Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

My thoughts on the last day.

Right guys. The last 24 hours has returned the Pink Un to its usual service. Sniping peoples comments that you dont agree with and rather than the old "Keep the Faither''s" its now "Keep the Doc''ers!"So Paul LAmbert has released the Ginger Pele. I was shocked, i admit but i really do trust Lambert''s judgement. I rate the Doc as a Championship squad player. He has just had a great season for us but next season is a different challenge completely. Lambert now has the chance to really make the squad his own. To try and take us to the next level. One thing i believe we all agree on is to go to the next level and "challenge for the top 6" as Bowkett stated, we do need to improve on what we have, if not we are in danger of mirroring our relegation season.I think Lambert''s decision on the Doc was slightly forced. Yes he''s had a great season, but lets put it into some perspective. Its Division 3. We signed him as a Premier League player so i would have expected him to "make the step down". The Doc is the only centre back out of contract. Whitbread is Lamberts man, Askou played outstandingly well until his injury and Nelson....well....he is the most improved player i have seen in our colours. (yes he''s not quick but neither is the Doc. Pair him with a quick CB and no problem. Think Morgan at Shef Utd). We cant cancel any of their contracts as we cant afford it.......Now i know for a fact that the Doc is one of the highest paid players at the club and signed his last contract when the club was on its knee''s. It was a drawn out saga that he won. This year he wanted an improved contract. An IMPROVEMENT on an already over paid contract. This is a player who cant guarantee fantastic performances week in week out in the Champ. For me Lambert has made the right decision.All of a sudden £20k plus has potentially been cleared off of the wage bill. Add to that the funds that are being made available by the board and the extra revenue money and i believe that we are in a great position to do what Bowkett has said. There are some great freebies floating about at the minute and people better than the Doc who can claim to be our "highest paid player". Stephen Caldwell would be my choice. I wouldnt begrudge him taking Doc''s No12 shirt. To kick on, we need better players and Lambert realises that.Now for Darel Russell. He could still sign the contract and i think he will. He too up until February had a great season as the base of the diamond.But is he good enough for that role in the Champ? Is he hell. I really believe that he found his level this year. He would be a good squad player but thats the best he can hope for.The beauty of this situation is that Lambert knows the "Russell role" inside out. Remember, he won the biggest competition in club football playing there. So i more than trust his judgement on this one! Add to that we have "the next Russell" in Korey Smith, who played his best game in the anchorman role (plus he''s better than Russell) as did Stephen Hughes who quite simply is the best passer in the club by a mile.The Championship is a completely different league to League 1. Battling is a key attribute but you also need to be able to make something happen on the ball. That is where i would question Russell.Well done Lambert!I was once told that there is no room for sentiment in football. Yes as fans we feel a certain affinity for players but we need to look forward to what promises to be an exciting chapter in our great clubs history.

I agree with most of that.

I think most of the squad found there own level....how many of this squad would you really want in the chmapionship?

Gill? No chance, OTJ? No, Hughes? Probably not, Drury? Yes, Forster {if he comes back} Yes, Russell martin? unsure, Rose? No way, McNammee? Probably not, Korey? Yes, Martin? Yes, Holt? Yes, Hoolahan? yes, Lappin? Unsure, jens and Azk? unsure, Nelson? No,

Basically Lamberts has got to build a whole new squad for a whole new level......freeing up wages by shipping out the top 3 earners is a good way to start.

In Lambert we trust, he''s not done badly thus far.  Oh, and rather than snipping at each other I think we should all go and revel in a truly summer passion.  Cricket.

When i heard caldwell is being released i thought what a signing that would be...Then i thought every club in the championship maybe some prem clubs would see him a squad player. The reason he''s being released is his wages. Will we be able to compete if clubs like Q.P.R,Cardiff,Forest,Derby,Boro even Leeds...He will be a great signing but i doubt we will have the money as we need to strengthen in alot of positions.

The Doc was a proven defender at Championship level. I know some will say that he was part of of a squad that slowly declined to relegation but the Doc was one of few players who done his job for most of the time!

The Doc was very under rated by many Norwich fans. Last season he was better than the likes of Ommorzusi, Stefanovic and Kennedy who were brought into increase the quality and this season he was voted one of the best players in the Division by fellow players who frankly would have more idea than anyone else on the forum, (in reality that isn''t difficult to have more football knowledge than many on this forum!).

Also the fact that the Doc loved playing for the club and always gave an honest performance shouldn''t be underestimated cause theirs many pros floating around who just pick up their money!

