Sign in to follow this  
SUPER YELLOW CANARY

Re: The Doc is on his bike......

Lamberts decisions have been mostly correct so far. I dont think anyone could deny Doherty must have been one of the top earners at our club and despite having a great season, his game still has flaws in it which have been shown up at the higher level. however,  probably on the strength of this season deserved a chance next year especially as he must have been feeling confident but Lambert must feel he can get someone in cheaper and younger. It wouldnt surprise me if the club wants younger players with the potential of resale value and Lambert has said himself he wants players under 30 years old.

Good luck in the future Doc.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.[:(][/quote]

Will you keep the picture in honour of the Doc, Morty?

[/quote]I shall indeed.[:)][/quote]

In all seriousness really surprised by this. Really big call by Lambert. But if he isn''t convinced by him in the championship then fair play.  But best of luck to the Doc. Been a bloody star this season when he could have easily sacked the season off in about August and just taken the money.

[/quote]

To be honest I''d very much doubt it''s got anything to do with the Championship because looking at it Lambert will know what Doherty has done in the game. Afterall nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has.

My guess would be the money side of it or perhaps the Doc himself would like to leave on a high and have a fresh start at a new club while he''s still got a few years on his side.

[/quote]

"Nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has"

Really? Because I was under the impression that this was his first winners medal, and he has no individual honours that I can speak of. He played a handful of games at Spurs and got ridiculed as a result, he played in a very poor Ireland defence in an international team which never qualified for a major tournament whilst he played. In fact, this is his first ever promotion. In fact, he is probably one of the LEAST successful senior players in our squad. Please for the bloke to have won something, but now is the time for him to take that trip to the USA.

Adam Drury, on the other hand, has a Championship winners medal and a League One winners medal.

Paul McVeigh now has a Championship winners medal, a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase winners medal.

Chris Martin now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Michael Spillane now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Gary Holt now has two League One winners medals, and the League Two top scorer award.

Jamie Cureton has won several League One and League Two top scorer awards.

Matt Gill captained Exeter City to two consecutive promotions.

Stephen Hughes, I believe, possesses more than one Scottish Premier League winners medal.

Russell Martin now has two League One winners medals.

Wes Hoolohan has now won promotion from League One for the second time.

Now, you tell me what Gary Dohery has "achieved" other than being comically labelled the ''Ginger Pele'' after a handful of games for a, frankly, crap Spurs team. You sound just like those journalists who give bias coverage towards famous clubs. Oh thats Doherty, the former Spurs player, the only player... he once played in the premiership.... Norwich aint so rubbish afterall :/

Whitbread is better, period.

[/quote]Gary Holt? Russell Martin two winners medals? FA Vase?

[quote user="The Black Panther"]Lets just wait and see what happens. Lambert may have a player lined up who is better than doherty and therefore making all these comments look stupid. Lets just wait and see what happens and keep all this disgrace nonsense under wraps until we know what the full outcome will be.[/quote]

Well lets hope he has more than ''a'' player lined up to play in defence as I''m not sure either Nelson or Askou will cut it at Championship level and Whitbread is constantly injured and when he isn''t, he hasn''t looked that great! The Doc was our most consistent talented central defender this season. Nelson was great in the air but is slow and his distribution is woeful just as Askou''s is.

Some people are going way over the top over the release of Doherty, he''s been here 6 years now and in truth he''s had one very good season at a lower level and 5 average to poor ones as part of a defence that''s conceded far to many goals at a higher level. There''s no room for sentiment in football and if we want to push towards the top end of the championship we will need better defenders than Gary Doherty. Right decision by Lambert imo, Doc has had his time here and we should wish him good luck and move on.

I have mixed feelings about this one.

I have to confess that I was never a huge fan of the Doc last time we were in the Championship. However, he came back well this season and I don''t think Nelson is as good a player (personal opinion).

This suggests to me that Lambert has another player lined up to come in. The Doc would be too good/expensive for a number three/four centre half.

Whitbread was brought in to play, Askou is good enough (in my opinion), Nelson would be adequate cover but I wouldn''t be surprised if someone like Makandawire turns up from Orient to play alongside Whitbread.

[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/S11.gif[/IMG]

I was really disappointed when I first heard. I''ve always stood by Doc when all were slating him. Had we had more with his guts and determination last season rather than a mob of spineless loanees we would not have been rellegated last season IMO.

Having said all that I think this is a clear indication that Lambert is aiming for the premiership. With the best will in the world Doc is not a top championship player and as his contract is up it is an oportunity for Lambert to let him go and to bring in someone who is. Could be an interesting close season coming up.

Football can be harsh, witness Gunn, but sometimes harsh decisions have to be taken and we all have to trust that Lambert knows what he''s up to.

