Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

my debt of gratitude to lappin

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]nobody else wanted the sack of c***[/quote]

Well Motherwell did but Roeder was holding out for a bit more money than they were prepared to offer. Bit of a contradiction from Roeder there. Publicly stating a player was crap yet not willing to let him go for a nominal fee. Fair to play to the guy. There was nothing keeping here in reality when Roeder was in charge. He publicly belittled and humiliated and yet he hung around. I am delighted he did. Not the most spectacular player but a solid performer. He works hard, has contributed 10 assists through good deliveries into the box and gives us nice balance down the left. Only criticism I can have is that he should have chipped in with one or two goals given the chances he has had. But ultimately I guess the most impressive statistic of all is how much Lambert trusts him. He has picked him 50 times this season. More than any other player. That underlines his importance to the team for me.

I seriously fail to see what he has contributed to the team this season.  His crossing has got worse, he can''t tackle without fouling his opponent, he spends more time marking open space, and he would stand a better chance of scoring if they moved the goal to the corner flag.  An average left sided midfielder who I would not be sorry to see leave.

[quote user="silver fox"]I seriously fail to see what he has contributed to the team this season.  His crossing has got worse, he can''t tackle without fouling his opponent, he spends more time marking open space, and he would stand a better chance of scoring if they moved the goal to the corner flag.  An average left sided midfielder who I would not be sorry to see leave.[/quote]

Are you Smudger''s girlfriend by any chance?

I like Lappin, solid dependable player, & a thoroughly decent bloke too.

[quote user="Lambo"]I like Lappin, solid dependable player, & a thoroughly decent bloke too.[/quote]^^^ This.

Arguably our most consistent performer last year. No thrills but we always looked a far better team when he was on the pitch. Mr Reliable. Agree with sentiments of the OP.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="silver fox"]I seriously fail to see what he has contributed to the team this season.  His crossing has got worse, he can''t tackle without fouling his opponent, he spends more time marking open space, and he would stand a better chance of scoring if they moved the goal to the corner flag.  An average left sided midfielder who I would not be sorry to see leave.[/quote]

[/quote]haha would you Tilly??? [:P]

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

Well Motherwell did but Roeder was holding out for a bit more money than they were prepared to offer. Bit of a contradiction from Roeder there. Publicly stating a player was crap yet not willing to let him go for a nominal fee. Fair to play to the guy. There was nothing keeping here in reality when Roeder was in charge. He publicly belittled and humiliated and yet he hung around. I am delighted he did. Not the most spectacular player but a solid performer. He works hard, has contributed 10 assists through good deliveries into the box and gives us nice balance down the left. Only criticism I can have is that he should have chipped in with one or two goals given the chances he has had. But ultimately I guess the most impressive statistic of all is how much Lambert trusts him. He has picked him 50 times this season. More than any other player. That underlines his importance to the team for me.

[/quote]

Well actually it was Simon Lappin who wanted "a bit more money", which perhaps says all that needs to be said.

What is this myth that he stuck around whilst being treated so poorly? He didn''t deserve a place in the team and only stuck around because no-one else would pay him the same wages. He can deliver a decent dead ball, and that''s it. Rubbish in the tackle and a liability when we''re on the back foot. Seems a decent bloke but that''s not what we pay him for. He''ll be found out yet again in the Champ unless Lambert gets rid, which I fully expect him to.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]+1[/quote]

Strange to have a debt of gratitude to someone who has not been cosistent in a positive way, reliable or someone to count on.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]23/04/10

When I say consistent I mean consistently reliable.. consistently someone we can count on.

With Russell, Holt, and Forster we couldn''t do that because they have had red cards and suspensions and missed games.
With Drury, and Hoolahan they''ve been injured so they missed games.
Martin has been terrific but by no means consistently terrific.
Lappin hasn''t been consistent at all. At least not in a positive way.

Forsters kicking has been consistently poor..
Corey is about as close as it gets to being consistent like Doherty has... but when you compare them I think most people would put Doherty as being the winner.

[/quote]

[quote user="SPat"]What is this myth that he stuck around whilst being treated so poorly? He didn''t deserve a place in the team and only stuck around because no-one else would pay him the same wages. He can deliver a decent dead ball, and that''s it. Rubbish in the tackle and a liability when we''re on the back foot. Seems a decent bloke but that''s not what we pay him for. He''ll be found out yet again in the Champ unless Lambert gets rid, which I fully expect him to.
[/quote]  It is always nice to see a fellow supporter who recognises a mediocre player when he sees one.  Some posters on here must watch a different player to me, and I stick by my guns that Lappin is nothing more than an average left sided player.  He played more games than most because he never got injured.  You actually have to get stuck in and tackle an opponent, which he very rarely did.  Hughes, Smith, McNamee, Hoolahan all played less games in midfield, but all managed to score more than 50 game Lappin.  There is definitely a Scottish club that would benefit from his talents.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]No just a long time City supporter who recognises an average player when I see one.

A debt of gratitude for picking up more per week than many people in the UK get monthly, and doing sod all for the privilege (under Roeder at least)???WTF is the world coming to with thinking like this?Nothing personal against Lappin, or any other player here for that matter, but the only time I''d be offering gratitude is if they''d done something particularly special or important for the benefit of the club and it''s fans - ie us. Players who choose to stay here out of love for the club instead of taking bigger money to move elsewhere deserve plaudits, players who offer to take large wage cuts or no wage at all to help out in times of crisis deserve plaudits, players who sit in the reserves for months on end purely because they''d rather do that than take a pay cut to play regularly again elsewhere...errr no.FFS, even the lower paid squad members get a damn good wage from this club and if anything they should be owing us a debt for providing them with that, not having us feeling sorry for some guy languishing in the reserves because the manager doesn''t think he''s up to the job (whilst still paying him good money for nothing).

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Who knows tilly but he''s bloody clueless![/quote] I never said Lappin was clueless, just an average left sided midfielder who did not make a significant contribution in any game I watched home and away.  I am sure there is a league 1 or Scottish team that would love to have him in their side.  I guess you are the type of supporter that believes Cureton and McVeigh also made a significant contribution last season.  If Lappin starts as first choice left midfield next season then I will retract my statements, but I am confident Lambert will bring in someone to replace Lappin in that position.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

I guess every area of football is all about opinion. On the managerial front we are extremely fortunate to have landed ourselves with a talented, ambitious individual who has struck up a fantastic rapport with the supporters and realises the special nature of the Club. He replaced a big-headed, arrogant, egotist who seemed to have the opinion that the Club just didn''t know how lucky it was to have him. I have every confidence in PL and he must be given all the support possible - the promised land beckons.

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Who knows tilly but he''s bloody clueless![/quote] I never said Lappin was clueless, just an average left sided midfielder who did not make a significant contribution in any game I watched home and away.  I am sure there is a league 1 or Scottish team that would love to have him in their side.  I guess you are the type of supporter that believes Cureton and McVeigh also made a significant contribution last season.  If Lappin starts as first choice left midfield next season then I will retract my statements, but I am confident Lambert will bring in someone to replace Lappin in that position.[/quote]

I might have a varying opinion, but I gotta respect someone with the username ''silver fox''!