Sign in to follow this  
If I had the wings of  a sparrow

Carnival @ Birmingham why?

Why try to re-create an atmosphere that can only help the home side, my memories of Cardiff are

Great stadium & great Norwich support.

A devestating defeat, ignorant Brum fans running on the pitch, Brum fans being rude & hostile after the game.  Believe me if Norwich had won that day there fans would not have been gracious in defeat & there would have been trouble after the game & the presentation of the Cup would have been spoilt.  As soon as Iwan scored that day their fans started spoiling for a fight.

So sorry no carnival for me just the undying support for the only club I give a stuff about.

[quote]Why try to re-create an atmosphere that can only help the home side, my memories of Cardiff are Great stadium & great Norwich support. A devestating defeat, ignorant Brum fans running on the pit...[/quote]

Exactly I.I.H.T.W and well put!. But I very much doubt other''s will see it like us.

I''ve never really got over that awful bloody day, and I don''t wish to be reminded of it, thank you very much, other then sweet revenge this week of course.

And remember this: Revenge is a dish best served cold!.

for god''s sake, are we never going to get over the fact brum won and we didn''t?  Were they really ungracious to us afterwards, no - we happened to park at cardiff''s ground (which was their car park for the day) so walked back amongst them in their thousands, not one of them had a go at us, in fact they were friendly and wished us well next season

i am not pretending it would have been different had we won, but they weren''t that bad on that particular day, at their place it is usually a different story, granted, but we do really have to put what happened on that day behind us and move on, we are both now premiership clubs, so let''s just go to their place and out sing them, as we have been doing at other grounds all season

first wiz, why do we want revenge, they went up as a result of a penalty shoot out, we went up because we were the best team in the league over the whole season, i know which i am most proud of

Totally agree. I posted something similar on the NCFC board yesterday.

If we''d have won it would''ve been totally different. It''s also very condescending to celebrate our defeat and again they wouldn''t be joining in if they''d lost.

I''m totally against it.

Mixed feeling on this one.  Like Gazza I walked back to the car parks amonst thousands of their fans and they all smiled, wished us luck, shook hands, patted us on the back, said they were lucky and what a great team we had etc. etc.   You might be right that it would have been different if they had lost, but I doubt it.

Why would you want to go to their place in a hostile mood anyway?  Surely that''s looking for trouble.  

I also agree that we need to stop dwelling on the past and just get on with the job in hand.  We were nearly men 2 seaons ago, now we are the 1st Division Champions.

Sorry Gazza obviously you are right as always & I must be lying about there fans running on the pitch, there mood change when Iwan scored & there attitude towards me & my family after the game.  This is not living in the past these are just things that I saw maybe I got unlucky but they did not leave me with nice thoughts of Birmingham fans.  Quite frankly I am not jealous of them & can accept that we were beaten in a penalty shoot out as my post was not about the result that day but WAS about there fans behaviour.

Also in the past they tried to smash my brothers car up when we beat them 4-0 at St Andrews a few years back. About 8 years ago after making them welcome in our local pub just before they left they stole pictures from our Landlady''s & we had to go & confront them to retrieve the pictures.

So sorry I do not like Brum fans whether you like it or not.

I''ve been to St.Andrews twice and have to say that my memories of the Brum fans I''ve encountered are similar to those of IIHTW...

The atmosphere at the ground is one of pure hostility that goes way beyond being intimidating. The attitude and aggro you get through the fences on the way in and out of the ground borders on the unacceptable (especially when you consider we were soundly beaten on both occasions).

I''m sure that there must be decent Brum fans out there too, but my experience to date makes me think they''re best avoided. Hence celebrating a game where the only reason it didn''t kick off afterwards was because Birmingham won, really doesn''t appeal to me at all.

[quote]Mixed feeling on this one. Like Gazza I walked back to the car parks amonst thousands of their fans and they all smiled, wished us luck, shook hands, patted us on the back, said they were lucky and w...[/quote]

Stevenage Fan: Try not to put words in our mouth my friend. At no time did any of us anti posters say we''re going to Birmingham in a hostile mood!.

My term ''revenge'' referred to City taking 3 valuable points, no more, no less.

And to make up a little for the disappointment felt at Cardiff, sorry Gazza. And that''s a lot different to hostile.

As is usually the case, the reality is somewhere inbetween the two sides here. There''s no question that St Andrew''s is a very nasty place to go, and not just the ground. Those of you who have ever filled up your car in the area will know. I don''t know if this is still the case but in 2001 petrol stations there were requiring you to pay BEFORE you filled up your car!

On the other hand, i have heard many good stories of how, in general, the brum fans behaved on play off day 2002.

