Sign in to follow this  
Brentwood Yellow

Robert Koren anyone?

Captain of Slovenia, certainly more than capable in the Championship........

West Bromwich Albion choose to release Robert Koren

Robert Koren

Koren scored eight times as Albion won promotion this season

West Brom have released midfielder Robert Koren after choosing not to take up an option to extend his contract by 12 months.

The 29-year-old, who is set to captain Slovenia at the World Cup, joined Albion from Norwegian club Lillestrom on a free transfer in January 2007.

He scored 22 goals in 149 appearances for the Baggies, helping them win promotion to the Premier League twice.

Albion said their depth in midfield was partly behind the decision.

Their options already include player-of-the-year Graham Dorrans, Youssouf Mulumbu, Chris Brunt, James Morrison, Jerome Thomas, Giles Barnes and Gonzalo Jara, while Borja Valero could return to The Hawthorns following his season-long loan at Real Mallorca.

Sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth told the club website: "Robert has been a great servant to the club and we would like to thank him for all his efforts.

606: DEBATE

BoingBoing1982

"He scored some important goals for us and has been very professional in everything he has done.

"However, on our return to the Premier League we have to try and get the balance of the squad right and we feel we are best served concentrating our available resources into other areas of the squad.

"We also have to be aware of the new Premier League rules regarding the number of home-grown players that must be included in the squad."

Manager Roberto Di Matteo added: "I would like to thank Robert for his contribution and professionalism and wish him well for the World Cup and the future."

Were we not linked with him before he joined WBA?

Would be an excellent signing for any Championship team.

Was coming on here to post a similar thread myself. Think he would be a fantastic signing- but gonna be pretty competitive as I imagine most clubs in the Championship will be saying the same.

[quote user="Hollywood Canary"]Was coming on here to post a similar thread myself. Think he would be a fantastic signing- but gonna be pretty competitive as I imagine most clubs in the Championship will be saying the same.[/quote]i was gonna add he would have plenty of suiters...but if we a realistic about pushing on again...these are the sort of players we should be going for aswell as hungry youngsters...im 100% sure GOD[PL] knows what he is doing[Y]

No chance of getting him I''d imagine. Can see Forest going in for him, think they''d be everyone''s first choice for next season, aside from the relegated clubs, and maybe even inculding them.

[quote user="First Wizard"]No ruddy foreingers pleas3e.[/quote]

A fair point Wiz, our history with foreign players has not been great, Hamilton signed a load and nobody could forget Big Dave And Goran Maric in a hurry! However I really believe that the fault lies with the manager and scouting team really because clearly a lot of foreign players provide a cheaper (and often better) alternative to homegrown players. I am not saying we should do an Arsenal but I am sure with Lambert at the helm, any foreign players we do get will be the "right ones" as opposed to the Strihavka''s of this world.....

Don''t see why wages would be to much of an issue if Doc was on alot. He wouldn''t come to us anyway i doubt.

"A fair point Wiz, our history with foreign players has not been great, Hamilton signed a load and nobody could forget Big Dave And Goran Maric in a hurry! However I really believe that the fault lies with the manager and scouting team really because clearly a lot of foreign players provide a cheaper (and often better) alternative to homegrown players. I am not saying we should do an Arsenal but I am sure with Lambert at the helm, any foreign players we do get will be the "right ones" as opposed to the Strihavka''s of this world....."

The risk with signing foreign players, particularly the ones we have over the years, is that we sign players from foreign leagues and often the fail to adapt.

In that sense Koren, who has played in England since 2007, is much more of a home grown player and has only the same risk as any English born player - failure to settle at a new club (rather than league).

[quote user="First Wizard"]No ruddy foreingers pleas3e.[/quote]Agreed.And if Lambert''s thinking about signing Messi or Aguero forget that as well. I want British players ONLY, preferably ones that support Norwich.

I would be very happy if Koren signed for City. When we played West Brom at home and lost 1-2 in the last minute a couple of seasons he had an outstanding game, and I''ve always thought he looked a more than decent player. But he''s nearly thirty and will surely be looking for one last good contract - whether City are in a position to offer him that is another thing entirely.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]FAO anyone going on about his wages - what wage is he on?[/quote]You would estimate for a player who has ping-ponged between Champs & Premier League, £10k/week minimum.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"]FAO anyone going on about his wages - what wage is he on?[/quote]

You would estimate for a player who has ping-ponged between Champs & Premier League, £10k/week minimum.

[/quote]

and the doc was on about the same - where is the wage issue?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"]FAO anyone going on about his wages - what wage is he on?[/quote]You would estimate for a player who has ping-ponged between Champs & Premier League, £10k/week minimum.[/quote]

[/quote]No he wasnt. Doc signed a new contract 2 years ago do you really think at that point we were handing out 10k a week deals?

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"]FAO anyone going on about his wages - what wage is he on?[/quote]

You would estimate for a player who has ping-ponged between Champs & Premier League, £10k/week minimum.

[/quote]

[/quote]
No he wasnt. Doc signed a new contract 2 years ago do you really think at that point we were handing out 10k a week deals?
[/quote]

hux was on 12k and the doc was on about the same, so yeah i guess it would be around the 10k mark.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
No he wasnt. Doc signed a new contract 2 years ago do you really think at that point we were handing out 10k a week deals?
[/quote]

hux was on 12k and the doc was on about the same, so yeah i guess it would be around the 10k mark.

[/quote]

nahhh, Do was defnately on  lower contrat, like King Canary was tryin to explain Doc signed a new contract at a time when our league position wasn''t so strong, and I''m sure the extension woul have seen a fall in his wages too.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]No ruddy foreingers pleas3e.[/quote]

A fair point Wiz, our history with foreign players has not been great, Hamilton signed a load and nobody could forget Big Dave And Goran Maric in a hurry! However I really believe that the fault lies with the manager and scouting team really because clearly a lot of foreign players provide a cheaper (and often better) alternative to homegrown players. I am not saying we should do an Arsenal but I am sure with Lambert at the helm, any foreign players we do get will be the "right ones" as opposed to the Strihavka''s of this world.....

[/quote]

The difference is Koren is proven in this country at this level, he always looks a class act when I''ve seen him