Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

What's The Worst Miss You've Seen Involving Norwich?

Following Saloman Kalou''s awful miss from about 4 yards it got me thinking about the worst miss I have seen in a game featuring the Canaries. I narrowed it down to three contenders. Dean Coney against Liverpool when he had virtually all of the goal open yet somehow still managed to find Bruce Gobbelar. Ray Houghton in our 3rd place season deserves an honourable mention when he rounded Gunny only to fire wide of an unguarded net. However I think that Sheff United goalmouth scramble still takes the biscuit. Just wondering what shockers other people can recall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z1WqgaWAI

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Doc must have missed a sitter at some point.[/quote]Early on at home to Southampton in August 2007 - the ball came to him from a set-piece and from close range, fired it against the bar when it was probably easier to score.  Truly shocking [:@]

One that I remember really well was away at Man City (carling cup) a few years ago now.. We played really well, and deserved to be infront.. The ball came to the back of the box, about 4 yards out, open goal, right infront of us, and Cureton hit the post [:(] Just to top it off, Samaras went down the other end just after and scored in the 94th minute or something, was so gutted [:(]

Miss Canary Cue Club 2001 wasn''t up to much. I thought the bloke who came second had better legs

Ian Henderson against Reading in Jan 2006. About two yards out he somehow put it wide. We lost 4-0, because of the shit parking around the Madejski we missed the first 20 minutes getting in just in time to see them take the lead. When Henderson missed that chance, never have I seen more abuse aimed at a single player, even when counting opponents.

Craig Fleming missed a sitter against Stoke away in the promotion winning season. Also - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z1WqgaWAI[/url]Yellow nets - lush.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I thought it was Garry Parker in that game against Villa in 93? A classic though![/quote]

Yeah sorry it was. I think Houghton put him in on goal.

This Ronnie Rosenthal mis.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0

Norwich??? Been quite a few over my many years........will have a think and get back to you, Curetons missed some bad ones......I will think of one you will all remember hopefully.

Zema Abbey missed an absolute sitter away at Derby when we lost 2-1 due to Greeno''s miss kick. I can''t remember what the score was at the time, but i was livid.

The most painful has to be Flecky against Brum a few years ago, when he beat the ''keeper to a ball in the air and it trickled onto the post. That looked destined to go in from where i was... I was already up and celebrating!

[quote user="The Irish Messi"]Cock up between Cureton and Lupoli start of 2008/09 season has it for me.[/quote]Yeah that was a shocker. Curo for some reason squaring it t a startled Lupoli who sends it wide.

Can''t remember any particular miss but Cureton must have missed at least a dozen chances that my grandmother would have put away during our last season in the Championship, don''t think I can ever remember a striker missing so many easy chances in a season for us since Darren Beckford and Dean Coney were around. I know most would say you can''t blame a single player if you get relegated but Cureton could have single handedly kept us up even if he''d have stuck a couple of the sitters he missed away.

Not so much a miss in the end i guess as mike milligan scored eventually, but 93/94 (maybe 94/95?) away v aston villa. I think eadie hit the post with virtually an open goal and mike sheron slammed the rebound onto the bar from about a yard out. Villa failed to clear and milligan then headed in.

[quote user="dean coney"]Not so much a miss in the end i guess as mike milligan scored eventually, but 93/94 (maybe 94/95?) away v aston villa. I think eadie hit the post with virtually an open goal and mike sheron slammed the rebound onto the bar from about a yard out. Villa failed to clear and milligan then headed in.
[/quote]

I remember that. We got there in the end but it was pretty woeful. That even made it onto Nick Hancock''s Football Nightmares I seem to remember. Think it was the year we went down so 94/95. Finishing like that probably explains why...

Cureton, last year or the year before last. Playing Coventry at home when they were playing in black, may have been 1-0 down at that point (it''s likely), someone works their way into the box to the right of the goal and squares it to the calling Cureton. He then procceds to manage to only glance the almost static ball wide and ends up on his backside. Predatory.

If it was an inch higher, Matt Pattisons goal against Ipswich would have been one of the worst.

Lee Croft''s miss at QPR was a bit special. It was in the 3-3 draw when Martin Hunter was in charge for his only game.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Lee Croft''s miss at QPR was a bit special. It was in the 3-3 draw when Martin Hunter was in charge for his only game.

[/quote]

Yes, this one for me too - from about a yard our POS (!) from last year managed to put it wide. I was sitting behind the Directors box where our new manager Peter Grant was sitting with Delia and as he walked past us at the end of the game I said that he might need to get Croft doing some finishing practice on the training field. He just smiled - probably realised already what a crap player Croft was.

The worst miss was Shearer for Newcastle in the home game of our premiership season. My head was already in my hands assuming it had gone in but somehow I heard the river end laugh and he''d put it wide...anyone remember?