Sign in to follow this  
PhatCanary

Give it time

There are a few people on NCFC forums already doubting PL and the clubs chances in the championship next season,this is based on 1 defender leaving and the possibility of 1 midfielder joining Leeds,none of us have the first clue what PL has got planned when it comes to squad building,i know that when we last got promoted the club made mistakes but i am sure this time round we have a plan of action,we need to see what happens over the next two months before panicking,i firmly believe that the club is heading in the right direction and sometimes hard decisions have to be made for the good of the club and to take the club to the next level,we have just enjoyed a superb season of attacking football and goals galore and we have a really top management team who imo know what they are doing,give it time!!

The reason people are so hissy is that no one saw the Doherty thing coming (though no doubt they will claim they did) after the season, and much improvement in his all round play that we have all witnessed (apart from the blinkered people)

But we lost at home to Carlisle in a meaningless game, ergo we are doomed next season. You''re not a proper Norwich supporter are you?

[quote user="morty"]The reason people are so hissy is that no one saw the Doherty thing coming (though no doubt they will claim they did) after the season, and much improvement in his all round play that we have all witnessed (apart from the blinkered people)

[/quote]

Yes he played well but it''s not the end of the world like certain people would have us all believe, i was shocked to see the news but to start having a pop at the club and PL already is bloody pathetic.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

[quote user="morty"]The reason people are so hissy is that no one saw the Doherty thing coming (though no doubt they will claim they did) after the season, and much improvement in his all round play that we have all witnessed (apart from the blinkered people)

[/quote]

Yes he played well but it''s not the end of the world like certain people would have us all believe, i was shocked to see the news but to start having a pop at the club and PL already is bloody pathetic.

[/quote]Yes, but what it is is possibly half way to a bad decision. If we get someone else in, who turns out to be not as good as Doherty (who I firmly believe could do a job for us next season, but if I was a betting man I would suspect Lambert only offered him a one year contract and he wanted more) then just watch the "I told you so''s" start.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, but what it is is possibly half way to a bad decision. If we get someone else in, who turns out to be not as good as Doherty (who I firmly believe could do a job for us next season, but if I was a betting man I would suspect Lambert only offered him a one year contract and he wanted more) then just watch the "I told you so''s" start.
[/quote]

I agree about the contract just get the feeling that we will never find out the truth.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, but what it is is possibly half way to a bad decision. If we get someone else in, who turns out to be not as good as Doherty (who I firmly believe could do a job for us next season, but if I was a betting man I would suspect Lambert only offered him a one year contract and he wanted more) then just watch the "I told you so''s" start.[/quote]But what do you mean by a job? I like the sense of ambition this decision is bringing. It seems Lambert doesnt want players that have done average to poor jobs in the championship in the past, but bring in players to puch the club forward as he has already started.Doc has shown to be solidish but makes errors at whatever level - hopefully next season these errors wont be in the team and in the new CBsIm sure Doc could do a job for us, but how good a one is debatable (as the numerous threads show!)

Perhaps he doesn''t want to do ''a job'' for us. Perhaps at 30 he wants to be somewhere he is a regular. Perhaps if it wasn''t for injuries he wouldn''t have been a regular this season. Askou and Whitbread were perhaps the favoured two. Perhaps he was offered a one year deal on less money and the reason given that he is no longer guaranteed a first team spot - perhaps he would have taken the first two but not the last one.

In addition there is the age factor. Both him and Nelson are 30 but he happens to be the one out of contract. Perhaps one of Lamberts targets is another 30+ defender for example Darren Purse, and he doesn''t want an old and creaky defence.

Who knows but I refuse to be drawn into whether this is a good move or not until I have seen more of Whitbread and if we bring in another defender to replace him.

Russel, Doc and Cureton are our top 3 earners {or were}...So if Lambert can replace them with better players on smaller wagers then it makes sense. My only gripe, is for me Nelson will be out of his depth, Jens is untested, and Zak we havent really seen.....but we have till early august to build a squad and lambert has already made a start.......all I will say is Lamberts been terrrific, but that doesnt mean he wont make the odd mistake along the way.

