Sign in to follow this  
freddyf105

A new defender or not?

Who would everyone like to see in our defence next season after Doherty''s departure? Do you think we''ll be able to function with Whitbread and Askou in defence and a new cb in reserve or do you think we should focus on siging a new first-team defender? And if so who?

Has anybody seen any thing in Whitbread to think that he will be Doc''s replacement , Don''t think so . Hopefully Lambert has someone in mind.

wait and see , whitbread has not been played enough to make a call and askou n nelson are untried at ccc level tho they will probably be ok , we don;t know how they look in training tho and we also have spillane in the mix , would hope he will sign an experienced ccc player tho

[quote user="freddyf105"]Who would everyone like to see in our defence next season after Doherty''s departure? Do you think we''ll be able to function with Whitbread and Askou in defence and a new cb in reserve or do you think we should focus on siging a new first-team defender? And if so who?[/quote]

Depends on what Lambert is thinking. He might think that with Wiggins/Rose, Drury, Askou, Whitbread, Spillane, Nelson and Martin that he already has enough cover defensively. If he wishes to sign another player some of that will come down to whether he thinks Spillane''s best position is right back or centre back. Plus you don''t know whether Nelson or Askou will be out the door if Lambert doesn''t think they will cut it at championship level. So we might be looking for more replacements yet. What I geniunely believe though is that whoever leaves Lambert will have replacements lined up already.

We need a big, big, play every game defender. Really not so sure Nelson at the next level, Askou has been both good and bad this season and Whitbread has seen more of the treatment room than the pitch. I''d maybe even consider buying 2 new central defenders as Spillane still has a bit to learn, and mistakes will be punished in the Championship.

I''d like us to look at Danny Livesey at Carlisle. I reckon he could make the step up, very commanding presence and on a free I believe.

[quote user="morty"]We need a big, big, play every game defender. Really not so sure Nelson at the next level, Askou has been both good and bad this season and Whitbread has seen more of the treatment room than the pitch. I''d maybe even consider buying 2 new central defenders as Spillane still has a bit to learn, and mistakes will be punished in the Championship.[/quote]Aren''t most CBs big and play every game? Know what you mean but thats such a strange statement.Nelson and Doc have had good seasons as all that we needed them to do most of the time was win the ball and clear it away, and both being big and relatively strong they did this well. The only times they have looked shaky is when trying to take the ball down and move forward - and that is the sort of defender we need in the championship.As people are saying we havent seen a lot of Whitbread but that is definately no excuse for all the critisim. He had a really good half when he came on in the Brentford game - 3 at the back against a team will an extra player. Obviously winning the game and going top was the big news but a massive achievement for keeping a clean sheet. More importantly he looks like hes got more than just strength and has actually wanted to keep the ball and play it along the ground.I think he will be an important player for us in the championship and cant wait to see him start games, and more importantly in full fitness.

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="morty"]We need a big, big, play every game defender. Really not so sure Nelson at the next level, Askou has been both good and bad this season and Whitbread has seen more of the treatment room than the pitch. I''d maybe even consider buying 2 new central defenders as Spillane still has a bit to learn, and mistakes will be punished in the Championship.[/quote]Aren''t most CBs big and play every game? Know what you mean but thats such a strange statement.Nelson and Doc have had good seasons as all that we needed them to do most of the time was win the ball and clear it away, and both being big and relatively strong they did this well. The only times they have looked shaky is when trying to take the ball down and move forward - and that is the sort of defender we need in the championship.As people are saying we havent seen a lot of Whitbread but that is definately no excuse for all the critisim. He had a really good half when he came on in the Brentford game - 3 at the back against a team will an extra player. Obviously winning the game and going top was the big news but a massive achievement for keeping a clean sheet. More importantly he looks like hes got more than just strength and has actually wanted to keep the ball and play it along the ground.I think he will be an important player for us in the championship and cant wait to see him start games, and more importantly in full fitness.[/quote]I don''t just mean physically big, but big in character and mental strength too, and, given a choice I''d rather see the position of captain given to one of the CB''s.I don''t think that Whitbread has come in for a massive amount of criticism, but a player that spends more time with the physio than on the pitch really isn''t a lot of use to us.

I''m fairly confident Askou can make the step up.  He looked very solid when he was playng regularly and is very dominating in the air.  I can only remember two bad things from him so I''m not to sure why everyone is threating about him, he made a mistake agaisn''t Wycombe at home and they scored and he had a nightmare agaisn''t Carlisle which is understandable really after his long time off.

Whitbread from what I''ve heard is a good player but I''m still waiting to make my own judgement, but even if those two are first choice I think we probably still need 2 new centre backs.