Personally I hope that the Docs release means we''re going to sign a new CB cause the existing players in that position don''t fill me with much confidence at a higher level. I hope that Lambert isn''t gambling on Whitbread coming through cause if he was that good he''d of done much better before now!

To replace the Doc with a better player at CB would mean spending a fair old sum I''d say and just like Mackay a few years back we''ll realise how good the Doc was when hes gone!

But I trust Lambert and just hope he gets this massive one right! 

THWACK!That, my friends, is the sound of the nail being hit firmly on the head.Well said, as ever, CUSDP... the voice of reason.

Great post CUSDP. I, too, was surprised by the news, but we have to move on. I for one am really looking forward to this summer''s squad building.

Good post CUSDP,  but not a surprise to me, (either that doc leaving or you giving good post)

The key with releasing doc is that we will have to sign another defender and its essential that he is better than Doc,  who was capable at champs level.  The three left at the club are Champs unknowns,  and to be honest 2 are unlikely to be good enough and the other has a serious injury record to improve upon.  I do think that there are targets in mind. 

Completely echo your comments about russell ;  we seriously need to invest in the midfield and balancing the wages freed up from   Doc and Curo will address that. 

As for this forum - I predicted a couple of weeks ago that the sniping will start with increased expectation levels.  It was hardly insightful and did not require me to look hard at 1st Wiz crystal balls.

Lambert will chose his men.   They will not all be ''named'' ''proven'' or ''acceptable'' players.   What the club has to do is build a team,  that will include signing players that we as fans may not have identified or even currently rate.   But every successful club has those work horses that provides a platform or plays better for a team or manager than anyehere else.  Just because we have not heard of them or rate them does not mean we will be doomed to relegation.

We are in Lamberts hands.   We are powerless to do anything this summer,  and bleating or doommongering wont change a jot until the new season starts and we see whether we have a manager that truly be an inspiration for this club.

I wait hope and expect - but mostly I trust lambert more than any manager we have had since Martin O''Neill - the similarities are immense and I can only hope Pauls star follows a similar successful path,  just far longer in Norfolk. 

Very much agree with you CUSDP.

It''s not the nightmare, ridiculous decision everyone''s making this out to be,

Can you smell that? Good, old fashioned common sense! I get it in my nostrils and can''t get enough. Beats the usual smells we''re used to around here.

[quote user="The Irish Messi"]Agree with all apart from Russell finding his level in League 1.. Have to agree to disagree with you on that point im afraid.[/quote]I am pretty sure that Lambert will disagree with CUSDP on that score too.Never been Russell''s biggest fan prior to this season, but if Lambert intends on playing the diamond again in the Championship then I would say that he has to pull out all the stops on getting Darel to sign a new contract, plus signing a solid left footed player who is strong in the tackle and who can play on both the left hand side and in centre midfield if required.  Without doing those two things then we should give up any hopes that we may have of being successful with the diamond system this coming season.

It seems to me there is a much bigger difference between CCC and League 1 than there is between CCC and Prem.

CCC has a lot of real professionals, internationals, highly skilled talented players. Prem has even more of those, but League 1 is almost devoid of them. That''s why CCC and Prem take a week off during International weekends but League 1 doesn''t.

As such, Lambert must decide which players he has on hand can perform well consistently at the higher level, and for those he thinks cannot, release them.

His decision making so far seems to be pretty good, so why doubt him now? I don''t agree with some of his choices, but I have been proven wrong again and again this season. I thought Hughes was the sh*t based on what I knew about him, and therefore should start. Seems Lambert knew he would be much more effective coming in off the bench, which turned out to be the case. When he started, there was not much happening, but when he came on as a sub in the 2nd half, things happened. How could he treat a fellow Scot that way? He didn''t. He treated US to more wins!!!!

I just hope Lambert''s football knowledge works at the next level somewhere close to where it worked for us at League 1.

Eeeewww, League 1!???? Were we actually in League 1? Somebody wake me up from this nightmare!

Oh, that''s right, Lambert already did!

Note to moderators.Can we have a CUSDP sub forum so i dont have to wade through the nonsense to find the sensible opinion and accurate stories from inside Carrow Road!Cheers!

Nigel Worthington released Malky Mackay after promotion too.. we all trusted his judgment and look what happened....

Sorry but the Doc is/was a good championship player, last year he and rusty were repeatedly slated for poor performances/ being questioned whether they are an asset or an  liability.Anyway:Forster YesRudd YesR.Martin UnsureSpillane UnsureNelson Unsure/NoAskou YesWhitbread Unsure/YesDruy YesRose NoHools YesMcNamee Unsure/YesLappin UnsureRusty Unsure/YesHughes UnsureSmith YesAdeyemi UnsureGill NoOTJ NoMcDonald Unsure/NoJohnson Unsure/NoHolt YesMartin Unsure/YesUnsure/Yes = Unsure but leaning more towards yes(and Vice versa) 

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Also thinking about it, Lambo said at the start of the season that they didn''t feature.

