Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Russell To Leeds

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Harry"]The season after he left us for Stoke we got promoted to the Prem, the season after he rejoined us from Stoke they got promoted to the Prem, hmmm let''s hope the pattern continues if he does go.[/quote]

not going to happen. Who would we replae him with?

[/quote]Thats not Rusty''s problem, is it?He''s out of contract and free to do as he likes.

If he goes then sobeit, won''t be losing any sleep over it.  It''s all a matter of how much he loves being at Norwich City, would he be prepared to take a small drop in wages to stay at a club he professes to love playing at?

Time will tell.

[quote user="Lambo"]I''d love to see Abdou come in to replace him if he goes.[/quote]

I''m with you there Lambo! hoola''s worst performance came at millwall away and even jimmy abdou''s "stopper" instructions made way for offensive stuff and he florished into spraying one or two passes around from the back himself.

come on terriers (as i think millwall will do swidon or cafc at wemberlee) and we can have him next season. As competitions to rusty or gill - i care not. In Lambert I  trust.

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="Lambo"]I''d love to see Abdou come in to replace him if he goes.[/quote]
Whats the obsession with Abdou on here?
Is he really any good?
[/quote]

I live in south London so have seen him a few times and have many dirty millwal pals who have seen him more frequently (who know there footy) who rate him highly - so reiterate my point - yes - i''d love to see him at cara next seaso.

he''s got that "Essien engine"

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

[quote user="Askounin"][quote user="Lambo"]I''d love to see Abdou come in to replace him if he goes.[/quote]
Is he really any good?
[/quote]

I live in south London so have seen him a few times and have many dirty millwal pals who have seen him more frequently (who know there footy) who rate him highly - so reiterate my point - yes - i''d love to see him at cara next seaso.

[/quote]

there should have be their - damn that last pint!

[quote user="spencer 1970"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

Is he really any good?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i''m going to bed

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

If he goes then sobeit, won''t be losing any sleep over it.  It''s all a matter of how much he loves being at Norwich City, would he be prepared to take a small drop in wages to stay at a club he professes to love playing at?

Time will tell.

[/quote]

Agreed. One of Lambert`s strength`s as a managers seems to be getting players performing at their best and working for each  other. In that sort of set up we do not need  players  that would  prefer to be elsewhere. I  like Russell, when he is really giving of his  best he is excellent imo, he  is  certainly not irreplacable however. 

In fairness if they are signing him then I would say it has more to do with bigger offers coming in for the likes of Snodgrass. I say that because without being to harsh to Darrel I wouldn''t drop Snodgrass for him.

We shall see how it all turns out. If Russel does go we have his young understudy in Kory Smith.

For me it depends on whether Lambert would like to give the diamond a go or not in the Championship.If he does then I feel he needs to pull out all of the stops to sign a very good left footed midfielder who can play on the left point of the diamond or in centre midfield if needed.  Somebody who is strong in the tackle and can chip in with a few goals per season.  For me Hughes is far too weak for the base of the diamond and should be a slightly more defensive minded option to Hoolahan at the tip of this midfield formation which has worked so well for Lambert so far.Korey and Spillane are both capable of playing down the right hand side or the in the centre if needed, so the vital signing of a left footer (as above) and an out and out right winger should in my opinion be the main two targets in midfield for us this summer - plus getting Russell to sign a new contract.This is all coming from somebody who has been a bit of a critic of Darel Russell in the past, but I really can''t see us getting much better to play at the base of the diamond unless we are willing to spend approx £1 million plus or get very lucky indeed!Of course I understand that we cant just offer him whatever wages he may request, but I would hope that Lambert realises his importance to his favoured system and does his best to retain his services during the summer.

[quote user="chicken"]

In fairness if they are signing him then I would say it has more to do with bigger offers coming in for the likes of Snodgrass. I say that because without being to harsh to Darrel I wouldn''t drop Snodgrass for him.

We shall see how it all turns out. If Russel does go we have his young understudy in Kory Smith.

[/quote]Totally different types of player... so I think you are well wide of the mark with that one mate.

Why all the sudden hated for darel? Russel is a key player and if not our best. Average Players??? Ok then might aswell start from scratch. Some people are sooo clueless. Average Championship players is Exactly what we need.

[quote user="cityislife"]Why all the sudden hated for darel? Russel is a key player and if not our best. Average Players??? Ok then might aswell start from scratch. Some people are sooo clueless. Average Championship players is Exactly what we need.

[/quote]

It makes me laugh how clueless some people are. Russell doesn''t score enough goals in a CDM position. He wouldn''t be missed. He did poor in the championship even though he played up front most of the season so we don''t need him for his proper position.

[quote user="G"]

[quote user="cityislife"]Why all the sudden hated for darel? Russel is a key player and if not our best. Average Players??? Ok then might aswell start from scratch. Some people are sooo clueless. Average Championship players is Exactly what we need. [/quote]

It makes me laugh how clueless some people are. Russell doesn''t score enough goals in a CDM position. He wouldn''t be missed. He did poor in the championship even though he played up front most of the season so we don''t need him for his proper position.

