hit it hard into the corner what can you do? Practice is the key.

Hit them hard and low, trying to show off hardly ever works....I think im right in saying Dwight Yorke started it....Liam Lawrence tried it in a play off FINAL for Mansfield and missed.....but if say, Stephen Hughes done that for us in a shoot oput next year....would you be able to forgive him???.....I remember the Pires/Henry penalty v man City.....Man City fuming that it was disrespectful.........like i said pick a corner, hard and low, takes a great save for it to be missed.