GRD how do we know that releasing MacKay was the wrong decision? Didn''t WHam do exactly the same thing when they went up?

I thought replacing him with Simon Charlton was the cock up. Had Worthy released and replaced with a more sensible option, rather than playing 2 dwarfs at centre back, releasing MacKay wouldn''t have been the wrong decision.

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, but what it is is possibly half way to a bad decision. If we get someone else in, who turns out to be not as good as Doherty (who I firmly believe could do a job for us next season, but if I was a betting man I would suspect Lambert only offered him a one year contract and he wanted more) then just watch the "I told you so''s" start.[/quote]But what do you mean by a job? I like the sense of ambition this decision is bringing. It seems Lambert doesnt want players that have done average to poor jobs in the championship in the past, but bring in players to puch the club forward as he has already started.Doc has shown to be solidish but makes errors at whatever level - hopefully next season these errors wont be in the team and in the new CBsIm sure Doc could do a job for us, but how good a one is debatable (as the numerous threads show!)[/quote]I consider that we should have 4 centre backs in the squad, and he could easily be one of them. If you gave me a direct choice between having Nelson or Doc in the squad for next season I''d take the Doc. Numerous threads mean nothing, about 95% of what is talked on here is crap anyway lol. The cost of bringing in a new player, both financially and also the cost of breaking up a winning team would work out much more than giving the Doc a new contract. I think a lot is being gambled on Zak reaching fitness and the form he is allegedly capable of.

[quote user="singing canary"]he must have some clue ,as he knew the doc was out of contract at the end of the season.[/quote]Yes, but the whole picture hasn''t become entirely clear until now. Would we get promoted? What investment would we have for the summer? How much money will we get from the league if we are promoted? What other players available and can we afford them?It would be daft offering anyone a new contract until all the above were answered.

lambert had a good idea a few months ago we were on course for promotion .

if the board have said money is available ,and we are pushing for a top 6 position next season,to be honest that''s quite a bold statement without some form of master plan behind it .

We have to trust Lambert, we have been told publicly the board are backing him, we have trusted him and his decisions this season, we have to trust him in making the right decisions and choices to take this club forward next season.

He hasn''t given me cause to worry, I just think the over reaction by some about players being released is quite frankly OTT.  Who knows who he may have already talked to or be in talks with, we might all be pleasantly surprised at who he brings in.

[/quote]PL has seen the doc for what he is...a league 1 player....we have been poor at the back for years now and who has been part of a 2???? DOC...yes he has improved this season but im not convinced he is championship material anymore....we bought him as a Prem player

Good luck in your future Doc [Y]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[/quote]PL has seen the doc for what he is...a league 1 player....we have been poor at the back for years now and who has been part of a 2???? DOC...yes he has improved this season but im not convinced he is championship material anymore....we bought him as a Prem player

[/quote]Just cany beleive people are jumping on PL and our chances in the championship already...it really is laughable...i think these are the same people that sat near me the last game of the season

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[/quote]Just cany beleive people are jumping on PL and our chances in the championship already...it really is laughable...i think these are the same people that sat near me the last game of the season[/quote]People get nervous, at the end of the day Lambert is stepping into unknown territory, what he achieved this season was fantastic, but we''re back on zero points now with it all to prove.And this Doc thing really was a curve ball, I mean, if you were to pick right now who you would rather have in the squad, Doc or Nelson, I know who I''d choose.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[/quote]Just cany beleive people are jumping on PL and our chances in the championship already...it really is laughable...i think these are the same people that sat near me the last game of the season[/quote]People get nervous, at the end of the day Lambert is stepping into unknown territory, what he achieved this season was fantastic, but we''re back on zero points now with it all to prove.And this Doc thing really was a curve ball, I mean, if you were to pick right now who you would rather have in the squad, Doc or Nelson, I know who I''d choose.[/quote]Based on the last few games I think I''d go for Nelson but in an ideal world I don''t think any of them are good enough to be a regular starter at that level. If we had the money I''d rather we offloaded the pair of them and replaced them with a couple of more mobile centre backs tbh.