He then managed to get them to perform.

So are we really that suprised??[/quote]

An excellent post and spot on in my opinion......furthermore, it would not surprise me one bit if the decision was mutually agreed. After all, as you so rightly highlighted, they do have history, so Doc knows what the manager thinks / thought of him and Lambert has a touch of egg on his face.

A mutual separation seems logical to me, and possibly agreed many months ago.

Brilliant post CUSDP and I agree with all your points.

Just wished i noticed this thread before I made comments on the others where they were defending Doc to the point of worship!!

Good post cusdp, could someone who thinks the doc is good enough for the championship please explain how we managed to conceded a total of 260 goals in our four seasons in the championship with him as a major part of our defence if he was that good?

[quote user="kdncfc"]Good post cusdp, could someone who thinks the doc is good enough for the championship please explain how we managed to conceded a total of 260 goals in our four seasons in the championship with him as a major part of our defence if he was that good?[/quote]Were the central / defensive midfield providing adequate cover during that time ?  Were the attack holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence ?  Were we offering a balanced formation, or were we papering over the defensive inadequacies of some of our formation to try and exploit their attacking abilities ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="kdncfc"]Good post cusdp, could someone who thinks the doc is good enough for the championship please explain how we managed to conceded a total of 260 goals in our four seasons in the championship with him as a major part of our defence if he was that good?[/quote]Were the central / defensive midfield providing adequate cover during that time ?  Were the attack holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence ?  Were we offering a balanced formation, or were we papering over the defensive inadequacies of some of our formation to try and exploit their attacking abilities ?[/quote]At times especially in the early days after getting relegated I''d say yes the midfield did provide cover and the attack did hold the ball up but because of our defence going awol and being prone to sudden lapses in concentration we continued to concede far to many sloppy goals. Even this season in league 1 there were a few bad goals conceded from corners where our defence failed to deal properly with the ball coming into the box.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="kdncfc"]Good post cusdp, could someone who thinks the doc is good enough for the championship please explain how we managed to conceded a total of 260 goals in our four seasons in the championship with him as a major part of our defence if he was that good?[/quote]Were the central / defensive midfield providing adequate cover during that time ?  Were the attack holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence ?  Were we offering a balanced formation, or were we papering over the defensive inadequacies of some of our formation to try and exploit their attacking abilities ?[/quote]At times especially in the early days after getting relegated I''d say yes the midfield did provide cover and the attack did hold the ball up but because of our defence going awol and being prone to sudden lapses in concentration we continued to concede far to many sloppy goals. Even this season in league 1 there were a few bad goals conceded from corners where our defence failed to deal properly with the ball coming into the box.[/quote]My point was that it''s a team game.  No individual is responsible for the goals against tally.

I too agree with most of CUSDP''s post. A point I made on another thread was that this is the first time in five seasons when the manager doing transfer business this summer will probably still be the manager at least at the end of the season, and quite possibly for next summer as well.That strong likelihood should enable Lambert (and the board) to think in a reasonably long-term fashion. In that light, getting rid of veteran players makes more sense than it otherwise might.

Think you over rate Doc and under rate Rusty.But besides that top post.So true about how Doc held the club ransom on his last contract and now wants an increase ??To right Lambert, send him back to Brighton Beach !

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="kdncfc"]Good post cusdp, could someone who thinks the doc is good enough for the championship please explain how we managed to conceded a total of 260 goals in our four seasons in the championship with him as a major part of our defence if he was that good?[/quote]Were the central / defensive midfield providing adequate cover during that time ?  Were the attack holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence ?  Were we offering a balanced formation, or were we papering over the defensive inadequacies of some of our formation to try and exploit their attacking abilities ?[/quote]At times especially in the early days after getting relegated I''d say yes the midfield did provide cover and the attack did hold the ball up but because of our defence going awol and being prone to sudden lapses in concentration we continued to concede far to many sloppy goals. Even this season in league 1 there were a few bad goals conceded from corners where our defence failed to deal properly with the ball coming into the box.[/quote]My point was that it''s a team game.  No individual is responsible for the goals against tally.[/quote]True enough and it''s fair to say that our team has been poor for most of the last few years but Doherty has still made his fair share of mistakes that have cost us goals and I am more than confident that Lambert will bring in someone better.