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]rubbish player-pleased hes gone, proves we mean business next season[/quote]

Player of the Season 2005-6
3rd place PotS 2008-9
3rd place PotS 2009-10

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]rubbish player-pleased hes gone, proves we mean business next season[/quote]No idea why you always think your opinions warrant an entire thread...

[quote user="Stranger44"]

[quote user="The Black Panther"]Lets just wait and see what happens. Lambert may have a player lined up who is better than doherty and therefore making all these comments look stupid. Lets just wait and see what happens and keep all this disgrace nonsense under wraps until we know what the full outcome will be.[/quote]

Well lets hope he has more than ''a'' player lined up to play in defence as I''m not sure either Nelson or Askou will cut it at Championship level and Whitbread is constantly injured and when he isn''t, he hasn''t looked that great! The Doc was our most consistent talented central defender this season. Nelson was great in the air but is slow and his distribution is woeful just as Askou''s is.

[/quote]Spot on but it was at a level he is good enough to play at, the Championship is a different kettle of fish.

People were laughing earlier in the season when it looked like he was being let go, and he showed every single one of you who was laughing up as a complete mug by being our best defender this season.

You can include me in that, he proved me wrong and im glad he did. Cant understand it if Doc goes and Nelson stays, unless its about wages not ability???

This poster is, I believe, the same bozo who posts on Wrath of the Barclay as ''Selwyn''. Everyone thinks he''s an idiot on that site, too. 

Doo we think it could be that Doc was offered a contract on lower wages and turned it down? or just not offered a contract? I guess we will never know.

If wages has caused us to release our best centre back, then i''m worried. Maybe we all need to be toning down our predictions for next season, if money is that tight.

[quote user="Stranger44"]

[/quote]

I agree we probably need more then one defender. But all i''m saying is we shouldn''t jumpt to conclusions when we don''t know who Lambert has lined up.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"]Meh.[:(][/quote]

Will you keep the picture in honour of the Doc, Morty?

[/quote]I shall indeed.[:)][/quote]

In all seriousness really surprised by this. Really big call by Lambert. But if he isn''t convinced by him in the championship then fair play.  But best of luck to the Doc. Been a bloody star this season when he could have easily sacked the season off in about August and just taken the money.

[/quote]

To be honest I''d very much doubt it''s got anything to do with the Championship because looking at it Lambert will know what Doherty has done in the game. Afterall nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has.

My guess would be the money side of it or perhaps the Doc himself would like to leave on a high and have a fresh start at a new club while he''s still got a few years on his side.

[/quote]

"Nobody in our squad has done as well in football as he has"

Really? Because I was under the impression that this was his first winners medal, and he has no individual honours that I can speak of. He played a handful of games at Spurs and got ridiculed as a result, he played in a very poor Ireland defence in an international team which never qualified for a major tournament whilst he played. In fact, this is his first ever promotion. In fact, he is probably one of the LEAST successful senior players in our squad. Please for the bloke to have won something, but now is the time for him to take that trip to the USA.

Adam Drury, on the other hand, has a Championship winners medal and a League One winners medal.

Paul McVeigh now has a Championship winners medal, a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase winners medal.

Chris Martin now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Michael Spillane now has a League One winners medal, and an FA Vase Winners Medal.

Gary Holt now has two League One winners medals, and the League Two top scorer award.

Jamie Cureton has won several League One and League Two top scorer awards.

Matt Gill captained Exeter City to two consecutive promotions.

Stephen Hughes, I believe, possesses more than one Scottish Premier League winners medal.

Russell Martin now has two League One winners medals.

Wes Hoolohan has now won promotion from League One for the second time.

Now, you tell me what Gary Dohery has "achieved" other than being comically labelled the ''Ginger Pele'' after a handful of games for a, frankly, crap Spurs team.[/quote]

How about34 international capsNorwich City Player of the Season 2005-6League One Team of the Year 2009-10League One championship winner 2009-10

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]rubbish player-pleased hes gone, proves we mean business next season[/quote]Releasing a player in the League One Team of the Year proves we mean business how exactly?

Lest we forget, we did drop through 2 divisions after signing the Doc.

There was also no shortage of people calling for him to go on here after our last game against a proper team (Sunderland).

Good luck to the fella but I back Lambo''s decision on both financial and footballing grounds.

OTBC.

Agree with Black Panther. It''s a decision that''ll either be vindicated or proven wrong only this time next year. It''s bold.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Agree with Black Panther. It''s a decision that''ll either be vindicated or proven wrong only this time next year. It''s bold.[/quote]How come releasing Hucks wasn''t regarded as "bold"? Was it because we all thought Roeder was a dicksplash? [*-)]

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]2 WORDS- LEAGUE ONE[/quote]There are 24 football teams in League One.  Each has (usually) two centre backs, which makes 48 players to select from.Doherty was one of the two best centre backs in that league last season, if he made Team of the Year.Don''t you think on that basis he deserved a shot in the Championship?