What i will add though, is that the attitude of Steve Bruce that day did insense me. He didn''t give a flying toss about us, offered no word of sympathy or mention of our performance, and even said when questioned in an interview, "and what about Norwich?" that he didn''t want to talk about the opposition, just to focus on "what we''ve achieved here today." That alone, is enough for me to really want us to stick it to him on Saturday.

sorry Wiz it wasn''t directed at you personally, it was a generalisation.  I made the mistake of assuming that the opposite to happy carnival mood would be hostile defensive mood.

Having read the replies I can see it from both sides.  I did say at the start I had mixed feelings and was just expressing my personal experience of Brum fans as others have gone on to do.  If you have had a bad experience then fine you will look at them all negatively, I didn''t witness anything at Cardiff that would give me a bad impression of them, but I wasn''t near them actually in the stadium.   I have never been to St Andrews, so don''t have as much of an informed opinion of some.  I have been to Birmingham millions of times though and been to Villa and never had a bad experience including when tanked up out on the town with a cockney accent.

[quote]As is usually the case, the reality is somewhere inbetween the two sides here. There''s no question that St Andrew''s is a very nasty place to go, and not just the ground. Those of you who have ever fil...[/quote]

a1canary, I wasn''t aware that Steve Bruce was so ungracious, I never really liked the guy and i hope we give him something to moan about on Saturday night.

[quote]Sorry Gazza obviously you are right as always & I must be lying about there fans running on the pitch, there mood change when Iwan scored & there attitude towards me & my family after the ...[/quote]

if i had the wings....

i am perplexed as to the personal attack to be honest,  "Right as always?" where was i saying you were wrong?  - i don''t think i am any more correct than anyone else - i was relating my day at cardiff, not yours and i have to agree going to their place is not the nicest day out, but you cannot label everyone who supports a team equally, there are less friendly fans of all teams, including ours!

in fact, without going into full details, i have been threatened with physical violence by norwich fans on more than one occasion, but chose to believe it is the person, not the football team they support, that i should avoid.

i won''t be going to birmingham this saturday as i have other commitments, but i have been in the past and not particularly enjoyed it, therefore the people i met at cardiff have gone a long way to making me think again about stereotyping everyone who supports a team in one way based on a few experiences.

I have to say I''m on the anti brum side. I have been to St Andrews many times. The atmosphere is very unpleasant. I have some binner friends (sorry folks) and they have had similar experiences including Wolves - surprise surprise.

We had terrible problems at Cardiff, particularly before the game when we had to walk past them to get to our supporters. It''s an unpleasant thing to say but they sounded and acted as if they were from another planet. As I am an animal lover that it is the only way I can describe them.  I was, however, really proud of our supporters that day.

I was interested in ''Stevenage''s'' comment regarding Villa. It really is strange but I have never encountered any problems at Villa Park either.

Not sure whether I can bring myself to go to St Andrews. Vowed that I would never go there again but........ the call of Y''Army may just be too strong!!

I must say that when we and my dad aka knowhatimean went to Cardiff the Birmingham supporters were awesome both before and after the match. I think it will be a good day for football on Saturday if it is anything like May 2002... just gutted i cannot be there for it.

I''ve been impressed with the number of B''Ham fans who came on to the official messageboards last season wishing us luck. I see no reason not to enjoy a day out against a set of fans that share a common, momentous day. If you want to sulk and have a go at fans then there are another 18 teams you can do it against...

Did anyone else walking back to the train station see that drunken twat in the middle of the road, he was calling us every name under the sun, and was screaming as loud as he could that while they would be going to grounds like old trafford, we would be going to places like Grimsby...  just as he was thinking of something else to scream at us..... a car came round the bend and hit him, me, my 2 sons and all the Norwich fans around us roared with laughter, that went some way towards cheering me back up.

I must say that before the game all the brum fans we met were good natured, but i knew that if we had won, it would`nt have been the same after the game,

and yes i`ve also been to st andrews, but i swear never again

Gazza I don'' want a slanging match but in your first comment you stated

for god''s sake, are we never going to get over the fact brum won and we didn''t?  Were they really ungracious to us afterwards, no.

This line alone was annoying for the following reasons.

1) I am sure all Norwich fans are over the fact that we lost & you are missing the point.  My comments were not about the result that day but their fans behaviour.

2) Were they really ungracious to us afterwards, no.  Is that no. because you had a lovely day out & all their fans are saints in your eyes because in mine they are on a par with Ips**t & Wolves.

[quote]I have to say I''m on the anti brum side. I have been to St Andrews many times. The atmosphere is very unpleasant. I have some binner friends (sorry folks) and they have had similar experiences includi...[/quote]

Bury Yellow: Would that be the same Villa, who''s supporters smashed every single window on our coach, after City won 1 nil, in an opening game there many years ago. (Kenny Foggo winner?)

Yes, it was a long time ago, but I''ve never forgot the ring of mounted police as they tried to protect us that day.

once bitten my friend...............