Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

[quote user="kdncfc"]If wages were the problem he''d have been released last year.[/quote]

Not if his contract ran out this year.

[quote user="Mazy Run"][quote user="kdncfc"]If wages were the problem he''d have been released last year.[/quote]

Not if his contract ran out this year.[/quote]

It ran out both years. This time last season he signed up to a year long extension that had been offered by Roeder.

It is decisions like this that marks a successful Manager. Whatever the reasons for his departure, if we truly want to be a top six club with eventual Premier ambitions we need better quality players than Doc in that most important of positions.

As far as I''m concerned this is an indication of the clubs intentions. Just hold on people, we haven''t been used to these type of decisions for many many years.

We have a totally different mindset in this club from Chairman, Chief Exec downwards so we better get used to it and enjoy the ride!

Just read Smudgers post, and having observed all his posts I really hope he has played football at a very high level - hope you have Smudger, because you really seem like you know everything.  Take it you were a defender nor goalkeeper.

So when did Peterborough win league1? so russell martin has 1 league one winners medal..........................get ya facts straight first!

I don''t think Martin''s lack of a winners medal makes a difference to the point he was making, does it cosmos?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]It is decisions like this that marks a successful Manager. Whatever the reasons for his departure, if we truly want to be a top six club with eventual Premier ambitions we need better quality players than Doc in that most important of positions. As far as I''m concerned this is an indication of the clubs intentions. Just hold on people, we haven''t been used to these type of decisions for many many years. We have a totally different mindset in this club from Chairman, Chief Exec downwards so we better get used to it and enjoy the ride![/quote]

Then we need to get a whole new 4 then cos he was the best centre half we had

first season down from the prem he got player of the season and we finished 8th? so he was good enough then just not now?

This could be a very bad decision by Lambert

Seeing as he is now 30 I do wonder if the Doc might not have been looking for a decent, longer term contract. If PL wasn''t sure about him at the start of a League One season then he is definitely not going to be sure about him at the start of a Championship season, and beyond.There are lots of potential reasons. We might never know the actual one.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]It is decisions like this that marks a successful Manager. Whatever the reasons for his departure, if we truly want to be a top six club with eventual Premier ambitions we need better quality players than Doc in that most important of positions. As far as I''m concerned this is an indication of the clubs intentions. Just hold on people, we haven''t been used to these type of decisions for many many years. We have a totally different mindset in this club from Chairman, Chief Exec downwards so we better get used to it and enjoy the ride![/quote]

That maybe the case but since the Doc was one of best players, one of the best players in the League as voted by other players, your theory means that we''ll need a completely new team next season!

Doherty has previously proved he is not good enough at championship standard.

Time to move on and Lambert is spot on with his decision to realease these players

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

first season down from the prem he got player of the season and we finished 8th? so he was good enough then just not now?

[/quote]

I actually think it''s very hard to see us signing someone better than the Doc. Even after all these years I think there''s a fair few people who still don''t realise how good he is.

Hopefully Lambert has got something lined up but but in terms of stature/prestige and, more importantly, finances are we in a positon to sign a better play in that position?

Surely we will get a player who can do a good enough job but...

I think some people who don''t think the Doc is up to it are going to learn the hard way.

We do know that if there wasn''t a injury to our defence, Doc would''ve gone a few months back.  Which indicates (to me anyway) that he must''ve been on good money.  Now as far as cash/wages go Lambert must think he could get greater value else where from a different player.  IMO.

I never said it did, did i? I just merely pointed out he has only 1 medal ...............for winning league 1 ..............i just put the fact straight ..............sorry for breathing!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[/quote]

I actually think it''s very hard to see us signing someone better than the Doc. Even after all these years I think there''s a fair few people who still don''t realise how good he is.

Hopefully Lambert has got something lined up but but in terms of stature/prestige and, more importantly, finances are we in a positon to sign a better play in that position?

Surely we will get a player who can do a good enough job but...

I think some people who don''t think the Doc is up to it are going to learn the hard way.

Spot on!

I said on another thread that to replace the Doc we''d have to spend  lot of money which aparently haven''t got!

Not just his ability we''ll miss. The Doc liked being at the club and was very motivated - these atributes are not always easy to find in players!

[/quote]

I find it all odd really.  At times in the Championship Doc was a flippin liability but it''s all forgotten.Lambert who we all think walks on water, makes a decision to get shot, people line up to defend Doc because all of a sudden he''s brilliant. 

[quote user="kdncfc"]Some people are going way over the top over the release of Doherty, he''s been here 6 years now and in truth he''s had one very good season at a lower level and 5 average to poor ones as part of a defence that''s conceded far to many goals at a higher level. There''s no room for sentiment in football and if we want to push towards the top end of the championship we will need better defenders than Gary Doherty. Right decision by Lambert imo, Doc has had his time here and we should wish him good luck and move on.[/quote]

He was actually player of the season in one of those five average to poor seasons. In any case you could say the same about Drury. Personally I''d rather keep Doc and let Drury go.

[quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]You.  Sorry.[/quote]

Can I just ask how unearth do you think he is a good defender?  Anyone who has watched Norwich over the past few seasons in the Championship with half a footballing brain cell would see that he is complete and utter rubbish!

