Sign in to follow this  
Chris.

Zak Whitbread come on down.

After hearing the sad news about ginger pele i can only imagine Whitbread was brought in for the services of next season. As we all know he is very highly rated. Lets just hope he can do a job next season !

It''s interesting. It means one of two things, IMO.

1. As you say, Lambert''s faith in Zak Whitbread is very strong and it could be him and Askou in the centre for next season, with Nelson and Spillane at the back for competition. If this is the case, expect another right back to be brought in to compete with Martin.

2. Spillane is to be kept for duty on the right with Martin and another centre back is on the way in.

Interesting stuff. Whether you agree with the move or not, it''s definitely a sign that Lambert is looking to stamp his authority in place for next season and anyone throughout the squad is vulnerable. Keeps the players on their feet, no doubt.

[quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s looked dire every time I''ve seen him.[/quote] Agreed [Y][/quote]

Harsh though, we havent seen much of him and hes been short of match fitness and very rusty.

Agreed, NCFC91. But being rather prone to injury as he is, it''s hard to know when/if he''d ever be back to his best.

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s looked dire every time I''ve seen him.[/quote] Agreed [Y][/quote]

Harsh though, we havent seen much of him and hes been short of match fitness and very rusty.

[/quote]

I don''t know if you can defend him with that though, he could be injury prone. Don''t get me wrong I have nothing against him, but personally I''d rather see the Doc in that pozsition next season.

I think Zak, will surprise a few of his detractors next season.....

I am quite confident he''ll do well in the Championship, as will Micky Nelson.....

Jeeeeesus.Take off your rose tinted spectacles! The Doc has been good this year, granted! But let us not forget the last time we were in the championship he looked poor.Whitbread can do no worse IMO.

Still think we are likely to add to the Centre Backs. The only decent one thats free i can think of is Steven Caldwell.Unless of course Lambert already has a replacement lined up.

Based on what, though, Mello? You have to admit his few appearances in a yellow jersey have not been encouraging.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I think Zak, will surprise a few of his detractors next season.....

I am quite confident he''ll do well in the Championship, as will Micky Nelson.....

[/quote]

sure hope so [;)]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Based on what, though, Mello? You have to admit his few appearances in a yellow jersey have not been encouraging.[/quote]Would you expect anyone to play well whilst suffering from injury/ coming back from injury?

Most who saw him play last season when he was fit thought he was superb..Leeds fans posted this on message boards when we signed him,saying they shouldve gone for him and is one for the future..so i will wait till i pass judgement on him freddy as like nelson and the doc this year,he could make you eat your words next season!

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Based on what, though, Mello? You have to admit his few appearances in a yellow jersey have not been encouraging.[/quote]

I was speaking to some (decent) Millwall fans in a boozer at London Bridge a few months back, for our game down there. They were all in agreement in saying that Zak is quality and they were a bit annoyed when he left. He was out for the majority of his first season with them, but when he was fit the following season, he was a very good defender and comfortable on the ball and his distribution was very good. No sour grapes and they didn''t have a bad word to say about him....

Admittedly, his appearances for us have been limited....

But, I just have a feeling that he will be a valuable player for us next season, as will Nelson.

[quote user="Henry"]Still think we are likely to add to the Centre Backs. The only decent one thats free i can think of is Steven Caldwell.Unless of course Lambert already has a replacement lined up.[/quote]I would have thought we''ll have some money to spend on transfer fees and won''t be relying entirely on free transfers.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Henry"]Still think we are likely to add to the Centre Backs. The only decent one thats free i can think of is Steven Caldwell.

Unless of course Lambert already has a replacement lined up.
[/quote]
I would have thought we''ll have some money to spend on transfer fees and won''t be relying entirely on free transfers.
[/quote]

I want mark beevers!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]there must be some players from champ squads who have been released.[/quote]

I would now be very surprised if we don''t make approaches to Caldwell (released from Burnley)

Yep - not seen much to get excited about there!

Doc for me over Whitbread so far. Mind you Zak is rusty in fairness but there won''t be much time to warm up in the Championship - he needs to hit the ground running in August...

cmon guys lets behonest doc is on massive wages from the prem and only stood out in leauge one, its not feesable. Leeds fans were gutted when we signed whitbread and i guratee when fitt will be top class.

I think Zak, will surprise a few of his detractors next season.....

Agree Mello, Ihave plenty of Milwal Scum mates and they treckon he is quality, he is composed and can pass out of the defence very well, this will stop all the hoof ball and make us play well. Still have a few doubts about Nelson, but I saw an intersting point made from Smudger that he will be a useful opponant against the bigger players and rougher teams.

Zak will be ok..yes hes been injured ........but lets face it most players get injured sometime or another...........And whats with the hes "Dire" what game/s were they? Lets face it Norfolk people hate change and getting rid of doc is change...Fact! Yes i''m from Norfolk too! Lambert knows what he doing.......its not like the Doc wont ever play again and go on the dole is it? Roll on the season starting so we can all see what is going to happen,before anyone makes rash statements on things they dont know for sure yet!

If Whitbread was as good as hes been made out to be then surely he''d of got in the team this season and stayed there?

Also seems very injury prone!

I hope he improves cause after releasing the Doc we look not strong enough at the back!

Like lambert said, the team picks itself so why would he have brought zak in to the starting line up?

Injuries have held him back too. Injury prone?

Harsh. When you comeback from

a serious injury you pick up little "niggles". That can''t be helped.

Zak is a great centre back! Just trust lambert ffs!