Sign in to follow this  
Chris.

Zak Whitbread come on down.

He has looked poor when we have seen him but he is extremely highly rated when fit he will most probably be the first choice next season.

Zak and Askou will be the nuts next season. It''s no coincidence that Zak was linked with up echelons in the Champiosnhip, he is a quality defender, ask any Milwall fan. Askou I think is a great defender, great in the air and strong in the tackle, where Zak is a more ball playing CB. These two will compliment each other perfectly next season and be a very solid pairing.

Whitbred  > Doc.

I''ve no problem saying it, I''ve known about him since he was at Liverpool and he''s been highly thought of throughout his career, even by there fans.

I like Doc and appreciate his service but IMO Zak''s the better player and will prove himself next season. Would have loved to seen em together next season to be fair.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Based on what, though, Mello? You have to admit his few appearances in a yellow jersey have not been encouraging.[/quote]

I was speaking to some (decent) Millwall fans in a boozer at London Bridge a few months back, for our game down there. They were all in agreement in saying that Zak is quality and they were a bit annoyed when he left. He was out for the majority of his first season with them, but when he was fit the following season, he was a very good defender and comfortable on the ball and his distribution was very good. No sour grapes and they didn''t have a bad word to say about him....

Admittedly, his appearances for us have been limited....

But, I just have a feeling that he will be a valuable player for us next season, as will Nelson.

[/quote]

Can''t see it Mello.

Nelson has markedly improved as the season has gone on, but I don''t think he will cut it in the Championship. He''s too slow and has a tendancy to hoof it.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="First Wazzock"]He''s too slow and has a tendancy to hoof it.[/quote]
To be fair Mackay was the same.
[/quote]

I feel Malky was a better player than people gave him credit for.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Based on what, though, Mello? You have to admit his few appearances in a yellow jersey have not been encouraging.[/quote]

I was speaking to some (decent) Millwall fans in a boozer at London Bridge a few months back, for our game down there. They were all in agreement in saying that Zak is quality and they were a bit annoyed when he left. He was out for the majority of his first season with them, but when he was fit the following season, he was a very good defender and comfortable on the ball and his distribution was very good. No sour grapes and they didn''t have a bad word to say about him....

But, I just have a feeling that he will be a valuable player for us next season, as will Nelson.

[/quote]

Can''t see it Mello.

Nelson has markedly improved as the season has gone on, but I don''t think he will cut it in the Championship. He''s too slow and has a tendancy to hoof it.

[/quote]

We''ll just have to beg to differ....Played alongside a pacey CB, Nelson will prove his worth....His confidence has grown, is strong in the air, and his distribution has improved.

I also think he was missed against Carlisle.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Can''t see it Mello.

[/quote]

We''ll just have to beg to differ....Played alongside a pacey CB, Nelson will prove his worth....His confidence has grown, is strong in the air, and his distribution has improved.

[/quote]

I agree about the Carlisle game, and you could well be right if he is paired with a ''faster'' player alongside him. This will be interesting to see how he fairs.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Can''t see it Mello.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree about the Carlisle game, and you could well be right if he is paired with a ''faster'' player alongside him. This will be interesting to see how he fairs.

[/quote]

Here''s hoping.....

My concern about whitbread is his fitness, or rather lack of it. He came in last January and has yet to start a match, coming on as sub 3 times, none of which was very impressive.

Doc was the only CB with CCC (and Prem) experience and now he is gone. There seems to be a gamble about this that is worrying. If money is spent on bringing a new CB in it is less money available for players in other positions (ie. GK, striker(s), creative MF, LB). Where''s the money going to come from for all this?

My other worry is about the players Lambert has brought in, of which only Forster and perhaps Johnson inspire much confidence. R. Martin has done a reasonable job, but he was only available because Posh felt he wasn''t up to the CCC. Whitbread has only managed 3 sub appearances, McNamee has blown hot and cold in League 1, and neither Rose or Elliot has particularly impressed. It doesn''t inspire much confidence so far. Let''s hope new players coming in fare better, but I''m less than optimistic at the moment.

As long as Whitbred gets through a full pre season and is raring to go next season.. I don''t see why he can''t be a major success for us. DOn''t understand how people are knocking him after 3 sub appearences.. seems unfair.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

My concern about whitbread is his fitness, or rather lack of it. He came in last January and has yet to start a match, coming on as sub 3 times, none of which was very impressive.

[/quote]Apart from when he did start against Stockport and was generally quite solid.

I''ve watch Zak a number of times when he was at Millwall and he was always there standout player. He oozed confidence when he was on the ball, wasn''t rushed and had good positioning. The injury he had was a nasty one and as any player will tell you, if you miss pre season, you spend the whole time playing catch up... He has the summer and the pre season to get fit... As long as that happens I think they''ll be a number of people on here with a new favourite player in Zakory.

[quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s looked dire every time I''ve seen him.[/quote]If thats true then you wont even notice ol Muffin has left !Just give Whitbread a ginger wig and he will be equally as shocking ;)

This forum is in dire need of a edit button.....That said, Whitbread is deffo championship quality and has been unfit this season.He will be quality for us

I can only assume that all tose posters saying that every time they have seen Whitbread he was dire, rubbish or whatever did not see the Brentford game.

You know, the one where Russell was sent off and we played three at the back with Whitbread on the left.   They all played like champions but Whitbead fought manfully, hardly put a foot wrong and showed good distribution especially feeding Drury who was palying in midfield.

Shame really because if you''d seen him that day you would feel a lot more optimistic about next season.   He showed he has something to contribute to a quality team.

Anyway, just ask someone who was there.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="First Wazzock"]He''s too slow and has a tendancy to hoof it.[/quote]To be fair Mackay was the same.[/quote]Let''s just get this straight. Nelson is a poor man''s Doc, and Doc is a poor man''s Malky.