[/quote]If you actually get your head out of your arse for a second and read mine and other peoples'' posts you may get your answer.  I''m sorry but coming out with the sort of stuff you have done tonight doesn''t make you look particularly intelligent.  I mean, "complete and utter rubbish"?  Really?  Or is it more hysterical nonsense, like you claiming that Cody McDonald is miles better than Oli Johnson?There is one person in our discussion who doesn''t know what they are talking about and it isn''t me.

[quote user="Boyo"]  He has found his level, [/quote]

Yup, because that''s how professional football works.

You play at a higher level for the best part of 10 years and then all of a sudden it turns out that''s not your level.

Deary me, you really are quite clueless.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Boyo"]  He has found his level, [/quote]

Yup, because that''s how professional football works.

You play at a higher level for the best part of 10 years and then all of a sudden it turns out that''s not your level.

Deary me, you really are quite clueless.

[/quote]

completely agreed [Y]

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="kdncfc"]Some people are going way over the top over the release of Doherty, he''s been here 6 years now and in truth he''s had one very good season at a lower level and 5 average to poor ones as part of a defence that''s conceded far to many goals at a higher level. There''s no room for sentiment in football and if we want to push towards the top end of the championship we will need better defenders than Gary Doherty. Right decision by Lambert imo, Doc has had his time here and we should wish him good luck and move on.[/quote]

He was actually player of the season in one of those five average to poor seasons. In any case you could say the same about Drury. Personally I''d rather keep Doc and let Drury go.[/quote]

And lets not forget the League One team of the season. So by that rekoning, one of the best two Centre Backs in the League. Remember this is voted for by the players.

Southend away under Worthy. Another depressing and humiliating defeat. Doc comes on the radio and as usual spurts the we need to do it for the fans etc etc etc. Though it is the ultimate cliche I actually shouted at the radio ''ffs do your talking on the pitch!''

He''s done well this season. He will probably be signed by a middle to lower ranking champ side and fair play to him. But he''s out of contract and I believe Lambert can get better value players using his signing on fee and not insignificant wages than giving him a two or three year contract which I am sure he is insisting on.

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]We do know that if there wasn''t a injury to our defence, Doc would''ve gone a few months back.  Which indicates (to me anyway) that he must''ve been on good money.  Now as far as cash/wages go Lambert must think he could get greater value else where from a different player.  IMO.
[/quote]

Doc would''ve gone a few months back?? Why did the club choose to offer him tht 1 year extension to his deal then? Why didn''t they come to a financial agreement tat would have benefitted them and cancelled his contract? I think the whole ''high wage'' thing is a myth, if we could afford to renew his contract last season then we could this season, loads of people have been saying that why are you not taking it on board?

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]I find it all odd really.  At times in the Championship Doc was a flippin liability but it''s all forgotten.Lambert who we all think walks on water, makes a decision to get shot, people line up to defend Doc because all of a sudden he''s brilliant.  [/quote]Not everybody thought he was rubbish in the past of course...

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

If Whitbread was that good then why didn''t he play more last season?

[/quote]

because Lambert all season has stuck by players playing well, and

Doc has had a good season, as he easily should have in League 1.

This

is a good decision, though im not surprised by most reactions. As good

a season as hes had, hes still made mistakes, mistakes we cant afford

to make in the championship. We all know the mistakes/weaknesses he can

make/has and so does Lambert. Is this decision really so much of a

surprise to everyone? apparently he was told when Lambert came in to

find another club and only came back into the team through injuries. He

then played well and rightly retained his place, but we moving on and

up and need players that can go up to that next level.

The

fact theres been so much debate about Doc just shows me he has too many

weaknesses for the champ - I want to be talking about the CBs as solid

(or not talking about them at all as when a player is discussed on here

its usually to critisise!)

I also have simple reasons to trust in

Lambert - Winning League 1 from the position we were in and by 9

points, playing the BEST team from the squad that Gunn already had -

Bringing Rusty back in, playing Hoolahan in the right position, giving

Smith a chance (ok he didnt know how much that would pay off but well

done for seeing enough in him in training to play him against Wycombe),

making Holt captain and also for the differences HIS signings have made

- R.Martin, McNamee, Whitbread, Rose, Johnson and the first signing he

made - Forster!

Whitbread is still an unknown quantity but so

were Martin, McNamee, Johnson etc, Lambert has so far got the big

decisions right and he understandably wants someone he can see as being

a solid CB for his first season as a manager at this level. Id even say

someone unproven at champ but young and excelling at level hes at is

better than someone older and DEFINATELY dodgy at championship as Doc

has been for more than one season in the past.

1 good

season at League 1 level doesnt erase his Championship past. Lambert is

building a team to compete and finish in the best position possible

next season, and i agree Doc shouldnt be part of it.

The way some people talk you would think us getting relegated was down to Gary Doherty and no one else.I don''t think many players exactly covered themselves in glory last season.

[quote user="morty"]The way some people talk you would think us getting relegated was down to Gary Doherty and no one else.

I don''t think many players exactly covered themselves in glory last season.
[/quote]

I''m going to be interested to see who the nextlong term scape-goat is... spose it will be russell

[quote user="freddyf105"]

[quote user="morty"]The way some people talk you would think us getting relegated was down to Gary Doherty and no one else.I don''t think many players exactly covered themselves in glory last season.[/quote]

I''m going to be interested to see who the nextlong term scape-goat is... spose it will be russell

[/quote]Yeah, he''ll do, they have already been breaking him in for the role anyway.