I love it! Nothing like hammering your manager after a great season and before the new one even starts! I reckon less people were hammering the club/manager after the first game of last season. Not content with just sitting tight for a while and seeing what happens. Seriously get lives people and live a little!

[quote user="Ruuuuuuuuuuelllllllllllll"]I love it! Nothing like hammering your manager after a great season and before the new one even starts! I reckon less people were hammering the club/manager after the first game of last season. Not content with just sitting tight for a while and seeing what happens. Seriously get lives people and live a little!
[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Clint"]GRD how do we know that releasing MacKay was the wrong decision? Didn''t WHam do exactly the same thing when they went up? I thought replacing him with Simon Charlton was the cock up. Had Worthy released and replaced with a more sensible option, rather than playing 2 dwarfs at centre back, releasing MacKay wouldn''t have been the wrong decision.[/quote]

We missed Mackays leadership, desire and leadership qualities as well as the fact we replaced him with an inferior player!

All we heard form the gloom merchants amongst our support when we got promoted into the Premiership was that Mackay would get skinned by the likes of Henry and CO but in fairness Henry skinned most players at that time and then consider Fleming (who was no better than Mackay) played every game in the Premiership.

Funny enough the Doc had Mackays qualities as well and this season just gone had acquired Malkys knack for scoring goals!

My hope now us that Lambert isn''t gambling on Whitbread coming good and that hes got a better replacement (new signing) lined up for the god like figure that was the Ginger Pele, The Doc!

[quote user="Ruuuuuuuuuuelllllllllllll"]I love it! Nothing like hammering your manager after a great season and before the new one even starts! I reckon less people were hammering the club/manager after the first game of last season. Not content with just sitting tight for a while and seeing what happens. Seriously get lives people and live a little!
[/quote]

You have just distilled into three lines why I will only be coming on here very occasionally in the close season!

Unbelievable.... It''s the Doc not Franz bloody Beckenbaur!!!!

If you went to the last few games you would have seen that Nelson was our best centre back not Doc and at 30, expensive & quiet, it was obvious that he''d not get a new contract.

Doc was no Malky, he was too quiet. A good player for the league we''ve just been in, no more no less.

I wish him well but please get a grip people!

[quote user="Mike Grant"]Unbelievable.... It''s the Doc not Franz bloody Beckenbaur!!!! If you went to the last few games you would have seen that Nelson was our best centre back not Doc and at 30, expensive & quiet, it was obvious that he''d not get a new contract. Doc was no Malky, he was too quiet. A good player for the league we''ve just been in, no more no less. I wish him well but please get a grip people![/quote]

Nice one Mike. It looks as if some are begining to doubt Lambert cos he`s let Doc go. Laughable, I have 100% confidence in Lambert and I for one would not want to see the spectacle of Doc pulling players down in or on the edge of the box again next season, just like he always did when playing at a higher level. It`s amazing that many of the "the manager always knows best" brigade are begining to doubt him cos he  let the old donkey go. 

if we are serious about promotion ,we need defenders who can compete at a higher level.

does anyone really think the doc is one of the best defenders in the championship..?

doc was not one of the best defenders when we got relegated at championship level

regardless of whether doherty is better than nelson,

it was still easier to get rid of doherty as his contract was up.

to get rid of nelson we would have had to pay off his contract

so it was easier to get rid of doherty

[/quote]Oh really?We were certainly discussing it in the car ont the way back from Leyton Orient and Charlton if not earlier Morty.Most of us agreed that it was always going to be a likely scenario given that he was out of contract and one of our highest wage earners, despite peoples opinions on him and whether he can do a job at a higher level being very divided.