[/quote]You do know what CDM stands for? and where on the pitch the CDM plays?? The only players lower on the goals expectation list that a CDM are the goalkeeper and defenders. So to say Darel doesn''t score many goals is hardly a fair critisism.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="chicken"]

[/quote]

Totally different types of player... so I think you are well wide of the mark with that one mate.
[/quote]

Are they? When Delph was in the team Snodgrass played a deeper role - I suppose you could say he played a more attacking role this season.

The thing is Russell could go to better and if what he has said in the past is anything to go by, he would like to be playing at a higher level or closer to London where he is from.

He is free to talk to who he likes at the moment which is always a nervous position as fans to be in but he has to do what is right for him. I''m not convinced that Leeds are going to do better than us this coming season - they will have to go some. They have released a few players and they have kept Hughes on who is average at this level at best. With Beckford as good as gone it leaves them with Beccio who has been linked with other teams before now and if he does well may well go in January.

The only issue for me is they can offer more money and at 29 he isnt getting any younger and one final pay-day may be more ideal. However what they don''t have is the Lambert effect. He brought him in out of the cold and didn''t play him as a striker! He has become a role model to younger players coming through like Smith and what it will come down to now is who he thinks is more likely to get him a shot at Premiership football.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="G"]

[quote user="cityislife"]Why all the sudden hated for darel? Russel is a key player and if not our best. Average Players??? Ok then might aswell start from scratch. Some people are sooo clueless. Average Championship players is Exactly what we need.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You do know what CDM stands for? and where on the pitch the CDM plays?? The only players lower on the goals expectation list that a CDM are the goalkeeper and defenders. So to say Darel doesn''t score many goals is hardly a fair critisism.
[/quote]

Sorry, you have misunderstood me, that is some of the reasons some people have given for thinking he is a load of crap.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]It could all blow up in Lambert''s face at this rate[/quote]

Yawn...... another classic post from Norfolkbroadslim, full of insight and hope for the new season.....

Next from this literary genius.... a blog in the East Anglian Daily Times

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Average midfielder who doesn''t score anywhere near enough goals for someone who is supposed to be attacking. Bye Darel, thanks for your efforts. You''ll fit in well with the Dirty Leeds.

Come in Korey Smith, time to step up to the plate.

[/quote]

good job he played as a defensive midfielder then? do you watch the games?

yep, wouldnt miss him if he went.has always been an average midfielder....can tackle sure but doesnt really have the discipline. Im sure tricky championship midfielders will see him picking up a lot of yellow cards.He wasnt good enough first time he was here....we got rid and then had a central midfield (most important part of a Championship side) that took us up the league.  Exactly the same happened at Stoke.  All depends on where we are aiming, but since Russell''s ability to pass is League one standard at best, id much rather have Hughes running the midfield.  We obviously need to give hughes some bite around him but Korey on the right of a central 3 and perhaps lappin or a newbie on left should aid the situation.As others have mentioned its probably all about value for money.....if we are picking up Crofts from Brighton on say 2/3k a week less than Rusty then we have a little extra to chuck on a keeper''s wages.Abdou, Bailey and others have also been mentioned...presumably commanding a similar pay packet but id say a marked improvement.Hughes can offer us the Mulyrne vision of old, Korey the drive, and if we can sign someone in the Francis mould then we will have a very competetive midfield.

[quote user="6088m canary"]yep, wouldnt miss him if he went.
has always been an average midfielder....can tackle sure but doesnt really have the discipline. Im sure tricky championship midfielders will see him picking up a lot of yellow cards.
He wasnt good enough first time he was here....we got rid and then had a central midfield (most important part of a Championship side) that took us up the league.  Exactly the same happened at Stoke.  All depends on where we are aiming, but since Russell''s ability to pass is League one standard at best, id much rather have Hughes running the midfield.  We obviously need to give hughes some bite around him but Korey on the right of a central 3 and perhaps lappin or a newbie on left should aid the situation.
As others have mentioned its probably all about value for money.....if we are picking up Crofts from Brighton on say 2/3k a week less than Rusty then we have a little extra to chuck on a keeper''s wages.

Abdou, Bailey and others have also been mentioned...presumably commanding a similar pay packet but id say a marked improvement.

Hughes can offer us the Mulyrne vision of old, Korey the drive, and if we can sign someone in the Francis mould then we will have a very competetive midfield.
[/quote]

I disagree, his passing must be pretty good because he set us on most of are attacks, breaking up play and picking out a pass, i don''t see Hughes as much of a good tackler so the defencive midfield position wouldn''t suit him but i would be happy to see him in the centre of a flat midfield if he was more consistent. If we replace Russell with someone young, hungry and plays in the same position as Rusty, i would be happy. I think dropping down a league may have kick started a few people career off again.

Hughes should come into his own next season. He is, in fact, a good tackler but has suffered through injury and not having the benefit of a long run in the side.

Anyone who was at The Valley could see what Hughes can offer. He had to adapt to that defensive formation and worked his socks off to great effect. He also had a superb ''goal'' disallowed.

I wouldn''t mind Rusty here for next season but would only offer a small increase in wages and if he''s not happy he can go.

Lambo said when he first came here that there was too little pace throughout the side and too many players of similar types. We will now see how he is going to solve the problem

[quote user="kdncfc"]Russell is another player like Doc for me, has had a very good season in league 1 but I don''t think he''s good enough for a team hoping to be pushing for a place in the top 6 of the Championship. [/quote]

Spot on - this point was proved when we went down.